My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

fwafwow

WKR
FWIW I'm going to try out some socks from happyyak.com. I thought the above socks looked a bit short for me, and there were some reviews about long wait times, hard to reach CS, etc., so I passed on the Mongolian Store.
My order was placed today. A CS rep (a real person) emailed me to confirm my order and it was shipped today.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Great write-up. Do you remember where you picked up those aclima layers? In states or order across the pond?
I went to New Zealand last summer (their winter) and you would not believe the selection of base layers, including mesh or fishnet style options.

I hiked up some really steep mountains while there and tried out the aclima, they are the real deal for high exertion even in very cold weather. Pretty much all the “hardcore” mountain bikers and hikers there use them or other brands readily abialble on stores there in NZ.

I’m heading back in August and planning on stocking up on base layers while I’m there.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Dobermann

WKR
I could post countless photos of the Purcell trench in use but ill just post a couple. It is one item that never leaves my pack.

Randy

Randy - did you go with SS or Ti - and why? Now that you've used what you have, what are your thoughts about one vs the other?

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Aclima woolnet baselayres and if super cold put a Sitka 120 merino over then a vest or the ambient to keep moving sweat to the outside and keep pretty well dry then puffy over top when i stop for long periods.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Randy - did you go with SS or Ti - and why? Now that you've used what you have, what are your thoughts about one vs the other?

It's the Ti and it's the only one I've used. I actually got it as a gift and as I said, it never leaves my pack. I think its like 3 ounces? One could also use it as a splint if need be.

Randy

Dobermann

WKR
It's the Ti and it's the only one I've used. I actually got it as a gift and as I said, it never leaves my pack. I think its like 3 ounces? One could also use it as a splint if need be.

Randy
Awesome. That's the one I ordered this week. Looking forward to trying it out ... as a grill, not a splint! :)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Me and my partner both use Source bladders+hoses, but we’ve had 2 fail over 3 years, both of them leaking around the hose connection to the bladder in the pack. One of the three (coincidentally mine) hasn’t had any issues, but I’ve started to lose confidence in it. I like using a bladder instead of Nalgene, so I was considering trying a Hydrapak force this year, now I’m disappointed to see @Hagas4all mention it tastes bad…
I've used hydrapaks for years, I've never noticed a bad taste. You just can't drink water that's been in them for weeks and expect it to taste like fresh spring water either though

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Maybe I missed it, but what performance difference is there with the socks? Warmth? Moisture transfer? Cushion? Longevity?

My feet sweat a bit. In merino and merino blends they feel wet pretty quickly in a hike, then are cold, and never seem to dry. Camel wool and Yak wool my feet rarely/ever feel wet, they are warmer as a consequence, and they dry pretty easy. So- moisture management and warmth are the two biggest ones for me. Yak wool is also fluffier/softer.

My feet sweat a bit. In merino and merino blends they feel wet pretty quickly in a hike, then are cold, and never seem to dry. Camel wool and Yak wool my feet rarely/ever feel wet, they are warmer as a consequence, and they dry pretty easy. So- moisture management and warmth are the two biggest ones for me. Yak wool is also fluffier/softer.
Using the 100% wool or the blend?

SouthPaw

WKR
Did you replace the peizo on the jetboil, or just tape the cracked ceramic? I've just been using a BIC as my jetboil's igniter hasn't worked for years, it failed after just a few trips.