MSR Carbon Core

Mtnboy

WKR
I was looking in to these last year myself, I'd be curious to know how well they work.

Just my .02 but Aron did a review of the new & improved Easton stakes & I tried the 9inch version & am impressed. I used to pull the heads off them, but the newer ones have been great. Im going to order shorter "full medal jacket"stakes next. Not to be confused with the "Easton full medal jacket" arrow shafts.

OP
Backpack Hunter
I have used the sorex stakes. They broke pretty easily for me, basically using an arrow shaft for a stake.

Did the 9in hold well? Would you use them alone? What kind of soil did you use them in?

Any chance of a link to Aron's review? Can't seem to find it on my phone.

I have used the sorex stakes. They broke pretty easily for me, basically using an arrow shaft for a stake.

Did the 9in hold well? Would you use them alone? What kind of soil did you use them in?

Any chance of a link to Aron's review? Can't seem to find it on my phone.
I will try to find the link & post it. He reviewed the Easton stakes as well as some Easton trekking poles ( I think). There apparently is a new dude running Easton & he addressed the past problems of the stakes. The 9s held up great in sand, compacted soil, & snow soaked soil (mud). I used them for at least 10 days, I threaded Kelty triptease line through the heads to make them easier to pull out, & I couldn't pull the heads off. I don't baby tent stakes. I probably poundem harder than I should in case somebody ties a truck to my tent & tries to pull it over. I like longer stakes for sand & wet ground, but often I don't have either, which is why Im going to buy some shorter ones. But yes I would definitely use them alone.

Im not very computer smart, but if you go to the little window @ near the top right of this page where it says, advanced search & type in "Easton stakes & trekking poles" that video Aron made will pop right up.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded my stakes in 2013. I looked at the MSR carbon cores, but ultimately decided on the Easton Nanos. I use a combination of 6" and 9" models on my Mega Tarp and other shelters. About 16 days of use so far and they did well. Very light and durable.

Ozz08

WKR
I upgraded my stakes in 2013. I looked at the MSR carbon cores, but ultimately decided on the Easton Nanos. I use a combination of 6" and 9" models on my Mega Tarp and other shelters. About 16 days of use so far and they did well. Very light and durable.

I used the same stakes with my mega but I had a few of the full metal jackets in there as well. However my stakes didn't mKe it through the first pitch. Not at all the stakes fault. All I saw was grams and ounces in weight savings and didn't think about where I would be using the stakes. To top it off I ordered the stakes last minute and didn't even try them before taking them up the mountain. Make sure you are not planning on using these stakes in the granite rock floor of the Sierra Nevada. A lot of places in the sierras once you get through the rock the soil really loosens up so I thought the easton stakes would work but they didn't. Out of 18 stakes I think 8 of them got destroyed (tips mushroomed, folded/collapsed at the heads, etc.

So if you are planning to use these stakes in the rocky ground of the sierras they are not a good option for that.
Again NOT the easton stakes fault. They are just not made for that and I should have known better. They did take a pretty good beating before bending or failing so I would say they are very tough stakes.

Ozz08

WKR
I don't see why they wouldn't work great on any ground except the granite I tried to pound them through. I haven't replaced the stakes I ruined yet so I haven't tried them again.