Soooo I’m thinking about .243- few questions

GoatPackr

WKR
What did you end up paying for it after the 75 rebate?
I've been looking at some of these on gunbroker. Was thinking about buying a few of them in stainless. Family of 5 and we are planning our first family hunting trip next year out of state. Figured the wife and kids might as well get new rifles from dad.

Kris

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah mine was clearly stamped and labeled. Might see if the FFL will let you do a barrel twist test with a cleaning rod method?

we did, he only had a .22 rod, put a patch and small brush on it- it came out 10"-ish

the factory box also didn't mention 1:8 and was stamped January 23- I'm pretty sure that predates the arrival of the 1:8

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah there are a couple of pics in another thread and this from a recent for sale barrel

e939459dcae089b3de15f4b8e1e6b18f.jpg

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Just a quick update, no luck scouring the intraweb for a couple of weeks straight looking for a Kimber .243.

Sooo today ordered a Tikka T3X Lite in stainless, found a good price and there is a $75 rebate from Tikka.

It's 1:8 :)

Barrel is 22.4, going to lop 2-3" off of it and send it in to LRI to have it fluted- going to have them do straight flutes and try to match up the factory fluting on the SuperLite as close as possible.

Now I have to figure out the secret handshake :ROFLMAO:
Good decision

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
With the Tikka, I’d change my vote to 105 VLDs if you can find some loaded. That’s what I’m rolling with in my 6 Creed and I’ve been REAL impressed with them on deer and elk.

Dave

I’ll second the 105 VLD’s. That’s straying away from your original AccuBond preference, but I think it’s generally agreeable that they are some fine shooting and effective bullets. Also, for the 105’s , the relatively easy to find H4350 is a great pairing.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to handload- about 40 years ago when the only way to get a Partition bullet was to handload; eventually Federal and others, offered loaded Partition ammunition and eventually sold all my handloading stuff.

Maybe I need to jump back in :D

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright, so- the rifle has been shipped back (on their dime), contacted them today and they have a few .243's (SS Lite's), but all are apparently 1:10 so they are going to refund my money.

I had quit my search for a Kimber Hunter in .243 as they were nonexistent, but started searching again and found one at Wyoming gun shop. Sooo- I'll still have a new .243, but another Kimber.

Maybe there is still a Tikka in my future, but not right now.

I used to handload- about 40 years ago when the only way to get a Partition bullet was to handload; eventually Federal and others, offered loaded Partition ammunition and eventually sold all my handloading stuff.

Maybe I need to jump back in :D

I wouldnt unless I was shootin a bunch

Alright, so- the rifle has been shipped back (on their dime), contacted them today and they have a few .243's (SS Lite's), but all are apparently 1:10 so they are going to refund my money.

I had quit my search for a Kimber Hunter in .243 as they were nonexistent, but started searching again and found one at Wyoming gun shop. Sooo- I'll still have a new .243, but another Kimber.

What twist is the kimber?

Jbehredt

WKR

Maybe there is still a Tikka in my future, but not right now.
No fist bump for you.