NE Wyoming Car Thieves!

bline

FNG
There was a group working the Denver airport parking lots that stole around 800 vehicles in the past year. Many were Ford pickups. Finally arrested 13 of them a few months ago.
Last summer my dad's F154 was stolen out of a hotel parking lot near the Denver airport. Security cameras showed the guys getting into it and driving it away in about 30 seconds. It was never recovered. I hope some of those 13 arrested were the same thieves.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
If you have an iPhone or iPad, pay $30 for an AirTag, battery will last 3+ months and cost about $1.50 to replace. There are other options out there to track your own vehicle for pennies on the dollar what you pay for insurance.

Nothing like being able to tell the police where they can go to recover your vehicle.

I started hiding them in all our vehicles, the tractor, the SxS, my dirt bike, and in my gun case when traveling. Criminals are usually good at some things, not so good once they think the job is done.

Reactions: Duh
Well at least 30 people in Denver… every single day… but it might be because it’s a misdemeanor in Co since it’s a “victimless” crime
Not a victimless crime at all. This $hit is why my 2024 auto rates went up $1,200. American Family and most other national carriers are going through rate revisions due to influx of uninsured drivers. In Iowa 1 in 5 doesn't have insurance, and I'm sure its worse elsewhere. The under/uninsured portion of my umbrella policy went up $600 annually for the same reason. Allegedly, for every $1 in revenue since 2020, American Family has paid out $1.05 due to natural disasters, theft, and under/uninsured. Nationwide and others are doing poorly too and have stopped writing new business in CA and other states with soft on crime policies.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
If you have an iPhone or iPad, pay $30 for an AirTag, battery will last 3+ months and cost about $1.50 to replace. There are other options out there to track your own vehicle for pennies on the dollar what you pay for insurance.

Nothing like being able to tell the police where they can go to recover your vehicle.

I started hiding them in all our vehicles, the tractor, the SxS, my dirt bike, and in my gun case when traveling. Criminals are usually good at some things, not so good once they think the job is done.

Don't you have to be within a certain distance of the AirTag for it to show up though?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not a victimless crime at all. This $hit is why my 2024 auto rates went up $1,200. American Family and most other national carriers are going through rate revisions due to influx of uninsured drivers. In Iowa 1 in 5 doesn't have insurance, and I'm sure its worse elsewhere. The under/uninsured portion of my umbrella policy went up $600 annually for the same reason. Allegedly, for every $1 in revenue since 2020, American Family has paid out $1.05 due to natural disasters, theft, and under/uninsured. Nationwide and others are doing poorly too and have stopped writing new business in CA and other states with soft on crime policies.
Completely agree brother. It is our insane gov officials, crap DA’s and judges who want to say that stealing often a persons biggest asset is NBD…. We are all getting the silent tax by price increases. Cities run by a certain ilk are disgusting

MattB

WKR
That may be the FOX news headline, but the issue with insurance in CA is there is a proposition (103) which requires any insurance rate increases to be approved by the Insurance Commissioner. With the outsized claim levels over the past ~10 years mainly due to wildfires, many insurers can’t get rate increases approved to cover the increased claims. 103 also has a “take all-comers” clause which doesn’t allow insurers to be selective about who they insure in the state. As a result of these factors, they are pulling out.

A similar phenomenon is happening in Florida due primarily to the financial impact hurricanes (not crime).

That may be the FOX news headline, but the issue with insurance in CA is there is a proposition (103) which requires any insurance rate increases to be approved by the Insurance Commissioner. With the outsized claim levels over the past ~10 years mainly due to wildfires, many insurers can’t get rate increases approved to cover the increased claims. 103 also has a “take all-comers” clause which doesn’t allow insurers to be selective about who they insure in the state. As a result of these factors, they are pulling out.

A similar phenomenon is happening in Florida due primarily to the financial impact hurricanes (not crime).
Not Fox News, what my agent told me, but same difference, lol. That prop sounds like a dumpster fire.

MattB

WKR
Not Fox News, what my agent told me, but same difference, lol. That prop sounds like a dumpster fire.
It is really bad. Lots of rural folks are unable to find insurance companies who will provide fire insurance so they are having to fall back to the state FAIR program. A good friend has been cancelled 4 times and had to go on FAIR, and his annual premiums increased from $3K to $8K. On the face of it, the notion of the state having a say in rate increases seems reasonable, but like most propositions it was poorly written and is very one-sided favoring consumers.

The CA legislature is trying to come up with a structure to entice some of the companies that have stopped writing policies in CA to come back, but no legislator is willing to sponsor it for fear of political repercussions.

Insurance rates are way up in Oregon as well due to having a very high amount of uninsured motorists driving around since certain city police were ordered not to enforce traffic infractions.

We also have a very high auto theft rate.

My rates have gone up SIGNIFICANTLY the last four years.

The increase is directly due to car theft and all the uninsured motorists driving around crashing into people according to my agent.

We are all having to pay for the bad deeds of all the dirt bags that don’t get in trouble.

Yea that’s a good idea. But if the thieve has an iPhone it will alert him that it’s in there. And pretty easy to locate.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Yea that’s a good idea. But if the thieve has an iPhone it will alert him that it’s in there. And pretty easy to locate.
It will, which in itself is a deterrent that is effective per some of the State Patrol guys I hunt with here locally. Also, if they don’t have an iPhone, you’re basically crowd-sourcing your vehicles location and they are none the wiser.

The trick is to hide them well so a cursory search isn’t enough. Worst case they trash the interior and dump the car sooner than expected and you get your car back faster. Best case they get alerted while driving your car to their local chop shop or drop off and realize they are putting their organization (re: life) at risk and bail at the first opportunity.

I’m not saying it’s foolproof, I’m saying it’s $35 and effective for this use-case.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Don't you have to be within a certain distance of the AirTag for it to show up though?
No, it just has to be within Bluetooth range of any iDevice (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc) and it will be reported through Apple's FindMy architecture. That means anyone driving by, walking on the street, or at a stoplight will detect and report the location their device was at when it saw your AirTag. There’s 100’s of millions of iPhones out there.

MattB

WKR
No, it just has to be within Bluetooth range of any iDevice (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc) and it will be reported through Apple's FindMy architecture. That means anyone driving by, walking on the street, or at a stoplight will detect and report the location their device was at when it saw your AirTag. There’s 100’s of millions of iPhones out there.
I use them in checked luggage and I can usually track my luggage around the airport from the time I check it in to when it is loaded on the plane. Last month I had a bag get left in Dallas and I could watch them move it around the airport to get it onto a later flight.