Nevada 072-075 late season cow elk hunt

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
My wife drew this tag, on her first ever time applying. This is the first ever elk hunt for either of us. pouring over maps, onxmaps, the unit descriptions on Nevada's DOW site. Can't seem to find anything regarding this later season hunt everything I read seems to point to Sept.-Oct. I have tried to contact the Biologist but they haven't returned any of my calls. So I'm turning to rokslide for help, I'm looking for possible areas to camp (wall tent). Are these elk migratory? If yes would we be better off waiting till latter in the hunt (January)? Also anything I may not be thinking of that I should consider(water, weather, road closures, ect.???) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Rangerz

FNG
Whole lot of dirt roads that can get pretty muddy in wet weather. Charleston and Oneill roads should be fairly good. There are some streams around but that is where a lot of guys camp.

Elk do move around that time of year depending on weather. Some head to south part and some head to Idaho. If you were to camp on the South end of 72 on Oneill road you could cover a lot of ground in units 72 74 and 75 depending on your vehicle.

Good luck.

I cant speak to the Elk movement. What I will tell you is that the Weather can be extreme and you had better be prepared for anything with the tools and gear you have along. If you camp on the south end of 072 you will be about 80 miles on dirt roads without cell service. Make sure you have extra fuel, spare tires, tools you may need to fix something if need be ..... ect. it can snow a ton and get down to the negative temps easily. Keep an eye on the weather before hand, you will be a LONG way from the closest town.

I cant speak to the Elk movement. What I will tell you is that the Weather can be extreme and you had better be prepared for anything with the tools and gear you have along. If you camp on the south end of 072 you will be about 80 miles on dirt roads without cell service. Make sure you have extra fuel, spare tires, tools you may need to fix something if need be ..... ect. it can snow a ton and get down to the negative temps easily. Keep an eye on the weather before hand, you will be a LONG way from the closest town.

Good advice right here. The elk that live closer to the low lands in Idaho migrate north (sometimes stopping at elk mountain on the way) and the elk that live closer to the low lands to the south head there. Bulls have been known to stay in and around the Jarbidge if there is access to food during a mild winter. Plenty of elk should be around, but their location and elevation will be determined by the weather and hunting pressure.

Owenst7

WKR
I have found elk sheds inside of the wilderness boundary, which tells me they don't necessarily migrate out of the mountains during winter. I have not been out there during winter though.

AT&T has 4g coverage on most of the Southeast facing hillsides, even up at Divide Peak.

The nooks and crannies above about 8k ft will get localized squalls whenever the temp or humidity swings, so I'd just plan to get hammered with weather a couple times a week. I'd probably bring my snowshoes for that time of year, although I wouldn't pack them in on my bag as a "just in case". There's a lot of recent avalanche sign in there so I'd avoid any obvious slide areas. Most of the trails avoid those chutes though, as a lot of the trail system has been demolished and moved due to slides.

It may be different in the later season, but my experience out there tells me that hunting the road system is a waste of time. I pack in 7-8 miles and see a lot of animals.

Last edited: