Mzl Hunter Pleads Not Guilty

On top of that, IIRC he had a ML bull tag in a unit with point restrictions. So not only did he not verify the species.......but also failed to verify the sex of the "perceived" elk, and he also ignored all point restriction rules. So this guy was careless and negligent in multiple respects.
Exactly! Based on my understanding of the facts, no reasonable law-abiding hunter would’ve taken the shot that killed the bowhunter (and through a bush that was too thick to distinguish man from brow-tine bull).

His legal guilt depends on the relevant statutes but he’s definitely “guilty” of being a moron with a gun.

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
Speculation. You don't know for certainty of the lack of self control.

BS. As it has been pointed out already many times, he couldn't be bothered to take the time to properly identify sex, number of points or if his target was even the correct species. He saw a flash of something and shot. That is the very definition of poor impulse control and most certainly is reflected in his broader life. Intelligent, well adjusted people don't do things like this.

Tmac

WKR
Tragedy. The human mind has the ability to make you see what you want to see, not what is really there. In many of these accidents a fairly experienced hunter will say he “saw” a deer. No idea what happened here, the guy messed up bad and should pay a price, the other person already has.

mlgc20

WKR
Except there are statutes in place for DUI/DWI. What is the outcome for someone target practicing and the ricochet of the bullet striking someone 500 yds away?
A ricochet hitting someone 500 yards away is a completely different scenario. That would be an unforeseeable accident. What happened with this hunter was not unforeseeable. It is reckless, careless, negligent, and dangerous to send bullets into an undefined target. Pretty easy to see how that could result in a bad outcome. That is why it is foremost in hunter safety to make sure you identify your target.

Do you really think that blasting your firearm into moving bushes is the same or even similar to a bullet ricochet hitting someone 500 yards away while target practicing?

A ricochet hitting someone 500 yards away is a completely different scenario. That would be an unforeseeable accident. What happened with this hunter was not unforeseeable. It is reckless, careless, negligent, and dangerous to send bullets into an undefined target. Pretty easy to see how that could result in a bad outcome. That is why it is foremost in hunter safety to make sure you identify your target.

Do you really think that blasting your firearm into moving bushes is the same or even similar to a bullet ricochet hitting someone 500 yards away while target practicing?

How many bullets actually ricochet with a safe backstop?

I'll wait...

BS. As it has been pointed out already many times, he couldn't be bothered to take the time to properly identify sex, number of points or if his target was even the correct species. He saw a flash of something and shot. That is the very definition of poor impulse control and most certainly is reflected in his broader life. Intelligent, well adjusted people don't do things like this.

It's not BS. It's just contrary to what you believe to be true. You are assigning behavior based on a bias.

Who's pointed it out, forum crusaders?...

Show the evidence it is most certainly reflected in his broader life. Prove it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR

I have taught many new hunters the ins and out of hunting. Before after and during their hunters safety course. After guns safety I stress the importance of being 110% positive of your target. If you have any doubt at all about target, do. not. shoot. I mean full body ID, maybe antlers or if doe, back to full body ID. What ever you are hunting ID it 110%. Never shoot at just color or motion or you may hit a Human and that is something you will carry with you the rest of your life. It is just to easy to be take extreme care in game ID.

CoStick

WKR
People are spending life sentences for far less crimes, even minor drug offenses. Be interesting to see what he ends up with. You can get a 110 years for accidentally killing people with a truck here.

Ratbeetle

WKR
NM, not getting sucked into a stupid internet argument.

Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
He’s a boomer probably with no previous criminal record. Unfortunately he’ll probably get 6 months in prison and probation. Accidental hunting crimes don’t get much prison time. That’s my opinion. He live about 5 miles from me(thanks OnX).

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah even at max sentence of 6 with "good" time he will get out in 3... Ridiculous, he should owe the family of his victim restitution the rest of his life.
Oh, he'll get sued in civil court for sure. That's completely separate from his criminal case. Wrongful death lawsuit is going to be $$$$

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Jail is a means to get people isolated that are menaces to society.

In this particular instance, what good will jail time provide to anyone?
Well, he killed someone, so you're cool with him walking out of court a free man? I'd hope the other guy's family would beat him to death with hammers at that point

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's not BS. It's just contrary to what you believe to be true. You are assigning behavior based on a bias.

Who's pointed it out, forum crusaders?...

Show the evidence it is most certainly reflected in his broader life. Prove it.
Are you related to this moron? You sure are being defensive of a class A Dumbass with a capital D. He killed a man, and he'll face his time in court in which his own admission to firing recklessly at movement will result in his guilt being firmly established. Knowing today's legal system he's going to get to plead to a lesser charge, and he's going to get hammered in civil court for wrongful death. He should lose everything.

Marble

WKR
How many bullets actually ricochet with a safe backstop?

I'll wait...
There is no way to know that for sure.

But the average, reasonable person (most people) would have a basic belief in the safety of the activity when shooting into an approved or designated area where it is deemed safe for shooting.

For you to compare the two, it is not a same/same scenario. If you think they are the same then you're just wanting to argue..

I would probably go further and say the act of this hunter was more reckless, had less thought and prudence with no care for safety , than the cop who was just convicted for shooting someone with her gun when she thought it was her gun.

Both have the same outcome of a death, but the intentions of the shooter seem to be where the difference in all the homicide laws have their application.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mikido

WKR
The guy messed up big time….but it’s still an accident. We’ve all been around some form of
Neglect in hunting, unfortunately his was deadly.

Forgetting about the letter of the law for a second…..Dead archers family is changed forever. Shooter’s family is changed forever. Years of prison won’t bring back the dead, and it certainly won’t teach the shooter a lesson he hasn’t already learned.

Sometimes we Think payback heals wounds, but i don’t think it does.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sometimes we Think payback heals wounds, but i don’t think it does.
I don't think punishment was ever meant to "heal wounds". It was/is meant to punish the offender of the crime, and hopefully to deter other's from doing the same. That's why crime has soared through the roof.......some people feel that punishment isn't warranted for criminal acts anymore. So, no punishment and no deterrents......well, that will lead to more crime.......and/or more negligent actions.

How many people would speed if the penalty was 20 years in prison? I wouldn't. That's what punishments are designed to do. And currently.....if I'm driving under the speed limit, I'm asleep at the wheel.

Last edited:
Well, he killed someone, so you're cool with him walking out of court a free man? I'd hope the other guy's family would beat him to death with hammers at that point

Didn't say I was cool with anything. Just asking the self-righteous what good will jail time really do...

Are you related to this moron? You sure are being defensive of a class A Dumbass with a capital D. He killed a man, and he'll face his time in court in which his own admission to firing recklessly at movement will result in his guilt being firmly established. Knowing today's legal system he's going to get to plead to a lesser charge, and he's going to get hammered in civil court for wrongful death. He should lose everything.

Nope, not related. Don't even know him. Not defending his actions in any way. Simply asked what good is throwing him in jail going to do. Never said there isn't enough evidence to show negligence.

There is no way to know that for sure.

But the average, reasonable person (most people) would have a basic belief in the safety of the activity when shooting into an approved or designated area where it is deemed safe for shooting.

For you to compare the two, it is not a same/same scenario. If you think they are the same then you're just wanting to argue..

I would probably go further and say the act of this hunter was more reckless, had less thought and prudence with no care for safety , than the cop who was just convicted for shooting someone with her gun when she thought it was her gun.

Both have the same outcome of a death, but the intentions of the shooter seem to be where the difference in all the homicide laws have their application.

Not having a safe backstop can be just as negligent. Yes, they are similar. Yes, a jury can decide the target shooter wasn't safe. Yes, the target shooter should have known better. Yes, the target shooter would be liable. Yes, the target shooter could be sued for wrongful death.

There are a lot of self-righteous warriors pounding away wanting to hang this guy. Did he act foolishly. Yep, no denying it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm just glad there are certain people on here who have never made a mistake. Don't lie, you haven't owned up to all of them either...

Marble

WKR
Didn't say I was cool with anything. Just asking the self-righteous what good will jail time really do...

Nope, not related. Don't even know him. Not defending his actions in any way. Simply asked what good is throwing him in jail going to do. Never said there isn't enough evidence to show negligence.

Not having a safe backstop can be just as negligent. Yes, they are similar. Yes, a jury can decide the target shooter wasn't safe. Yes, the target shooter should have known better. Yes, the target shooter would be liable. Yes, the target shooter could be sued for wrongful death.

There are a lot of self-righteous warriors pounding away wanting to hang this guy. Did he act foolishly. Yep, no denying it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm just glad there are certain people on here who have never made a mistake. Don't lie, you haven't owned up to all of them either...
Your thought process lacks common sense on all fronts.

LostArra

WKR
In many cases the prosecutor will discuss the punishment options with the victim's family before any plea deal is made.
I know this happens in possible death penalty cases.
No way this is going to a trial.