Mtn Lion Ban Filed in Colorado

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m going since I think it’s a bad look for us to sit on the sidelines and not have anyone to raise questions/ comments/ concerns about east slope lion management. The antis will no doubt be trying to get signatures from those that may be neutral or there for just information. Those people need there to hear pro science based management perspectives and not just hear comments or questions from the anti’s. I’m assuming it will be a lot of Q&A, and I’m guessing unless folks are asking cpw reps the right questions: ie. How long has mt. Lion hunting been going on? Is the lion population stable with hunting? What would cpw use to deal with problem cats if there was a ban? (State paid houndsmen) no doubt.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Had a wild thought… maybe all these anti cat hunter types have toxic-plasmosis and really this whole movement is spurred by a gut dwelling parasite that is looking out for self preservation by using a bunch of cat ladies to continue the parasitic life cycle… this theory makes the most sense to me. I think they all need to be tested to ensure it’s not just the parasite controlling their brains…

Hnthrdr

WKR
Has anyone seen folks out gathering signatures?
Yep olde town Arvada… they are hammering the “trophy hunting” line hard, a non hunter friend of mine and her adult children were approached, she asked a couple questions which the signature gatherer had no answer for like “what do you mean trophy hunting?” “Are they being killed legally or illegally?” And “are they endangered?” Cat lady had no good answers so thank god she didn’t sign

CoMulies

FNG
Yep olde town Arvada… they are hammering the “trophy hunting” line hard, a non hunter friend of mine and her adult children were approached, she asked a couple questions which the signature gatherer had no answer for like “what do you mean trophy hunting?” “Are they being killed legally or illegally?” And “are they endangered?” Cat lady had no good answers so thank god she didn’t sign
I keep hearing the trophy hunting line also. Tell em there are already wanton waste laws, the meat must be harvested, they don’t know what to say to that.

Gila

WKR
Within a couple of years of the ban in California, the lions were killing joggers on the trails. They also stalk kids at the bus stops. The young males starved to the point of hamstringing cattle. The deer in those areas are gone. The apex predators are no more and so is their previous habitat. There is no place for the predators to come back to. The anti hunters don’t give a rip about the predators though. Their agenda is to reduce the number of game animal tags due to predation.

The antis go to different states if they think the political climate might give them some traction. Sometimes it is if a state has a more ”sympathetic” game commission. They tried it in South Dakota a number of years ago, that state is of course a red state across the board. It was quickly shot down but the antis thought they might get some traction with a referendum. They didn’t….

They will show up in your state….if they haven’t already!

Within a couple of years of the ban in California, the lions were killing joggers on the trails. They also stalk kids at the bus stops. The young males starved to the point of hamstringing cattle. The deer in those areas are gone. The apex predators are no more and so is their previous habitat. There is no place for the predators to come back to. The anti hunters don’t give a rip about the predators though. Their agenda is to reduce the number of game animal tags due to predation.

The antis go to different states if they think the political climate might give them some traction. Sometimes it is if a state has a more ”sympathetic” game commission. They tried it in South Dakota a number of years ago, that state is of course a red state across the board. It was quickly shot down but the antis thought they might get some traction with a referendum. They didn’t….

They will show up in your state….if they haven’t already!
Absolutely! They are really focused hard on Washington, Oregon, and Colorado right now but also seeing them working Vermont to exclude hunters from the wildlife commission. We have seen them attempt some maneuvers in Arizona and New Mexico, with varying success so far. The anti-hunters are seeing the first signs of well organized and well funded opposition here in Colorado with Coloradans For Responsible Wildlife Management (donate and/or get involved at www.savethehuntcolorado.com). If the mountain lion ban is defeated in November the CRWM blueprint could be used in other states that are in the crosshairs.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just got back from a walk with my girlfriend at Sloan's Lake, the Cats Against Trophies people are out in full force right now "educating" the yuppies on their afternoon strolls.
Yuck, they said they are behind on signatures but I’m sure the nice weather in a few weeks will get them to the small goal of 120k

BWise5707

FNG
Best part is the hippies on the frontrange will feel it soon enough, heck that cat last year picked off like 10-20 pups in Rollinsville in a matter of weeks. But call it “trophy hunting” and lie about how hounds are unethical, and how it serves no purpose and it’s all over but the crime
This! As soon as these people start losing their pets, they may change their perspectives on the cute and cuddly big kitties.

Cruebee

FNG
Anyone have any input as to what individuals can do to help prevent tis from going forward or getting worse? Like who should we be writing letters to and calling the office of and so on?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Anyone have any input as to what individuals can do to help prevent tis from going forward or getting worse? Like who should we be writing letters to and calling the office of and so on?
Currently they are trying to gather signatures to get it in the ballot they need 100,000 plus signatures in 90 days, so they will likely hit that, then it will be on the ballot in November so educate every voting Co resident adult you know to not vote for it

Cruebee

FNG
Currently they are trying to gather signatures to get it in the ballot they need 100,000 plus signatures in 90 days, so they will likely hit that, then it will be on the ballot in November so educate every voting Co resident adult you know to not vote for it
Yeah, pretty much one day at the right Whole Foods and it is on the ballot.

The language is also so shitty in the initiative. It is basically a starting point/jumping off point to ban all hunting. Not just lion hunting. I'm trying to talk to as many people as I can about it and provide the real facts, not this ballot box conservation.

North American Conservation model has been proven effective for years. No reason for Colorado to start trying to fix what isn't broken.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah, pretty much one day at the right Whole Foods and it is on the ballot.

The language is also so shitty in the initiative. It is basically a starting point/jumping off point to ban all hunting. Not just lion hunting. I'm trying to talk to as many people as I can about it and provide the real facts, not this ballot box conservation.

North American Conservation model has been proven effective for years. No reason for Colorado to start trying to fix what isn't broken.
Yep they lead off the signature gathering speech by calling it “trophy hunting” and use a bunch of BS talking points.