Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

slick

WKR
It really came down on you. I don't know if I got rained on that hard, but I used the shelter this weekend in MT and had a pretty consistent rainy day on Saturday, some hail and snow to tag along with it. It held up great. Thanks Muleman.

parshal

WKR
I got rained on this past weekend in mine, too. No leaks at all. I did have a lot of condensation inside but it didn't help that I was pitched on wet ground and had my wet gear in with me at night. I can't believe the quality of this shelter for the cost. Outstanding.

Just picked one up from a member here....
Can't wait to try it out in WA High Buck Hunt here in a couple of weeks!

Question: do you guys use some sort of reference for how far out to stake it, before placing the trekking poles? Or is it just trial and error?
I set mine up in my yard and had to adjust a couple of times, but I am wondering if there is a quicker way.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just picked one up from a member here....
Can't wait to try it out in WA High Buck Hunt here in a couple of weeks!

Question: do you guys use some sort of reference for how far out to stake it, before placing the trekking poles? Or is it just trial and error?
I set mine up in my yard and had to adjust a couple of times, but I am wondering if there is a quicker way.
I just kind of poke and hope and then readjust

There is a reference guide on the side to show you how long each pole has to be. Once they are in place you can stake it out. Basically a few inches off the ground if nice for air flow. Or you can pin it to ground to keep weather out.

Gotcha. I was staking it out BEFORE I put the poles in...maybe I'll try reversing the order.
I'm thinking that may get rough in the weather though!

Thanks

slick

WKR
Just as live2hunt said, stake out the back three first. There are directions on the stuff sack it comes with.

I'm curious though, for those of you using the shelter with a bit of room at the bottom (not cinched down to the ground) did you tie some paracord to the loops so you can stake it out further and raise it off the ground some?

Rucker61

WKR
Just as live2hunt said, stake out the back three first. There are directions on the stuff sack it comes with.

I'm curious though, for those of you using the shelter with a bit of room at the bottom (not cinched down to the ground) did you tie some paracord to the loops so you can stake it out further and raise it off the ground some?

Yes, although since my Luna 5 has a bug net skirt, I used actual guylines and linelocs. For the LT, the paracord should be fine.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used mine for 6 days in CO and the only incident was my fault in poor site selection which caused some minor flooding on one side. Other than that it was a great little shelter.

I do have a question though for those that use a wood stove does that effectively make it a one man shelter or would two still fit?

Manosteel

WKR
You can use it as a two man shelter but it will be very tight. My buddy and I just came back from a 4 day trip using the LT with small Kifaru stove. I am 5'10' 185lbs and my buddy is 5'11" 200lbs and we fit with room in between to change etc. But packs and bows were outside under a tarp. It wasn't wet, we had tons of snow the few days before but nothing when we were out, so it was good. You just have to make sure you have good stove placement, the last night we had both packs inside becuz rain/wet snow was a threat. One man with a stove and you would be a king of kings in a mini hot castle :)

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use it as a two man shelter but it will be very tight. My buddy and I just came back from a 4 day trip using the LT with small Kifaru stove. I am 5'10' 185lbs and my buddy is 5'11" 200lbs and we fit with room in between to change etc. But packs and bows were outside under a tarp. It wasn't wet, we had tons of snow the few days before but nothing when we were out, so it was good. You just have to make sure you have good stove placement, the last night we had both packs inside becuz rain/wet snow was a threat. One man with a stove and you would be a king of kings in a mini hot castle :)
Where did you have yours placed?