Mountain house date

Randle

WKR
What is the most outdated mountain house meal you have eaten?
I have a few dated best by June 2017 . Eat or not.?

We just ate it last night , wifey wanted to try it and I have plenty, plus making my own meals so . … Wifey is still kickin this morning. Just wondering how old is too old. Freeze dried I really cant see how they would ever go bad.
Man Mac7, 11 years old that's along time past the date , taste the same?

From their web site FAQ

What is the shelf life of your foods?
Our meals in pouches, kits and cans all have a freeze-dried, emergency food industry-leading guaranteed shelf life and Taste Guarantee of 30 years. The only exception is for our MCWs and novelty items. MCWs have a 3-year shelf life from date of manufacture. Novelty items such as our ice cream & cheesecake bites have a 2-year shelf life.

What happens after the shelf life has passed?
The food will likely still be good! You may notice a slight change in flavor or texture, but we've eaten food from both pouches and cans that were over 30 years old and it was still tasty!

The one I had from 08 tasted fine with my usual splash of Tabasco. Now some of the old mre's I've had haven't been so good.

I had a couple 15 years past the date, didn't realize till I Checked the date later, still tasted fine. Still kept the box I had about 20 still in it. I guess in a real emergency I could still eat them.

Back