Need advice , my pup is getting aggressive ..

Exercise - Not as much as he needs , but I try .
Beating - yeah I get the difference , mostly I use my voice , but I try to be consistent . Obviously I could do better . I make excuses for the dog .
Shooting - Ya , lots of potential serial killers out there , LOL
End game - The breeder I got him from puts a clause in all her contracts that as a last resort the dog comes back to her , and I stay in touch with her . So theres that option .

I feel better about the outcome now . When I started this thread I was very disheartened . I thought I was doing a good job with him and obviously I'm not , but I'll do better .
Couple more things, I crate your dog while you guys are eating. Don’t let him in the kitchen at all while you’re preparing food. A good way to show dominance is to pin the dog down and lay on him. I’m not one for physical beating, but I have absolutely no qualms with showing a dog physical dominance and this is a good way to do it. Just lay on him until he finally quit struggling. It might take a bit and if you do this be committed because you have to see it through to the end.

TaperPin

WKR
We have a biter, he has always been a biter since a puppy - it’s just the way his brain works. The best thing we could have done is put him down at 10 months, but just saying that out loud at home would put me in the dog house for a month.

I totally agree with everyone suggesting making him a second class citizen - all humans need to be above him on the totem pole. I’m not allowed to beat him, but he doesn’t get away with anything - I will chase him around the house until he gives up. Living a more structured life and having to listen to commands is a good idea. A lot of exercise helps.

I went right out at 6 months and bought the best three way e-collar I could find and that’s been the only reason the dog isn’t dead after 5 years of him nipping at someone once a week. While it’s true they know when the collar is on they have to be on their best behavior, he’s been better with age, but he still gets a muzzle when the grandson comes over, and may have to the rest of his life. He isn’t allowed on the couch if he has even a quivering lip. If he acts aggressively when eating he gets to wait to eat until the next feeding.

What has helped him around kids is me desensitizing him to having his face played with, ears pulled, and nose squeezed. On day one he growled at me gently pinching his nose, now a year later he actually enjoys having his face played with. If I’m watching him and he’s unsure about someone it’s automatic to distract him, usually with a tiny treat, and if he snarls he gets the collar, or gets squirted in the face with an extra large squirt gun. For some reason he thinks a ultraviolet light flashlight like is used to find scorpions is the scariest thing in the world. Finding what an individual dog responds to is key.

Our dog is still an idiot, but we know he’s always going to be like this and require extra work to keep him from getting his painted paw prints up on the fridge.

We have a biter, he has always been a biter since a puppy - it’s just the way his brain works. The best thing we could have done is put him down at 10 months, but just saying that out loud at home would put me in the dog house for a month.

I totally agree with everyone suggesting making him a second class citizen - all humans need to be above him on the totem pole. I’m not allowed to beat him, but he doesn’t get away with anything - I will chase him around the house until he gives up. Living a more structured life and having to listen to commands is a good idea. A lot of exercise helps.

I went right out at 6 months and bought the best three way e-collar I could find and that’s been the only reason the dog isn’t dead after 5 years of him nipping at someone once a week. While it’s true they know when the collar is on they have to be on their best behavior, he’s been better with age, but he still gets a muzzle when the grandson comes over, and may have to the rest of his life. He isn’t allowed on the couch if he has even a quivering lip. If he acts aggressively when eating he gets to wait to eat until the next feeding.

What has helped him around kids is me desensitizing him to having his face played with, ears pulled, and nose squeezed. On day one he growled at me gently pinching his nose, now a year later he actually enjoys having his face played with. If I’m watching him and he’s unsure about someone it’s automatic to distract him, usually with a tiny treat, and if he snarls he gets the collar, or gets squirted in the face with an extra large squirt gun. For some reason he thinks a ultraviolet light flashlight like is used to find scorpions is the scariest thing in the world. Finding what an individual dog responds to is key.

Our dog is still an idiot, but we know he’s always going to be like this and require extra work to keep him from getting his painted paw prints up on the fridge.
What breed?

KurtR

WKR
I seen the right genetic dogs run away. I seen mutts tear people a new ahole.
That is a minority. I have seen retrievers not retrieve and pointers not point. Nothing is a guarantee but starting with the right genetics for the job you want done hedging your bet.

TaperPin

WKR
What breed?
He’s a mutt - mostly beagle I think. He might be off in the head, when a normal dog needs 2 or 3 corrections for simple things, he needs 20. He was returned to the shelter twice before 6 months and would have been put down by now if we didn’t take him in. My wife works from home and enjoys difficult dogs for some reason. 🙂

tony

WKR
Our Doberman is straight from Europe.
We started protection and bite work with him and he switched on real quick. Trouble was the drive for training we where using was 3 hours one way.
We still use out alert and bite words in German when we have him out with a rope or pull toy.
I also believe instinct would kick in. Beth had him with her in Vermont when she was working. She was hiking one day and some creeper was following her on the trail. Knox alerted and stood straight and stared the guy down. She said he took off real quick back down the trail.
He is very gentle loves people. His best friends are the neighbors 2 and 4 year old's. They play ball daily.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
My big black dog has a fearsome bark but that’s it. He’s a fear pisser, zero help in a commotion.
Sounds like my 110 pound Rotweiller! LOL!

"... A good way to show dominance is to pin the dog down and lay on him. ..."

Used this method on the Rotty while he was still a 30 to 40 pound puppy. Even took him down a time or two after he was full grown!
Glad it took! I'm not physically capable of taking him down now! LOL!20220727_161059.jpg20220727_161059.jpg
Great big old teddy 🐻 bear!
Dude turned 11 last July. Last visit to the vet (he's bigger than her!) she said he was healthy as a horse 🐴! Good heart beat and clear chest sounds and good gut sounds.
He's a little weak in his rear legs, but does quite well otherwise!

(Sorry about the double picture post! I gotta learn to be patient! 😖)

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
My heeler was pretty aggressive with everyone in the house but me. A shock collar did wonders. It goes from 1-10 I used it mostly on 1-2 but when I needed to really make a statement it was ten and he got it for a few seconds. He's almost 8 and I haven't had it on him in years. Best dog I've ever had, used to bring him into my wife's first grade class.

And yes he likes to dress up

Attachments

• 72098768642__3942C1EB-713B-4348-8568-EFC5568B160D.jpeg
    72098768642__3942C1EB-713B-4348-8568-EFC5568B160D.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 13

Lowg08

WKR
That is a minority. I have seen retrievers not retrieve and pointers not point. Nothing is a guarantee but starting with the right genetics for the job you want done hedging your bet.
Tell me about it. I got a feist/rat terrier mix has no desire to attack anything but a dog turd. That’s the most turd eating dog on this planet. If the ups man knocks that sucker runs and hides under my sons bed.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
Your wrong. The dog having its nuts has nothing to do with the behavior.

How many dogs have you trained to back up your claim
Not as many as you I’m sure but 2.

A male dog with no structure to follow and has no alpha that has his nuts will always try to show dominance and that can be in aggression and in other ways.

go_deep

WKR
My neighbor got a new pup a few years ago. Fast forward to the dog being about 20 months old he growls and nips at his wife. I don't know where he heard it from or why he decided to do it, but he pined the dog to the ground and bit his ear, hard!
Dog listen to every word and hand command since and doesn't even hardly bark anymore.

Lowg08

WKR
You’re still wrong. In that scenario you laid out it’s any dog . Gender would not mater.
I’m so going to regret this. Nuts ain’t got a thing to do with it. Keep them or don’t. I have trained and handled hundreds and hundreds of hounds. @KurtR is correct. Actually had much better luck keeping them. I had a weems Plott that was on the extreme side of alpha. Awesome dog. We had an understanding he didn’t do stupid stuff or misbehave and I wouldn’t hold him down and bite his ear. I believe I would have ruined him if I would have had him fixed.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
I’m so going to regret this. Nuts ain’t got a thing to do with it. Keep them or don’t. I have trained and handled hundreds and hundreds of hounds. @KurtR is correct. Actually had much better luck keeping them. I had a weems Plott that was on the extreme side of alpha. Awesome dog. We had an understanding he didn’t do stupid stuff or misbehave and I wouldn’t hold him down and bite his ear. I believe I would have ruined him if I would have had him fixed.
When we are talking about individuals that understand the dynamics of who the **** is the boss in your pack there isn’t a problem.

The OP says he lets that dog run a muck in his house and is now getting aggressive.

95 percent of dog owners are the problem, the 5 percent that understand dogs and what is needed In Regards to training and what that takes to have an animal that respects the family are fine with intact dogs. The other 5 need to get there dogs fixed asap.

Oh real quick and I’m sure @KurtR thinks he is the 5%.

In my experience, cutting nuts off early enough removes some of the undesirable traits like marking territory and roaming to find bitches. Biologically speaking, it could reduce aggression, but less likely the longer you wait to cut them off and you don’t remove the battle for pack hierarchy, or entitlement.

And as mentioned, cutting them off too early can have health and developmental consequences.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, cutting nuts off early enough removes some of the undesirable traits like marking territory and roaming to find bitches. Biologically speaking, it could reduce aggression, but less likely the longer you wait to cut them off and you don’t remove the battle for pack hierarchy, or entitlement.
Well said and 100 percent agree, for the OP he is in a predicament, he should have that dog fixed and take a lot of what all the comments that have been posted and work with that dog.

Wellsdw

WKR
Mike ritlands most recent “mike drop” podcast is basically a q&a with him on addressing most dog problems. Very good info. That said on of the earlier post on here pretty much covered everything. Good luck

I would stop with the treats and stop the 24/7 feeding. Feed the dog 2 times a day once in the morning once in the evening. When my GSP was a pup I made sure I classic conditioned her to me sticking my hands and face in her bowl while she was eating. I also made myself the alpha by laying her on her back all the time randomly.

Sounds like the dog thinks he is your master. Might be time to get some professional advice like the other gents have recommended.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
KurtR said:
Your wrong. The dog having its nuts has nothing to do with the behavior.
A 120 pound Rotty with "satisfaction" on his mind got really tiresome.
Really didn't want to neuter him, but we really didn't have much choice!
Even then, it was about 6 months before surprise attacks were ended! LOL!

* - skunks, armadillos, rat's, etc, etc.... thankfully not people!