Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

I was looking for a 28 as well this fall. Just ordered a MR Pintler yesterday....Optics Planet sale $298.00. Really couldn't pass on that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was looking to get a 28 this fall too but couldn't find any in stock. Just ordered a Pintler yesterday from Optics Planet..same price...$298.00 on sale

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I will throw this out having spent some time in my popup 28 now. I had trouble getting it adjusted during my local hunting season, it was comfortable to start with but by the end of the day it was killing me. I am 6'5" and I was always adjusting something to try and make it work. When I went to Montana for hunting I stopped in Bozeman and visited the MR headquarters. They were very gracious and helped fit my pack. They adjusted about every strap on there, that is how screwed up I had it. During the process I ask about the belt height as to why it was not as tall as their other belts and their response was that during the initial testing they tried several different heights of belts and in the end the testers liked the smaller belt height. I ask if a person could buy another belt for a different frame and install it on this frame and they said it would not work. My only other complaint was the pockets sit to far back on the pack when you are carrying water and with the lower strap buckles in the pocket it is hard to put your water bottle back in one handed. Minor complaints compared to the pack as a whole. I like the pack for my style of hunting and I ask the gentlemen who were helping me how the sales were going for this pack their response was they had no clue it was going to be this popular.

elkyinzer

WKR
Q6vElnK.jpg

I am a huge fan of this pack. Used it all year to transport my saddle hunting gear.

DIY saddle platform and 3 modified Helium sticks in the meat shelf.

Accessories and extra layers in the bag. Any overflow of extra layers can also squeeze into the shelf/compression straps.

Packed out 1/2 a doe with it. Not much of a load to speak of yet. Hoping to pack a whole doe out in the next couple weeks here in rifle season.

I wish they had a bag option in the 30-35 liter range. I know a lot whitetail guys self-film. I toy with it but don't do it until I get a buck down. There just isn't quite enough room to squeeze that stuff in there.

Also a small lid as an add on accessory would be great.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the criticism on the water bottle pockets- a little small and a little too far back; what has worked for me was going to 16 oz Nalgenes- I can one hand those (just put a 1 liter Platy bottle in the pack)

I use the storage behind the pack for my tripod, trekking poles and a folded ccf pad

mine’s a 18 btw

44kCvqS.jpg

BluMtn

WKR
I to also use that space between the pack and frame to store my shooting sticks, trekking poles and tri-pod. I have been thinking about how to design a pouch that would attach in between the pack and frame that would hold my shooting sticks and trekking poles like a holster. I also put my seat cushion in there also.

Pezboat

WKR
I to also use that space between the pack and frame to store my shooting sticks, trekking poles and tri-pod. I have been thinking about how to design a pouch that would attach in between the pack and frame that would hold my shooting sticks and trekking poles like a holster. I also put my seat cushion in there also.

I’ve been thinking about the same idea. Some sort of lightweight box or caddie of some sort to fit in between the pack and the frame for my climbing sticks.

sbsyncro

FNG
Well, the wife got me the Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator for Christmas instead of a pack, so now I can get the pop-up 28 for myself... :)

Does anyone know a place that has them in stock? All my usual online sources show either “out of stock” or “ships in 9 to 40 days” or some such thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know a place that has them in stock? All my usual online sources show either “out of stock” or “ships in 9 to 40 days” or some such thing.

Wanting to buy a 28 in large but same deal, out of stock. Called MR direct and they said a few mediums coming in next week or two, but don't expect to receive large sizes for some time. "Definitely before next hunting season"....was the response I got.

sbsyncro

FNG
Wanting to buy a 28 in large but same deal, out of stock. Called MR direct and they said a few mediums coming in next week or two, but don't expect to receive large sizes for some time. "Definitely before next hunting season"....was the response I got.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking for a medium, so it looks like I'll be calling them next week. I wonder if they ship to places like OPtics Planet or Black Ovis or if they fulfill their own direct orders first...?

sbsyncro

FNG
Thanks for the update. I'm looking for a medium, so it looks like I'll be calling them next week. I wonder if they ship to places like Optics Planet or Black Ovis or if they fulfill their own direct orders first...?

I talked to MR and they told me that yes, they have a bunch of units shipping out next week but that they ship allocations to their retailers FIRST. So I called Optics Planet and ordered. Too late for this season, but that gives me plenty of time to set it up the way I want and to get in shape carrying loads with it for next season. I may even take it on a couple overnight backpack trips if it will fit my ultralight setup, if its as comfortable and handy as it looks.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it doesn’t fit your kit- a lightweight dry bag stashed between the bag and frame will do the trick perfectly :)

Cf8889

FNG
Loving all this information!

Pretty certain, this is the pack for me.

Keep the reviews, photos, and experiences coming!

Thanks for the update. I'm looking for a medium, so it looks like I'll be calling them next week. I wonder if they ship to places like OPtics Planet or Black Ovis or if they fulfill their own direct orders first...?

They have coyote mediums in stock now

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
#truth

OP - Thank you for all the pics! Now I have to decide on the 28 or 18. Originally I was looking at the 18...

I traded for an 18. The one quirk to the frame extension that I forget is that when it's extended, it's NOT a handle suitable for lifting the pack. I'm used to Kifaru Duplex, MR NICE that you can lift from the top, I may come up with a way to strap/buckle to lock it in place, that'd be a great improvement.. I went with the 18, I've got a Crew Cab and several other older internal frame Kifaru bags, I don't hate the idea of a bigger bag, but that would've felt like more overlap with the Crew Cab...

Good info here. Im trying to replace an old 3000ci bighorn that finally fell apart on me this year. Im 99% sure the popup 28 would be perfect for the intended use, but the pintler looks good too.

4xlarsen

FNG
I was pretty smitten on this pack when it came out, but was bummed when i found out it wasn't going to be available in subalpine. I wound up going with a guidelight frame with Mule and Marshall bags in subalpine instead. I figured it would be a little more useful to have a frame that could run a day pack and a big pack.

A bit of follow up on my earlier posts. Finished up my season with this pack hauling two deer. Just did a training hike with a 60# load to see how she would do. Love this thing. It ain’t going to replace a full size pack but it sure does a lot of things a full size pack can do at a lighter weight and lower cost. This has officially become day pack for deer and turkey hunting and anything else that could turn into a hauling situation.