Nevada Mule Deer Guide Recommendations

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I was wanting to put in for the Nevada guide draw. I have 11 deer points as an NR and wanting to hunt in November if possible. Anyone have any recommendations from experience on what outfitter/guide to use? I have been looking into Greg Krogh. This would probably be a once and a lifetime thing for me as I usually do DIY. Let me know what you guys recommend.

Highly recommend Greg. However with 11 deer points you are not exactly in the running for much especially late season for the historically popular Nevada units. Might want to check the draw odds. May be able to get a lesser known/popular unit and a different guide. It really depends on your expectations for trophy quality, and even then, will need some luck on your side.

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I just checked my points. I actually have 12 but ya still kind of in no man’s land for draw odds. Probably put in for the regular draw and wish and hope. I’m just tied to November because of vacation already being allocated or I would change dates to increase my draw odds.

Tmac

WKR
Could call your preferred outfitter (s) and ask about landowner tags if there is room in the budget. Try the draw, you may get lucky, if not then purchase a landowner tag if you can.

WRO

WKR
I just checked my points. I actually have 12 but ya still kind of in no man’s land for draw odds. Probably put in for the regular draw and wish and hope. I’m just tied to November because of vacation already being allocated or I would change dates to increase my draw odds.

There are other units that have good deer you are in the running for.

The outfitter is only a small part of the equation. The real factor is who your guide will be, you can be booked with the best outfitter but if you get a bad guide your hunt is probably going to be a disappointment.

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Ya thanks for the input. I thought my chances drastically increased in the this draw but looking at the stats I don’t think that’s necessarily true for the areas I’m looking at.

i was thinking about starting points in NV. Im 34... any reason to start now or has point creep messed made it so i should look at other more reasonable states?

Oilcan

FNG
I’ve hunted with Greg twice and highly recommended him, once Nevada and once in Arizona. No matter how many points you have you have a chance in Nevada so I would put in. I drew 231 ML Deer with 8 points and 121 ML Elk with 12 as Non Res.

i was thinking about starting points in NV. Im 34... any reason to start now or has point creep messed made it so i should look at other more reasonable states?
It’s expensive and you never known if/when you will actually draw. But if you do generally it’s a quality tag/hunt. If you archery hunt odds are better of actually getting a tag, rifle odds are dismal

OP
Smokey12

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I will still apply either way. I didn’t know Greg outfitted for AZ as well. I will have to look into that.