Neat little score

LoggerDan

WKR
Howdy folks. Just wanted to share a neat find. An older man had approached me wanting a couple of hemlocks taken down. The job was pretty easy and took about 15 minutes. I wasn’t going to charge the guy anything except a 6pack of beer. The old boy tried to pay me but I sure wasn’t having it.

Well he insisted I take something and come back out of the house with this. 243. Remington m600IMG_0257.jpegIMG_0255.jpegIMG_0256.jpeg

No sir, I do not. The feller didn’t tell me. Only thing he told me was that he’s killed a pile of deer with it. The ventilated rib, I can’t think of anything that it would help with, but it’s pretty cool looking

No sir, I do not. The feller didn’t tell me. Only thing he told me was that he’s killed a pile of deer with it. The ventilated rib, I can’t think of anything that it would help with, but it’s pretty cool looking
Yeah, shotgun barrel vibes, I bet he has. Great score for a good deed, you gonna keep the kill streak alive?

It’s a carbine. Designed for woods hunting and quick shots. That vent rib was to train your eye down the center of the barrel to the front sight bead. Nice rifle for SE Sitkas imo!

Absolutely. It’s pretty doggone light and it feels lively in my hands. It’s a classy little thing and I wouldn’t take a dozen tikkas for it. Yes, I’m going to fill a few tags with it and bring that old man some meat. He doesn’t get out much anymore. Only thing he asked was to not sell it.

love the dog-leg bolts on the 600 and 660's.....

IMG_6896.JPG

Here's my son with his rifle which was my first big game rifle that my father gave to me when I was 12 years old. It has killed an awful lot of coyotes, antelope, and deer. All were shot with 100 gr. Nosler Partitions. It is a Remington 600 Centennial commemorating the 75th year of Montana Statehood and 100th year of the Montana Territory in 1964.

This is Jeff with his first big game animal. One shot with the same rifle same bullet and load. 4x Weaver scope that's been on it since it was first used in 1972.

IMG_1412_zps8a376a67.jpg

IMG_1405_zps2562a86c.jpg

Last edited:
@huntsman22

I don’t know a man who would sell a gift from a poor old man. No, even if I never use it, I sure wouldn’t do it, especially if he asked me not to sell it

I had one of those in the same caliber as my first centerfire rifle. Shot pretty well, but I called it the “fire breathing dragon” because it would throw a 2-foot hoop of fire every time I touched it off. Gave me a hell of a flinch. Still a great gun, though. I sold mine in college when I was poor. Wish I hadn’t.

@huntsman22

I don’t know a man who would sell a gift from a poor old man. No, even if I never use it, I sure wouldn’t do it, especially if he asked me not to sell it

And I didn’t know a man that would accept a gift from a poor man until I met you !

Yes it’s a great grab - but you said it took 15 mins - most people would have done it for free and only just requested a smile and thank you in return.

His grandkids or kids (possibly or maybe he has no family) will be looking for that little rifle that brought many memories and they’ll never be able to find it because you now have.

I’m not one to provide harsh criticism in an open forum - but just know that it’s my opinion that is stated here. Maybe you didn’t realize that this is a way to interpret the “gift” you received - but realize - old timers sometimes don’t realize what they are giving away in gratitude.

Someday you and I will be the old timers - and I hope that the future generations - not even born yet - will not take advantage of us - and will only request a thank you, grin, & handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@snowymountainwolf

Haha! Did you see the trees? Are you a proficient timber faller? Can you put a hundred plus foot tree between two buildings ten foot apart?
He was an old logger, something you would never know anything about, had no kids or grandkids. A tree service would have quoted him to the tune of 2000-2500. He now has firewood for next year. It was his damn rifle to do with how he damn well pleased. Yeah, it only took me 15 minutes. That’s experience, Partner. Most people wouldn’t be able to do it.

Back