New gun to replace my .243?

I'm starting to seriously consider selling my Savage Axis in .243 Win and replacing it with something more practical. I have a T3x in .308 Win that is my "western" rifle, but living in Iowa neither can be used during our Firearm deer season (.35 cal minimum). I just feel like the .243 doesn't have any real advantage over the .308, I don't really shoot it any better, ammunition isn't any cheaper, similar weights, it just seems redundant. It also doesn't help that the axis has a (comparatively) poor trigger and doesn't reliably eject spent cases.

At the moment I am leaning towards getting another T3x in .223 to use as a practice rifle and possibly for coyotes. Due to the whole .35 caliber rule in Iowa something chambered in .350 legend also crossed my mind.

What are your guys' thoughts? Would one of those be a a better option? Anything else I should consider?

Daniel15

FNG
I'm starting to seriously consider selling my Savage Axis in .243 Win and replacing it with something more practical. I have a T3x in .308 Win that is my "western" rifle, but living in Iowa neither can be used during our Firearm deer season (.35 cal minimum). I just feel like the .243 doesn't have any real advantage over the .308, I don't really shoot it any better, ammunition isn't any cheaper, similar weights, it just seems redundant. It also doesn't help that the axis has a (comparatively) poor trigger and doesn't reliably eject spent cases.

At the moment I am leaning towards getting another T3x in .223 to use as a practice rifle and possibly for coyotes. Due to the whole .35 caliber rule in Iowa something chambered in .350 legend also crossed my mind.

What are your guys' thoughts? Would one of those be a a better option? Anything else I should consider?
Got a couple 350 legends in the ar platform but they are pretty great out to ~200 yards.

Botay

FNG
.357 lever gun is good for 100-150 yard shots on deer, lots of fun to shoot, easy and affordable to practice with, compatible with 38 special, and gives you an excuse to get a companion revolver(s).

Last edited:

h2so4

WKR
A .223/5.56 would be my vote given the info provided. Fun, cheap to shoot and ammo everywhere. (Although not always the good stuff). If you have access to a local range that is 500+ yards, you may consider something else. But I think I’d still vote .223.

Unckebob

WKR
I'd want to shoot a rifle during deer season -> 350 Legend. If you get an AR, you can just get the upper for a 223 and essentially have both.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Get a cheap handi rifle in .444. It’s like a $200 rifle. We have a “primitive season” where we can use single shot straight walled cartridges in .35 or larger. I love mine. It’s heavy but short which is great for stand hunting, recoil isn’t terrible, and it’s accurate for that round. It’s topped with a ziess scope and I am confident to 300 yards on a whitetail. I find I use it a lot during regular rifle season too.

OP
Trout&Buck
Thanks For the feedback so far guys.

I made the mistake of asking my coworkers the same question toady, and the answers that I got back were basically all along the lines of " those are so boring get something different like a 5.7x28 or a .257 Weatherby."

Those don't quite fit my goal of getting something either cheaper to shoot (so that I can practice more), or use to hunt in Iowa. I'm also starting to wonder if a muzzle loader might be a good idea?

Fordguy

WKR
Another vote for the 350 legend. You might be surprised what it will do, even with factory ammo. I like the thought of the 444 handi, but I haven't seen one for sale in years, and not sure if it meets Iowa's cartridge rules. 450 bushmaster is a fun and very capable round too, but expensive these days.

Maki35

WKR
My vote is for a bolt action .223. Ammo is plentiful and cheaper to practice/hunt with than .243 or 350

slm9s

FNG
First sell the Savage. Second:

1. Find a rifle in 358 win or 350 legend
2. Find a barrel for your 308 in an acceptable chambering
3. Contact someone like JES to rebore one of your rifles to 358 win/etc

Buying a new rifle is never the wrong answer tho!

Micmac

FNG
I'm a big AR15 platform fan. Agree with those above. 350 Legend

Modulatiry will allow that one platform to handle multiple calibers and roles

OP
Trout&Buck
Thanks again for the feedback guys. I wound up getting rid of the .243 and replacing it with a muzzleloader. That opens up a couple new deer seasons for me in Iowa, and more out of state opportunities too.