Nevada unit 72 cow elk hunt - assistance pleas

id450

WKR
Hi all.

I drew a antlerless any weapon tag for October 1-10.I'm usually a mule deer bow hunter but I'm going to take my rifle and get hopefully get it done? I've only hunted elk last year in Idaho . I glassed several bulls but could not connect. I have become a student of learning elk behavior and feel pretty good about that, but obviously have a long long way to go.
Really, I'm just curious if you have Any info on what not to bother with or areas to avoid in unit 72. My current plan to is pack into the wilderness. I'm up for anything , I'm just looking to streamline the options. It's a big unit with limited access that requires a time commitment to get there, especially if headed to the wilderness . Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know anything specific, but I would try to fill the tag before the 5th. That's when deer opens and there will be a million people.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Cool, I plan to arrive a few days early to scout and be in on the opener.,I did not know about the 5th. Thanks

530Chukar

WKR
From my experience the elk will be as far from the roads as possible in the wilderness. There will also be guides 10-15 miles in. You can still find elk hiking distance I to the wilderness but you will have to also take into account the time and effort of getting an animal out based on the distance you hike in. Elevation is low to over 10k. That time of year will be on the drier side bust not uncommon to have some snow that early either, but nothing major. PM me if you've got anymore specific questions.

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
I was up scouting 072 over the 4th of July and in the wilderness I only saw 3 cows compared to 13 bulls so I would assume that they were still in the calfing areas. I will go back in a few weeks and look at the northern edge of the wilderness and the southern edge. Shoot me a pm to remind me and I can update you as to what I saw on the next scout.

OP
I

id450

WKR
From my experience the elk will be as far from the roads as possible in the wilderness. There will also be guides 10-15 miles in. You can still find elk hiking distance I to the wilderness but you will have to also take into account the time and effort of getting an animal out based on the distance you hike in. Elevation is low to over 10k. That time of year will be on the drier side bust not uncommon to have some snow that early either, but nothing major. PM me if you've got anymore specific questions.

Thank you. That's helps a ton. Well there be water running ( creek, springs) to fill my water needs or do I need to plan on hiking in early and bumping it up? I'll work on what I can find out for my game plan and for sure contact you with some questions . Thanks

OP
I

id450

WKR
I was up scouting 072 over the 4th of July and in the wilderness I only saw 3 cows compared to 13 bulls so I would assume that they were still in the calfing areas. I will go back in a few weeks and look at the northern edge of the wilderness and the southern edge. Shoot me a pm to remind me and I can update you as to what I saw on the next scout.

Sounds good. I really appreciate the offer. Well do. I'll be researching all I can to figure out. I'll be working on my plan and make the most of my hunt. A little intimidating heading In there for an elk as a elk rookie for the most part, but the challenge is what I live for. . I'm happy to hear you found so many Bulls

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good. I really appreciate the offer. Well do. I'll be researching all I can to figure out. I'll be working on my plan and make the most of my hunt. A little intimidating heading In there for an elk as a elk rookie for the most part, but the challenge is what I live for. . I'm happy to hear you found so many Bulls

It is big beautiful country id450 - you will have a blast!