Moose or Elk

fred14462

FNG
Would you rather go on a Nwefoundland guided moose hunt or a guided elk hunt? Thinking its one or the other for 2025. I have been on 2 moose hunts and loved every minute. Never been on a elk Hunt. Being a older hunter With hip and back surgery I am a little concerned about the elk. I am sure if thats what is decided I would be in the best shape possible. What would you do and why?

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Moose! But given you’ve already done that elk. Depending on the kind of elk hunt you go on they can potentially be easier or at least just as easy as moose.

OP
F

fred14462

FNG
I have a moose outfitter that is outstanding. Now I need to figure out what state and outfitter for elk.

Some Idaho outfitters have designated areas that provide them with exclusive access rights. Also don't need to play the points game and the outfitters manage getting your tags. It will cost you around $10k minimum, but it's an option.

Montana you can likely go early rifle in some wilderness areas with 1 point, but the number of animals isn't the greatest and opportunity can be very low.

NM or other states with landowners tags are another option if you don't mind spending some money.

Good luck!

I need to figure out what state and outfitter for elk.

Based on what you shared in your original post, if it's not something you are going to do alot of, and want to get one for the wall, I'd recommend a private land rifle hunt in New Mexico. I have been getting emails for openings this year for $11,000 to $23,000, landowner voucher included. Generally 280''-320" bulls with a slight chance of a larger one. Feel free to PM me if you want the contact info for some of these. Im not an agent or anything like that, just trying to help

Jp child

FNG
Would you rather go on a Nwefoundland guided moose hunt or a guided elk hunt? Thinking its one or the other for 2025. I have been on 2 moose hunts and loved every minute. Never been on a elk Hunt. Being a older hunter With hip and back surgery I am a little concerned about the elk. I am sure if thats what is decided I would be in the best shape possible. What would you do and why?

Elk! Perfer to stay in country is all

Not sure of the condition of your hip and back but elk country can be a real butt kicker. I believe moose hunting would be easier on your body. Never been moose hunting but have been elk hunting (archery). Guess it all depends where you go and how good the outfitter is. Like others have mentioned, rifle in New Mexico would be a good elk hunt.

If you have already been on a moose hunt I would Find a good guide that offers hunts on private land for elk. Elk meat is amazing and a big bull makes for a beautiful trophy.

WRO

WKR
I’d look at like 10-15 in nm, country isn’t that right by elk standards.

Easy to get hunts in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I highly recommend an elk hunt out West. You have already harvested a moose. Select an outfitter based on the quality and difficulty of the hunt that you want. You could do simple and relatively inexpensive ranch hunt for a cow elk to fill the freezer, a more challenging bull elk hunt on private land (most expensive), or a physically demanding backcountry public land hunt. All three are good choices depending on what you want out of the hunt.

Scottf270

WKR
I am at a similar spot myself. I have killed 4 great A-Y moose. Two were guided in NWT (2010 and 2012), two were diy drop off in Alaska (2019 and 2022). I'm on the list to return in 2025.

I have killed one smaller 5x5 elk on a trespass hunt in New Mexico in 2009. I never got into elk as I thought they were more accessible and I could hunt them anytime. They have started to interest me more now.

I'm 62 yrs old and in decent shape. Money is not unlimited. I'm trying to decide if it's time to forego the moose ( which I do love), and put my time and money into an above average elk hunt.

I will admit that a big elk would be a great trophy but do they really compare to a rut charged 60" bull moose? Let's hear some more opinions.

280rem

FNG
I will admit that a big elk would be a great trophy but do they really compare to a rut charged 60" bull moose? Let's hear some more opinions.
Bugling elk is pretty amazing! But honestly have an enormous bull moose fired up in close or watching one come from a ways off to your calls gets my vote. I’ll also cast my vote to moose for eating as well, although elk are excellent eating as well. Opportunities for elk are more available and widespread. In general elk numbers are thriving in a lot of areas. Moose numbers overall are down in most moose country, the exception would be west central Alaska. I’d personally try to hunt both as frequently as possible till health or finances became prohibitive. So tough the decisions we are faced with 😂