CO Bird Hunting

This is my first post so want to start with a little introduction. I moved to CO (Denver) Fall of ‘21 after finishing up college in Tennessee where I’m originally from. Grew up dove and duck hunting with my dad. While hunting I would hear stories of the days when the quail and grouse were plentiful and my dad hunted them most weekends over his English pointer. Was not as fortunate to have these populations when I was growing up so I settled for stories in a duck blind.

Fast forward severals years and I now live in CO, primarily focusing on elk hunting and fishing on our great public lands. I’ve been able to harvest some grouse while out elk scouting which has been fantastic. The more I’m out there finding them, the more I wish that I could be hunting them over a dog. I know that a bird dog is in my future; However, I currently live in an apartment and will not own a dog, let alone a bird dog, until I have a yard and better access to areas I can regularly run them. I also want the opportunity to better understand these dogs and learn more about them before owning one for myself.

So basically what I’m getting at, is would any of you bird hunters in the Denver area be willing to let a greenhorn like myself tag along on a hunt to better learn about bird hunting, the dogs, and the sport in general? I am not looking for your spots, in fact I have spots of my own from elk scouting that I’d be more than happy to share. I’m also willing to share what limited elk hunting knowledge I’ve accumulated over the last 3 years, or a fishing trip down the river on my raft. Or hell, I’ll even trade some tax advice (CPA by trade). I just want the opportunity to hunt over a dog and learn more as I inevitably progress further into the rabbit hole of bird hunting.

The pointing lab competitions are good events as well. The best part of upland hunting is that it can be done by anyone with no special equipment. Find a spot and walk. Make all the mistakes we all have made and have a good time.

Larry - sounds like we are the same age and i recently moved out here in '21. Have ran my goldens the last two season for grouse, ptargmigan, bandtail pigeon, pheasant and quail. Dont know if i can PM yet on here but would be happy to have you join us.

Only problem I can see is me and my hunting buddies are all Clemson guys - and after that bowl game.....