Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

Just out of curiosity, what benefit does the Pop-Up 28 have over a Guide Lite or Guide Lite MT frame with a MULE bag (23L) on it?

I'm looking for a day pack size backpack that can handle some load hauling. Seems that a Pop-Up 28, or Guide Lite + MULE would fit this roll well. This would replace my cobbled together ALICE pack + ALICE frame with shelf for load hauling, and a separate day pack that I use. I'm trying to streamline my gear, and make what I have more versatile.

Thanks!

The waist belt on the the guide light MT is significantly more padded and comfortable than the 28. I can’t speak for the non-MT belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very lucky and picked up a 2020 pop up 28 for $175. I never had the old 28 but I believe the new version is quite an improvement. The telescoping frame is really convenient and when extended can handle a lot of downforce before it would give. I think I
put almost all my weight on it and it still wouldn’t slip. The hip belt I believe was beefed up and feels pretty comfortable to me although I have not packed around any weight with it in the woods yet, just around the house. Really nice to have an official handle on the top of the frame as well.

AFenny11

FNG
I think this pack could make a great all around use pack. I'm an eastern mountain whitetail hunter and could see this for hauling stand/sticks and a whitetail quarter, as well as taking out west for most big game. And of course for traditional non-hunting backpacking trips.

Reviving this great thread - Can anyone comment on how the Popup 28 would fit in a saddle? Looking for a flexible daypack that I can use on a horsepacking hunt. Guide recommends a small daypack or fanny pack that wont hit/bother the horse.

sbsyncro

FNG
It’s probably too bulky for that purpose. I would assume what what the guide is taking about is a pack that could “roll up” into a saddle bag. Because every of the metal and plastic frame and the thick hip belt this would not be possible with the pop-up.

A frameless pack without a padded hip belt is probably what you need. Maybe something like MR’s “In and Out” pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLam

FNG
Yes, my very first post on Rokslide. In a nutshell, I am from Hawaii and started hunting 3 years ago, mainly pigs. Made my way to Lanai for the state lottery hunt for Axis Deer. Used an Eberlestock X2 and Mainframe the first two seasons, then moved on to a Mystery Ranch Cabinet and now the Pop Up 28 this year. No retailer in Hawaii carries Kifaru, MR, Sitka, First Lite, etc., so I always read up on rokslide.com for any info that I can find.

I purchased the MR PU28 just for half day or day hunts with load hauling capabilities. The pack also meets the airlines 22"x14"x9" for a carry-on bag. The Guide Light frames are 24" tall, but the airlines never pulled me on the side to measure it before. I ordered the PU28 in Foliage (was hoping for Optifade Subalpine) from BlackOvis.com. OMG they rock and item arrived in 3 days!!!

hdcG9QP.jpg

I wouldn't call this a review since I only received it this morning in the mail. Shall we say more like a dimensional, visual, and functional helper for whoever is leaning on the fence and wants a little bit more info about the new Pop Up 28 backpack. (FYI: I used my phone to take the pictures so the measurements from the images might seem off from what I type but that's due to the phone camera.)

bwWIozm.jpg

Depending on how much you adjust the yoke, for me (5’11”) with the pack stays down, is about 22" Tall and 26" Tall with the stays deployed. I was able to load 29" in height with about another 5" left-over on the load lifter straps.

euEjBg7.jpg

A top view to compare the width of the pack. The load was 10" in width.

v1cOWKc.jpg

The pop up portion is 0.4140" and there's good tension and feels sturdy. The Stays are about 5.75" apart from each other. The bottom stays measure roughly 14.5" and the top (Orange poles) at about 11.25" (25.75" total) Hard to measure because they are inserted into the backpack. When I pulled on the silver and orange stays, I was able to move them quite a bit and I believe they can be removed entirely from the backpack.

vqExoIL.jpg

The shelf measures 10"L x 7.25"W. it's double layered with the Cordura500

xjFxNBV.jpg
ASDvSFE.jpg

Able to fit 3 bottles in the top pocket.

KraDgv5.jpg

2 mesh pockets in the front pocket. Decent size and able to hold a bottle each.
Great review as I'm looking at options as well and this looks intriguing.

Zbo93

FNG
Q6vElnK.jpg

I am a huge fan of this pack. Used it all year to transport my saddle hunting gear.

DIY saddle platform and 3 modified Helium sticks in the meat shelf.

Accessories and extra layers in the bag. Any overflow of extra layers can also squeeze into the shelf/compression straps.

Packed out 1/2 a doe with it. Not much of a load to speak of yet. Hoping to pack a whole doe out in the next couple weeks here in rifle season.

I wish they had a bag option in the 30-35 liter range. I know a lot whitetail guys self-film. I toy with it but don't do it until I get a buck down. There just isn't quite enough room to squeeze that stuff in there.

Also a small lid as an add on accessory would be great.
How did you get your bottom buckles through the water pocket? Mine go over top…

And a popup 40. They look like they have made some upgrades from the 28 & 38. Now I know why the 28 I just purchased for my son was on sale at such a deep discount.

DsAm6od.jpg
nJpSbal.jpg

My one concern is when the stays are in the stowed position, there is a fulcrum point created by a crossmember and another by a buckle. If you have some rigid objects in your pack and you really compress the pack down with the top stays stowed, it could add pressure top and bottom of the orange stays, potentially bending under the right circumstances.

I wore it loaded with a case of beer and although not as comfortable as the Guide Light frame, the compactness and weight reduction of the Pop Up 28 was a fair trade. Overall, I’m am very pleased with the Pop Up 28 and look forward to hauling some meat. Hope this helps.

TheTone

WKR
Was just thinking the other day that I wish they would make a pop up with the soft fleece they offer on their whitetail packs. Would make an awesome brush country elk day pack