Mr. Heater Buddy Problems at 10,500'???

WKR
Yikes. Used a lil buddy about 6 time at the end of the season with no problems. Now I'm kind of afraid of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some "friends" talked me into hauling a cargo trailer to Dillon mt instead of my rv so I could bring there atv's. Around 9k elevation and the weather turned bitter cold around -20 and all we had to heat the trailer was a buddy heater. It would not stay lit. Ended up sleeping in the truck. I would never trust one above 6k feet.

BigDog00

WKR
I used one multiple times in my Kodiak Canvas tent right at 10k this season without any issues at all. I didn't run it all night, just before bed and when we woke up.

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
We used 3 on our last bull elk hunt to keep warm at 6800'. Of the 3 only one would stay lit the whole night. The other two would shut off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
I have the double burner Nuway stove in my Arctic Oven, it is very nice when,,,it isn't leaking,,,just returned from trip and the darn thing started leaking for the second time,,,I do carry a little spray bottle, to check for leaks when I set it up, and a co2 monitor. I had to resort to the backup Buddy heater from the boat the last day,,,it was a poor replacement. I like the adjustability and the incredible amount of heat it puts off, I was waterfowl hunting and got my clothing soaked a couple of times, I would fire it up on high, toss the wet stuff up in the attics,,half an hour later it is bone dry, I couldn't stay inside for the drying process, probably about 150 degrees in there, but would have dry gear for the afternoon hunt. I have a call in now to Nuway for repairs, if I can't get this fixed I may be forced into the wood stove option. In this wet/humid world wood can be a real pain though. I like to sleep very cold and the ability to stop/start the heat quickly is why I chose the propane option. I have used this NuWay up to 8000 feet and it worked great,,until it sprung a leak. Has anyone used the nuway at higher elevations than 8000?

ericF

WKR
^^Why would it make a difference if you leave the line pressurized while not using it? It is pressurized while you are using it.

I realized my post was vague and could be construed as confrontational at best. So I am adding; the reason for the filter is the oil that can come through the extension hoses used to connect to refillable tanks. The filter blocks the oil from getting into the unit. In other words the oil is either present or not, and burning the fuel in the line off has no effect on that aspect.

Yes, I could have been a little more clear on turning it off if you don't have a fuel filter versus not an issue if you do have the filter. Back when i got mine, there were quite a few people that were having issues in their hoses due to Plasticizer and oil. Here is the documentation that I found on it.

"When using the Big Buddy Heater with the 20-pound tank, the regulator and control valve can get clogged by residue formed due to the high PSI from the propane tank. This can be avoided by turning off the tank first and allowing the fuel left in the hose to burn up completely, rather than just switching off the heater. Using a gas line filter also prevents this clogging."

I gave up on mine after the last ice fishing trip a week ago. I now have a Texsport one that is much cheaper, but hopefully more reliable. May have my Mr Buddy up for sale soon.