Muzzleloader Options

CiK01

WKR
The unit I hunted this year offered a second chance season with a muzzleloader. I don't have one but would like to look into them. Anybody have any recommendations on muzzleloaders for Idaho elk hunting?

Lots of options but the main things to remember is that you need an open ignition (musket or percussion caps) and you'll be using round ball or a full bore conical to stay legal. You also can't use a scope on them in Idaho either.

I picked up a knight bighorn to hunt Idaho this year. I put a Williams peep sight on it and I am happy with it. After tinkering with the load I am fairly confident in shooting out to 200.

I picked up a knight bighorn to hunt Idaho this year. I put a Williams peep sight on it and I am happy with it. After tinkering with the load I am fairly confident in shooting out to 200.

Nice! 200yds with a muzzleloader is great.

Any other brands to look into? Stay away from?

I would never buy a Traditions again, have a NW Mag and hate it, the camo has pretty much completely peeled off the gun and the firing pin (musket caps) sticks horribly even after lubing it. Have contacted them 3-4 times because i want to replace the firing pin hoping that might fix it and no response. I got a deal on it and used Cabelas $$$ so i am not out very much money on it but the thing is just junk.

I have a Knight Bighorn as well. Do you mind sharing your powder/bullet combination? Thanks!

I'm using the no excuses 460gr bullet, 85 gr 777 ffg (I would like to use more but my groups open up), and musket cap. You need to use something between the bullet and powder or it won't group at all. I had good luck with a traditions "wonder wad" but ran out and don't have a local source so I've been cutting the petals off of a harvesters crushed rib sabot and using the base between the powder and bullet and that is working just fine. There is quite a bit of drop at 200 but with the Williams sight with target knobs I can adjust for that. Check out the muzzleloader forum here on rokslide there are guys that know a lot more than me, I got my muzzleloader this spring and have learned a ton from them.

Back