Need (ok want) Longer range Glassing capabilities

My partner and I have a few pairs of Vortex's. One is a UHD, the other is one step down from that I cant remember the model, and then we have some diamondbacks. Range finders are also vortex, in the upper price ranges of what they sold but again, i dont know the models.

my favorites are not actually the UHD(10-42) I actually prefer the HD12x50 ( just looked it up, I guess they are razors) I guess to me, it seems like the 50 outperforms the 42 significantly, especially in lowlight, regardless of the glass improvements in the UHD. And the 12x50 is lighter by a few ounces. of course this is the ozark mountains 300 yards ish and i dont mind a little extra sweeping nexk work with the 12s vs the 10s. most of the time we are talking about a point target anyway not a big herd. again.. whitetail hunting.... i cant tell if its the zoom range or the extra 8mm of light area, but I just prefer the 12x50. i dont think i would even bother spending the premium on vortex UHD 12x50s, which would be another 1000 bucks and a heavier load, for a marginally better performance window, mostly on the fringes of the lens that I dont use anyway.

Anyways, the lady and I are taking a multi-month sabbatical to Wyoming and Alaska to stay with friends in both places. Culminating with an OTC moose hunt at the end of season in alaska. I'm wanting better glass. I don't really know how to define "better" for alaska since i don't have the experience hunting there, or outwest in general.

I'm thinking I should really focus on getting a good spotting scope. seems like the glass i have is "good enough" Im thinking out in the field i might not even bother taking Binos, just the scope. I dont mind spending 5-7k on glass I wont ever have buy again (though If i could get it used at a massive discount im ok with that)

what's do you guys think? Im not opposed to selling all the binos i have and buying one really really nice spoting scope.

Outwest

WKR
You definitely do not want to NOT have binoculars.

Plenty of info on quality spotting scopes on here and with that budget, you can have your pick.

My partner and I have a few pairs of Vortex's. One is a UHD, the other is one step down from that I cant remember the model, and then we have some diamondbacks. Range finders are also vortex, in the upper price ranges of what they sold but again, i dont know the models.

my favorites are not actually the UHD(10-42) I actually prefer the HD12x50 ( just looked it up, I guess they are razors) I guess to me, it seems like the 50 outperforms the 42 significantly, especially in lowlight, regardless of the glass improvements in the UHD. And the 12x50 is lighter by a few ounces. of course this is the ozark mountains 300 yards ish and i dont mind a little extra sweeping nexk work with the 12s vs the 10s. most of the time we are talking about a point target anyway not a big herd. again.. whitetail hunting.... i cant tell if its the zoom range or the extra 8mm of light area, but I just prefer the 12x50. i dont think i would even bother spending the premium on vortex UHD 12x50s, which would be another 1000 bucks and a heavier load, for a marginally better performance window, mostly on the fringes of the lens that I dont use anyway.

Anyways, the lady and I are taking a multi-month sabbatical to Wyoming and Alaska to stay with friends in both places. Culminating with an OTC moose hunt at the end of season in alaska. I'm wanting better glass. I don't really know how to define "better" for alaska since i don't have the experience hunting there, or outwest in general.

I'm thinking I should really focus on getting a good spotting scope. seems like the glass i have is "good enough" Im thinking out in the field i might not even bother taking Binos, just the scope. I dont mind spending 5-7k on glass I wont ever have buy again (though If i could get it used at a massive discount im ok with that)

what's do you guys think? Im not opposed to selling all the binos i have and buying one really really nice spoting scope.
The only need for a spotting scope is when you are trying to count points, frame size, etc. for trophy potential. I'd rather have a pair of 15x SLC and a high-end pan head and tripod setup. You're going to search and glass with binos and also will be able to judge most trophy potential or to a great distance with the binos. If sirens the money on high-end binos and mid range spotter. I know this isn't what you're thinking, but spending hours on binos is way more comfortable than on a spotter in my experience. Could that with a larger field of view you'll end up seeing more game in my experience.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
M
The only need for a spotting scope is when you are trying to count points, frame size, etc. for trophy potential. I'd rather have a pair of 15x SLC and a high-end pan head and tripod setup. You're going to search and glass with binos and also will be able to judge most trophy potential or to a great distance with the binos. If sirens the money on high-end binos and mid range spotter. I know this isn't what you're thinking, but spending hours on binos is way more comfortable than on a spotter in my experience. Could that with a larger field of view you'll end up seeing more game in my experience.

I honestly planned on attaching my phone to whatever spotter and not spending much time looking through it. Ive seen some of those setups and they seem pretty legit. im not hunting for a trophy. id be happy with a big cow.

I honestly planned on attaching my phone to whatever spotter and not spending much time looking through it. Ive seen some of those setups and they seem pretty legit. im not hunting for a trophy. id be happy with a big cow.
If you're wanting to actually spot game to kill, you're going to want high-end binos on a tripod. If you're wanting to take photos of scenery and wildlife, then high-end spotter with phone attachment is the way to go. There's reasons why guides use binos for glassing and not spotters. Best of luck to you on your hunt.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Razor 12x on a tripod will be sufficient.

If you have money and want to buy something else, I would suggest the Razor UHD 18x or another nice 18x. It is always nicer glassing through binos than a spotter. And, the others are right, unless you want to zoom in and watch eagles flying and critters dancing around, you don't need more than 18.

If you buy a spotter, buy the best glass quality you can over magnification. If you have $1100 buy the Kowa 553 in the classifieds. It may be 55mm but the view is far better than 65 and 85mm scopes with cheaper glass.

I love having a spotter, and have had several, but when it comes to keeping it or buying a different piece of gear, I always seem to sell it because I just don't use it in crunch time when I am backpacking. I guess I am saying that you can get by without a spotter, unless you want that ability to see details--because you are in Wyoming and Alaska.

Also, if you buy used in the classifieds, you can sell them and break even 90% of the time.

OP
M
Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 15x56. The end.
those are pretty hefty...

how many of these hunts really rely on hours of glassing anyway? is that just what it takes in alaska to find them? I ask because I wonder if ergonomics is a major issue. or is it more "climb the hill and spend 15 minutes glassing the area then move on to the next"

OP
M
If you like 12X, want better glass, and don't mind spending the money, you are the perfect candidate for Swarovski NL Pure 12x42. My guide buddy uses these in West Texas for spotting aoudad at distance. I had my 15X Swaros and couldn't compete. for mid- to long-range glassing, they can't be beat.

i dont know that im neccesarily sold on getting a 12x. i just prefer them over my 10x UHDs. Im betting the 50mm optic is really the reason there. 4.2 vs 6 sq in of light collection makes a big different at dusk (when 80% of my luck seems to happen)

for alaska, in the ranges im thinking a 15 or 18 seems to be the ticket, but i only base that on the recommendations i find on the web.

Marshfly

WKR

If you do this you might as well not hunt.
Spotter is way, way down on the list of what to pack for a western hunt the vast majority of days. I spend 100x the time glassing behind my binos as I do my spotters.
If you want a spotter buy one, but do not sell your only binoculars to fund it.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Range finding, 8 power binos for handheld glassing and glassing on the move. I use 8x50's for this.

Don't glass long range, big country without a tripod or you will not be effective. 15's on a tripod for this application for finding game.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
those are pretty hefty...

how many of these hunts really rely on hours of glassing anyway? is that just what it takes in alaska to find them? I ask because I wonder if ergonomics is a major issue. or is it more "climb the hill and spend 15 minutes glassing the area then move on to the next"
My experience from AZ that I applied to AK to hunt deer and caribou was to find a good high spot and glass and glass and glass, and maybe spend 15 minutes moving to get a different angle and then glassing. I wouldn't want to glass 15 minutes and then hike in AZ or AK because you would end up missing animals and being WAY too far to pack out meat.

From what I hear about moose hunts, you could be glassing all day, and then catch the sun off a paddle of a moose that had been there the whole time.

The advice to get the NL Pures is because clarity is better than getting 3-5x higher magnification. Glassing for animals is often looking for a piece of an animal or distinguishing if it is a clump of grass or a butt. Clarity at 12x will get you better results than magnification at 15-18 with less clarity.

WRO

WKR
If you like 12X, want better glass, and don't mind spending the money, you are the perfect candidate for Swarovski NL Pure 12x42. My guide buddy uses these in West Texas for spotting aoudad at distance. I had my 15X Swaros and couldn't compete. for mid- to long-range glassing, they can't be beat.

Can concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
My experience from AZ that I applied to AK to hunt deer and caribou was to find a good high spot and glass and glass and glass, and maybe spend 15 minutes moving to get a different angle and then glassing. I wouldn't want to glass 15 minutes and then hike in AZ or AK because you would end up missing animals and being WAY too far to pack out meat.

From what I hear about moose hunts, you could be glassing all day, and then catch the sun off a paddle of a moose that had been there the whole time.

The advice to get the NL Pures is because clarity is better than getting 3-5x higher magnification. Glassing for animals is often looking for a piece of an animal or distinguishing if it is a clump of grass or a butt. Clarity at 12x will get you better results than magnification at 15-18 with less clarity.
good advice. thanks. If im not carrying the weight of a spotting scope (which until this thread I really thought was a "much bring" then I'm ok going with a set of higher quality / bigger binos.

are the nl Pures at 12x42 as good as "something else" maybe 12x50 in the same price range and under 40 oz? another way of saying is there a better choice if I compromise on size, regardless of price?

OP
M
Also, congrats on the multi month sabbatical! That sounds like a dream trip! Enjoy it.
i cannot wait... 38 years old and ive worked since i was 7 or 8. Hell im still working when I go up there. we're taking an excavator with us lol.

OP
M
If you do this you might as well not hunt.
Spotter is way, way down on the list of what to pack for a western hunt the vast majority of days. I spend 100x the time glassing behind my binos as I do my spotters.
If you want a spotter buy one, but do not sell your only binoculars to fund it.
noted for sure. after this thread a spotter is basically off my list. I have a 70-300 and a 400mm lens for my nikon 850 thats honestly good enough. If i want to do that kind of spotting, ill just take my camera, that will be in the camper anyway.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
i cannot wait... 38 years old and ive worked since i was 7 or 8. Hell im still working when I go up there. we're taking an excavator with us lol.
Dang man! Where are you hauling from? Is it a mini ex? I've hauled a lot of equipment across the western US over the years but never all the way up to AK!!

OP
M
Dang man! Where are you hauling from? Is it a mini ex? I've hauled a lot of equipment across the western US over the years but never all the way up to AK!!
were going to pick up in wyoming and ferry from washington. Im not gonna haul it all the way. from arkansas

and yes cat 306 or equivalent. I havent bought yet. but there is a dealer up there i am working with.

Last edited: