New boots for backcountry

NDM91920

FNG
Im looking at getting a new pair of boots for backcountry hunting in Utah and Colorado. Im new to it and used a pair of danners that ive had for years for midwest deer hunting. They worked good but are heavy and insulated so my feet were sweating even with just sock liners on. I was just curious what some peoples experiences were with different brands and what to look for. The only higher end mountianeering boots in my area i have to try on are the Crispi Altitude GTX and i like the fit of them. Are those a good option or should i look elsewhere?

Im looking at getting a new pair of boots for backcountry hunting in Utah and Colorado. Im new to it and used a pair of danners that ive had for years for midwest deer hunting. They worked good but are heavy and insulated so my feet were sweating even with just sock liners on. I was just curious what some peoples experiences were with different brands and what to look for. The only higher end mountianeering boots in my area i have to try on are the Crispi Altitude GTX and i like the fit of them. Are those a good option or should i look elsewhere?
I also have an issue finding a "hunting boot" in my area. I spend some time on Youtube watched a bunch of reviews and started ordering boots online. Order a boot you may like, you'll quickly learn what features, materials and fit you like. Gohunt and Black Ovis have phenomenal customer service. Order a boot, try it out, inside. Both companies will accept returns as long as you don't wear them outside.

Fit is the first and foremost consideration. If the Altitudes fit well, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick them up. Crispi makes good boots, but is not without fail. I had a pair of Altitides leak on the first real trip I wore them on, but they were warrantied with no issue.

Other than than, you can follow the other above suggestion and order a bunch of boots and return what doesn’t work. All of the manufacturers fit slightly different and even have different lasts for different models.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl USA has a good return policy as well. They have a printable measuring guide or get measured on a brannock device and call them up. They were very helpful.

D16er

Lil-Rokslider
If you dont need waterproof I would suggest Salomon Quest 4D, I bought mine at REI and have been solid. I hunt in Socal so dont really see snow although we did have snow 2 seasons ago which was a pretty cool experience to hunt in.

If you dont like them within a year if youre a member you can return them.

Sapcut

WKR
I have tried my best over the years to use light “comfortable” waterproof mid hikers. Just couldn’t imagine using heavier mountain boots. For western mountain hunting, light hikers just don’t work. Your feet and ankles have to do too much work grabbing the earth on every step. I then I bought some used Kennetrek Hardscrabbles on eBay. I then realized why “mountain hunting boots” is such a thing. They do most of the traversing work.

Just like my top of the line bow, knife and KUIU clothes, my wife just bought me some brand new Zamberlan Guide Lux mountain boots on sale from GoHunt. Regular price is $450. Got them for $264.

Quality for real hunting.

taskswap

WKR
Having fractured my heel once hunting I'm now a firm believer that "fit" is everything. I would try on as many brands and styles as you can. I had Danner Alsea's and they just never worked for me, I would get blisters all the time. I ultimately ended up using a pair of Timberland Mt Maddsen's which fit me like a glove. This past season they gave up the ghost and despite re-waterproofing them (I do before every hunt) my feet were SOAKED after hiking through some snow, so I switched to an emergency pair of Dewalt work boots I always have in my truck. Laugh all you want at the brand, they fit me great and saved my hunt - I used them for 5 days through deep snow here in CO and put maybe 50 miles on them.

It doesn't "have to be" a hunting boot. And I'd definitely rather go uninsulated and occasionally use toe warmers rather than get insulated boots. Unless you're hunting 3rd season or later consistently.

madcalfe

WKR
Having fractured my heel once hunting I'm now a firm believer that "fit" is everything.
Isn't it fun having your heel fractured. I blew mine up dirt biking, still have the screws and plates in it 8 years later. Kennetrek everstep orthopedic were literately the only mountain boot I could get feeling good. Plus i dont think i could ever go back to a boot that doesnt have a rocker in the toes.

taskswap

WKR
Isn't it fun having your heel fractured. I blew mine up dirt biking, still have the screws and plates in it 8 years later. Kennetrek everstep orthopedic were literately the only mountain boot I could get feeling good. Plus i dont think i could ever go back to a boot that doesnt have a rocker in the toes.
Man that is a gorgeous boot. But are they really 4.2lbs for the pair? That must be the heaviest pair of boots I've ever seen. Does that wear on you after awhile? I hike a lot on hunts and I'll put in 10-15+ off-trail miles on a long day.

How would you describe how that toe rocker feels? Is it just more toe support or does it somehow work different than other boots without it? Their site raves about how good it is without actually saying what it does. :) I have sort of normal feet with big goofy toes so I need something with a big toe box to feel comfortable.

madcalfe

WKR
Man that is a gorgeous boot. But are they really 4.2lbs for the pair? That must be the heaviest pair of boots I've ever seen. Does that wear on you after awhile? I hike a lot on hunts and I'll put in 10-15+ off-trail miles on a long day.

How would you describe how that toe rocker feels? Is it just more toe support or does it somehow work different than other boots without it? Their site raves about how good it is without actually saying what it does. :) I have sort of normal feet with big goofy toes so I need something with a big toe box to feel comfortable.
I don't notice the weight of them. There the exact same weight as the mountain extreme 400g insulated pair.
Redwing work boots are the same weight as well lol. Also you can take out the steel braces on the side of the boots if you don't want them in so that would make them the same weight on the regular mountain extremes
But no they don't wear on you. I sheep hunt in them and put on about the same mileage.
The "rocker" is just the toe lifted 19 degrees up so when you step they want to push you forward almost.
It makes walking in them super smooth and effortless, like you got some pep in your step lmao I don't overly have the words to explain it. They don't feel like a normal stiff flat sole mountaineering boot that's awkward to walk on flat ground is what I'm trying to get at. I'm on year 4 with them and there finally starting to get a little worn out. But that's usually 2 sheep hunts a year and shale is hard on boots plus elk hunting every year.
There expensive but defiantly worth it if you've had any kind of ankle surgery or prone to rolling your ankles.

I can usually get in about 10km a day in my redwing work boots, or even just plain running shoes before my bad foot starts to bother me and get sore, where as I can literally hike all day with a 65lbs backpack up a mountain and my bad foot wont bother me at all in the kennetreks.

Last edited:

MRL1984

FNG
Foot shape matters too. I really like my Crispi boots, but they are narrow and this year my feet haven't liked them as much as they did before.

I'm currently wearing the Kenetrek desert guide which is super comfy. Seems like they crunch alot more walking though, so less than stellar for the spot and stalk archery.

Bluumoon

WKR
Gohunt group is very fair with ordering and returning boots. I think I tried on 6 different pairs from them before finding a fit.