Soooo I’m thinking about .243- few questions

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shedding some more weight. I pulled the "gel" from the rear of the stock; 8 oz on the scale, but a wee bit more actually as there were some "gel" shavings as I drilled into it. Filled with Loctite spray foam- stuff is uber light, but takes away the hollow sound in the stock.

gXywqts.jpg

sp247FF.jpg

kuBNCGm.jpg

Elite

WKR
I am wondering if the tikka mags allow you to load the heavy bullets in the 243?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think guys are using the longer mags if they don’t, evidently they fit in the shorter actions. Maybe someone with more knowledge of Tikka’s can confirm that.

eric1115

WKR
I think guys are using the longer mags if they don’t, evidently they fit in the shorter actions. Maybe someone with more knowledge of Tikka’s can confirm that.
So I was doing some measuring with mine before sending off for an AI chamber.

108 ELDM seated at the lands is 2.830 OAL in mine.
106 TAP is 2.885 OAL.

Both these seat the boattail junction below the neck/shoulder by ~0.050, so not terrible.

The M+ magazine (6.5 CM) allows a 2.95 OAL, factory M magazine that comes with .308 based chamberings are limited to 2.80. I believe both work with the standard short action bolt stop, but my M+ magazine had not arrived before I sent the barreled action off to the smith.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So I was doing some measuring with mine before sending off for an AI chamber.

108 ELDM seated at the lands is 2.830 OAL in mine.
Which Tikka do you have? Mine has the 1:8" barrel and am planning to shoot for 2.80" OAL with the 108 ELD-M's and 108 Bergers. I measured the magazine at something like 2.85 or something close to that so it should work with these. But was wondering where that would fall with the lands.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Thats all I shoot, mainly because I'm cheap. They do work well though.

Would you be comfy hittin something under 2k fps with them?
Based on 4dof the impact velocity of my longest shot was 1870 or so. It worked well at that velocity. 2 more kills shortly after were under 2000 fps at impact with the same result.

eric1115

WKR
Which Tikka do you have? Mine has the 1:8" barrel and am planning to shoot for 2.80" OAL with the 108 ELD-M's and 108 Bergers. I measured the magazine at something like 2.85 or something close to that so it should work with these. But was wondering where that would fall with the lands.
Mine is the 8 twist also. I think you'll run out of throat and magazine at about the same length, and be seated somewhere around 0.050 deeper than boattail junction at neck/shoulder. Not bad at all, light years ahead of any other factory .243 I'm aware of. Hope yours is like mine, I'm thinking that AI chamber/throat may not be quite as much extra juice as I had initially thought. Stock is pretty well set up to shoot the 108s effectively.