My 2024 Dall Pack LIst

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
https://lighterpack.com/r/iaoz9l
I’m finalizing my kit for my NWT Dall hunt first week of August. We will be choppered in to our camp and most likely hunt from there with short spike outs. (At least that’s my understanding! Lol). 8-9 days in the field.
I’ve used everything in the field but open to suggestions. Thanks.

You have quite a bit of room to cut weight. I'll talk a closer look a little later, but there are definitely some things you can eliminate.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Granted I will probably never do that hunt so take this as general advice. I could never find a reason to carry the zip offs bottoms and down over pants. If spending more time glassing just bring the down, more time walking then just bring the zip offs. If cold enough to need both I would go to a fleece lined pant and bring down pants. Might not cut a ton of weight but noticeable bulk in the pack. If you want to keep both maybe consider replacing the 200 zip off with the 97. They are 1/2 the weight and bulk and just as warm, also more comfortable as their waistband isn’t overly thick like the 200. Mostly because of the waistband but the 97 dries quicker.

https://lighterpack.com/r/iaoz9l
I’m finalizing my kit for my NWT Dall hunt first week of August. We will be choppered in to our camp and most likely hunt from there with short spike outs. (At least that’s my understanding! Lol). 8-9 days in the field.
I’ve used everything in the field but open to suggestions. Thanks.
Besides for the things that are optional on a guided hunt, ie. spotter/tripod etc., I’d say your kit looks great. You obviously know what works for you and that shows in your selection. You’re on a guided hunt, so will never have to carry a full animal, as well as your gear. Shedding weight is critical when you are hunting unsupported and or solo. Guided, you’ll never be that heavy, even when packing out.

cbeard64

WKR
Seems like a fair amount of redundancy especially considering it’s a guided hunt.

Tent, bivy and tarp?
Tent will probably be enough but seems like bivy could go for sure.

Guide should have kill kit. Guide will probably have a multi-tool too so SA knife not needed.

2 boxes of ammo is OK to bring in case rifle zero is knocked off but 10 rounds (a box at most) is plenty to pack.

I would also ditch the flagging, pillow (I use stuff sack w/puffy), puffy pants (certainly not necessary on an early August hunt), bug jacket, and probably two but at least one pair of gloves.

Check with your outfitter about what guides typically have with them.

I agree with some of the other comments. Do you know what your guide will” have? Different hunts but my guide had a tarp, stove and fuel, etc. Alsotalk to your guide/outfitter because there are a few things you might need like a cup for coffee, light weight bowl for oatmeal, etc. I also would think I you could easily get by with a smaller bag but regardless the weight savings in small. I would definitely recommend taking your own tripod, spotter and first aid kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Granted I will probably never do that hunt so take this as general advice. I could never find a reason to carry the zip offs bottoms and down over pants. If spending more time glassing just bring the down, more time walking then just bring the zip offs. If cold enough to need both I would go to a fleece lined pant and bring down pants. Might not cut a ton of weight but noticeable bulk in the pack. If you want to keep both maybe consider replacing the 200 zip off with the 97. They are 1/2 the weight and bulk and just as warm, also more comfortable as their waistband isn’t overly thick like the 200. Mostly because of the waistband but the 97 dries quicker.
Noted and sound advice. I rarley pack in the 200’s so I’ll most likely make that change.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a fair amount of redundancy especially considering it’s a guided hunt.

Tent, bivy and tarp?
Tent will probably be enough but seems like bivy could go for sure.

Guide should have kill kit. Guide will probably have a multi-tool too so SA knife not needed.

2 boxes of ammo is OK to bring in case rifle zero is knocked off but 10 rounds (a box at most) is plenty to pack.

I would also ditch the flagging, pillow (I use stuff sack w/puffy), puffy pants (certainly not necessary on an early August hunt), bug jacket, and probably two but at least one pair of gloves.

Check with your outfitter about what guides typically have with them.
Thanks for the tips. I Was thinking the Bivy would be with me on most days incase we need to spend the night on the mountain. Tarp is something I hope my guide has and I can leave at the lodge. I try to live by “not packing my fears” but I also want to be responsible. I’m a total greenhorn when it comes to sheep hunting!

schmalzy

WKR
I think you’re pretty solid. As others mentioned, I’d chat with guide. The spotter is always hotly debated. I brought one and glad I did, but can definitely see the argument for not bringing it.

Every hunt is different, but no chance you’d get me leaving puffy pants behind. I’d keep the bivy; 5oz in event of a siwash (which is very possible haha) is worth it.

I’d go through your possibles/toiletries/kill kit. Not saying you need to trim it but you could probably shave some weight there. Kinda nice having your own game bags as then you aren’t trying to get the guises stuff back to him at base camp etc.

2 spares of boxers might be overkill.

Will take another pass but I think you’re on right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
It’s hard not to overpack especially your first time. My gear was similar to yours (probably more even) on my first guided hunt and my guide went through it and about a third of it was left at base camp. I was packing more as if it were a solo hunt instead of a guided two man hunt.

The spotter debate is a hot one. I’m personally fine with having only one spotter but I always bring my spotter/tripod setup because oftentimes the guide’s optics are not high quality so we take mine. Most of the time you won’t know what kind of equipment the guide has until you get there.

I guess I’m old school but IMO puffy pants are just trendy at the moment. I’ve hunted out west/up north for going on 20 years from August through October without them with no problem. My legs have never gotten cold. Again, I certainly can’t see they would be necessary for an early August hunt. If for some reason you run into unseasonable cold weather and/or wind just slip on your rain gear.

If you’re spiking out I assume your tent will be with you unless I am missing something. I do carry a SOL emergency bivy and it has come in handy a couple of times when we had to sleep on the mountain.

Packing for your fears is fine but I think you will find that the more you spend time mountain hunting the lighter your pack will become. Lots of gear can pull double duty.

Sound like a great trip I’m envious. Been on August sheep hunts in the Yukon and love that time of year up north. Good luck and have fun!

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
You can wash your underwear in a ziploc bag, warm water and soap. They’ll be dry by morning. Don’t bring 2. Don’t bring the bivy or the bug shirt. You can also pee in a ziploc bag instead of a Gatorade bottle just dump it outside the vestibule immediately. Dont bring swiss army knife. Your crocs and wiggys weigh in at 32 ounces together. I would choose a trail runner to replace both. Your pants will be dry in 20minutes and wiggys wont do you much good in above thigh water. In fact theycreate way more drag which makes crossing harder. Do you really want to be crossing thigh deep rivers in crocs? If the river crossings are mild, below the knee id take wiggys and leave the crocs. Leave the spotter but bring the tripod.

Good advice cbeard
“The spotter debate is a hot one. I’m personally fine with having only one spotter but I always bring my spotter/tripod setup because oftentimes the guide’s optics are not high quality so we take mine. Most of the time you won’t know what kind of equipment the guide has until you get there. ”

Snyd

WKR
You've got a Chopper and a Meat Packer!! Take more food and definitely more coffee! Ditch the Pocket Rocket for a stove that works in the wind and doesn't guzzle fuel. Like an MSR Reactor.

Have a great trip!

Yup, more coffee for sure..... :D

P8120068.jpg

P8120068.jpg

MSR Reactor in the wind. No Prob...

P8140106.jpg

Last edited:
OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
You can wash your underwear in a ziploc bag, warm water and soap. They’ll be dry by morning. Don’t bring 2. Don’t bring the bivy or the bug shirt. You can also pee in a ziploc bag instead of a Gatorade bottle just dump it outside the vestibule immediately. Dont bring swiss army knife. Your crocs and wiggys weigh in at 32 ounces together. I would choose a trail runner to replace both. Your pants will be dry in 20minutes and wiggys wont do you much good in above thigh water. In fact theycreate way more drag which makes crossing harder. Do you really want to be crossing thigh deep rivers in crocs? If the river crossings are mild, below the knee id take wiggys and leave the crocs. Leave the spotter but bring the tripod.

Good advice cbeard
“The spotter debate is a hot one. I’m personally fine with having only one spotter but I always bring my spotter/tripod setup because oftentimes the guide’s optics are not high quality so we take mine. Most of the time you won’t know what kind of equipment the guide has until you get there. ”
Thx. I really appreciate your comments. To clarify I'm not overly concerned about my total pack weight, I feel it's very manageable for me. If I use soap to wash my boxers I'd have to bring soap! Not on my pack list. I'm down w peeing in a ziplock, good call. Wiggys will be a guide decision. I'm not a fan of crossing creeks or rivers tha flirt with my crotch so very hopeful that's not in my future unless it's an emergency.

Crocks vs lightweight trail shoes has been on my mind but I can't find a pair of trail shoes that come close to the weight of crocs. Would love to hear of a few. Crocks are simply for camp comfort and low level creek crossings but primarily for camp.

I'm not sure I'll get the spotter debate figured out till final pack out at base camp.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
You've got a Chopper and a Meat Packer!! Take more food and definitely more coffee! Ditch the Pocket Rocket for a stove that works in the wind and doesn't guzzle fuel. Like an MSR Reactor.

Have a great trip!

Yup, more coffee for sure..... :D

P8120068.jpg

P8120068.jpg

MSR Reactor in the wind. No Prob...

P8140106.jpg
Haha. I hear ya. I have both stoves so will consider taking my reactor. My thought was I would only be using my pocket rocket in my tent for morning coffee and evening cocoa. Let the guide bring the beefy stove for our meals. Still, I'll reconsider. Thanks for the comment!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went through the whole should I bring the spotter/tripod thing last year; ended up bringing it and would most likely again (the tripod for 100% sure- better glassing with binos and I can shoot off it if needed).

I ended siwashing on my hunt- so the larger ccf pad (20x50"), the emergency bivy along with a puffy jacket AND pants saved the day night. My guide and packer weren't so prepared and they suffered- not a wink of sleep and froze. I wasn't toasty by any stretch, but did get a little sleep and didn't suffer too much. This I would carry again for sure.

I had a 8x10' tarp, but so did my guide- I left mine behind at camp.

I had my own stove (and even brought my own food)- this I would do again. It was nice not having to bother the guide in the morning or evening when I wanted a warm drink or to eat.

I think you can definitely save some weight with the waders/Crocs. I used a light (very light) pair of trail runners- decent vibram soles that did well on pretty slick rock and they stay on vs Crocs- lighter too. Just roll your pants up (or if deeper, shed your pants) and put them on. They were fine around camp when I wanted to get out of boots too.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/lightest-camp-shoe.201796/page-8#post-2595657

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hard not to overpack especially your first time. My gear was similar to yours (probably more even) on my first guided hunt and my guide went through it and about a third of it was left at base camp. I was packing more as if it were a solo hunt instead of a guided two man hunt.

The spotter debate is a hot one. I’m personally fine with having only one spotter but I always bring my spotter/tripod setup because oftentimes the guide’s optics are not high quality so we take mine. Most of the time you won’t know what kind of equipment the guide has until you get there.

I guess I’m old school but IMO puffy pants are just trendy at the moment. I’ve hunted out west/up north for going on 20 years from August through October without them with no problem. My legs have never gotten cold. Again, I certainly can’t see they would be necessary for an early August hunt. If for some reason you run into unseasonable cold weather and/or wind just slip on your rain gear.

If you’re spiking out I assume your tent will be with you unless I am missing something. I do carry a SOL emergency bivy and it has come in handy a couple of times when we had to sleep on the mountain.

Packing for your fears is fine but I think you will find that the more you spend time mountain hunting the lighter your pack will become. Lots of gear can pull double duty.

Sound like a great trip I’m envious. Been on August sheep hunts in the Yukon and love that time of year up north. Good luck and have fun!
Thank you, i love geeking out on gear lists & I appreciate your thoughts. On puffy pants, they are really light and pack down small. I almost always have them on my backcountry hunts as insurance and part of my sleep system allowing me to go down in bag weight. Spending my last 17 years in Colorado it's so hard to predict the temps especially above 10k.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the whole should I bring the spotter/tripod thing last year; ended up bringing it and would most likely again (the tripod for 100% sure- better glassing with binos and I can shoot off it if needed).

I ended siwashing on my hunt- so the larger ccf pad (20x50"), the emergency bivy along with a puffy jacket AND pants saved the day night. My guide and packer weren't so prepared and they suffered- not a wink of sleep and froze. I wasn't toasty by any stretch, but did get a little sleep and didn't suffer too much. This I would carry again for sure.

I had a 8x10' tarp, but so did my guide- I left mine behind at camp.

I had my own stove (and even brought my own food)- this I would do again. It was nice not having to bother the guide in the morning or evening when I wanted a warm drink or to eat.

I think you can definitely save some weight with the waders/Crocs. I used a light (very light) pair of trail runners- decent vibram soles that did well on pretty slick rock and they stay on vs Crocs- lighter too. Just roll your pants up (or if deeper, shed your pants) and put them on. They were fine around camp when I wanted to get out of boots too.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/lightest-camp-shoe.201796/page-8#post-2595657
Thanks! Do you have the spec on the trail runners?

I can't imagine trying to take a leak in a ziplock or a bottle. Tried the bottle one time. Much easier (and safer!) to crawl outside. It's not like a guy is at 20,000k on Everest!
Yeah, I’ve never understood all these people talking about pee bottles for the tent… that shit is gross, I just pee before I go to bed.

Reactions: MBN