My ID 2015 Buck

First, I want to say I've been reading some great stories of some great bucks that have been taken here by a number of you guys over the past few years. I bought Mr. Dennings Book earlier this year right before hunting season started. It is the second book I've purchased on hunting mule deer. Applying the info from the book this year has helped with me getting over the "hump" in taking my biggest mule deer to date. Thanks for putting out a good book.

I decided 3 years ago to make a commitment to not shoot the first legal deer I had a shot at. This opened up a lot of experience and I learned a bunch about mule deer hunting. Each year I got closer to taking a mature animal, but never closed the deal on having it all come together. Up until 3 years ago I would shoot a buck to fill my tag and my freezer. Not that I didn't try shooting at big deer, I just had such bad big buck fever from 13-23 years old. I missed the 3 mature deer I had opportunities at during those years. I hear from a bunch of friends of how they shoot for meat and that I can't eat antlers. I agree but also told them that a mature deer will produce even more meat than a 1-2 year old buck and I might become better at understanding mule deer while becoming a better hunter.

Over the 3 years the number of bucks I see hunting have increased, the size of bucks have increased, unusual but the number of hunters have increased in one area, and passing up smaller bucks has provided the opportunities at the more mature bucks I've chosen to pursue. I also changed hunting from just weekends to taking 5-10 days to commit to hunting. This helped with not having the pressure to find, kill, and pack out an animal in 2 days and then go back to work for another week before doing it again. Hunting became A LOT more enjoyable and successful in pursuing what I was hoping for.

I took my buck on the 3rd day of my hunt and it stayed out about 30-45 minutes to long after sunrise. It was all alone and had just crossed the creek heading for the security of the steep timber hillside above the creek. It stopped long enough and was curious to stop and look across at me and my hunting partner. A good 125 yard shot when he stuck his head out in a spot between trees is what put him down. Though he certainly isn't the biggest, he fit what I have been looking for the past 3 years. Good luck to everyone on setting goals for 2016!

Success.jpg Fronts and Width.jpg

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Congratulations on making fantastic memories and taking a beautiful buck!

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice buck! Always difficult to pass up game on OTC hunts and some tags may be eaten,but it gives you that possible opportunity to take something very nice, in addition to learning for future hunt endeavors. Congrats!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely showed the transition from meat hunter only to mature buck hunter. Great job. I really liked your post.

Hunting for meat is great but I find that the guys who hunt for bigger deer often (not always) become better hunters for exactly the reasons you state. I use to apologize a bit for liking big deer, but not anymore.

westernarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a nice buck. When people tell me That you can't eat the horns I tell them their right. The meat only last for a season but the horns last forever. :D

KHNC

WKR
That is a very nice buck! I would shoot it every time.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on a great buck!! The mindset of not shooting a legal buck just to fill the freezer is tough for me. Keep it up!