Most fun bird to hunt?

What is the most fun bird to hunt? Looking to get into hunting birds but wife won’t allow me to buy multiple gear. Turkey and duck you sit in a blind all day. Is quail the only bird you go out actively looking for?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My first wife tried to limit what I could have in the way f hunting and fishing gear. My current wife never made that mistake. In all fairness, when we started to get serious in our relationship, I told her I hunt and fish a lot, if you have problems with that, it will be a problem. never had any problems after that talk. Back to game bird hunting, all upland birds are fun to hun, quail, grouse, pheasant, Chukar, dove. Chukar are only fun to hunt thirst time, after that, it's pure revenge.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
...That said. A dove hunt (with the right crowd) is a blast. Bad pun intended.

We have somewhat of a yearly ritual. I get to go on a Georgia dove hunt on opening day and eat like a king and usually have a really good shoot also. Only thing is the guys I hunt with are country through & through. Sometimes I need a translator to understand what they are saying.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
I love to turkey hunt. If you like to shoot, there`s nothing like a good dove shoot ( can be damnedly frustrating, though). Grew up hunting wild quail in Alabama. Hunted put quail one time and never have again. Like shooting chickens compared to wild birds.

Dos XX

WKR
If I had to choose one, it would be wild quail. They aren't as abundant as they were back in the good old days. Still worth the effort though.

That said, I have never hunted wild Chukar. I might could be converted.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
If you are smart with what gear you buy you can use it for almost anything you want to hunt. Also, duck hunting doesn’t have to be “sitting around all day”.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
In the northeast youre probably closest to decent ruffed grouse hunting. My favorite bird to hunt are pheasants. I like the places they live. It takes a tough relentless dog to be effective on them consistently. Quail over pointers are great but decent populations are hard to find. I have hunted ducks with several guys who live for it, I don’t get it. I wouldnt drive 10 minutes to sit in a duck blind in a slough or a field but plenty of guys love it.

sram9102

WKR
Walking field edges in the fall for doves is pretty high up my list of fun hunts.

Only different gear you need from turkeys to doves is shells. Birds are one of the easiest things to get into hunting if you have access to them. Jump shooting waterfowl is still one of my favorite things to do.

Hunted snows last year for the first-time won't be the last, it was a blast. I also enjoy Canada goose hunting but them little brown rockets over dogs is where it's at.
Guided snow hunts for several years, there is snow goose hunting and snow goose killing. I much prefer the latter. When you got 8 guys running 2 semi autos each with extension tubes and you put 300 birds down in a morning that is unforgettable. Just gotta get through single digit and double digit days.

dtrkyman

WKR
Turkey for me, no blinds. Hunting them out west is covering lots of ground in amazing places.

Next would be decoying ducks, Mallard's and Teal are my favorite.

A good dove shoot and Canada geese in a cron stubble field.

I like upland but no longer have a dog so it is down the list!