New guy looking for a partner!

frostop

FNG
Hey All,

I was referred to this site from a gentleman over on the long range mag site mtnwrunner.

I am looking for someone to do some backpack hunting with.
I live in Athol Id. and all my current hunting partners either aren't willing or able to time wise or phyiscally.

I am interested in pretty much any hunting in Idaho, would be willing to meet up and go scouting or just hiking.
I am new to the backpacking thing but not new to hiking.

Gary

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. I am planning on hunting quite a ways south of you in Idaho the first week of archery elk season and would like to have a partner. It will be my first trip to ID and this summer has not and will not allow me the time to get out there to scout. Not ideal but you have to start somewhere in a new area.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Gary, good to see that you made it over here and welcome! I think that roksliders are the most experienced guys and gals that you will find anywhere. Now, since you are over here, get your wallet out cause this site will cost you................:rolleyes:

Randy

OP
F

frostop

FNG
Yeah, I just dropped $700 last week on a bunch of First Lite. Actually got a new rifle that I have been playing with as well and got my eye on one of those kill kits in the store! It's an illness!

I am really wanting to bowhunt the salmon region, if anyone is interested?

Gary

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
frostop - I'm planning on hunting the Pioneer elk zone, which I see is part of the Salmon region.

Last edited:
Pioneer zone and Salmon zones are separate. They border each other (unit 36b in the Salmon zone and 36a is in the Pioneer zone) but are two different tags. Just wanted to put that out there in case you guys have bought your tags already.

OP
F

frostop

FNG
Yeah, gonna go down the weekend after next to the Stanley area camping with the wife, gonna try and get a hike in and hopefully find something. Probably would have gone down there years ago if it weren't for the different zone tags!

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Pioneer zone and Salmon zones are separate. They border each other (unit 36b in the Salmon zone and 36a is in the Pioneer zone) but are two different tags. Just wanted to put that out there in case you guys have bought your tags already.

Yes, Idaho leaves room for confusion with naming. They have a Salmon Region but that appears to be where the CO's are based out of for F&G and then the elk zone's which we are talking about here.

So according to F&G Salmon B tags are sold out but not A tags. Does that mean Salmon A tags are lumped in with "All Other Zones" ?

All Other Zones
Last updated 2 days 20 hours ago
6,719 5,428

So according to F&G Salmon B tags are sold out but not A tags. Does that mean Salmon A tags are lumped in with "All Other Zones" ?

[/TABLE]
That's what it looks like since there's no specific quota for the "A" tags in that zone. One kind funky thing though, is you can't hunt unit 28 till December with that tag. The other three units in that zone are good to go in September though.

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, Gary; I'm not that far from you, in Leavenworth WA. Need to resolve some medical issues with my left knee, so backpack hunting's limited right now but depending on what my ortho guy says tomorrow, next season might work! looks like you're a rifle hunter? I'm wary of the hordes of pumpkins I find on opening day around here-it's like Viet Nam all over again, so I'm switching back to my longbow for next elk season. I've been out in the boonies most of my life, but constantly get surprised by the wisdom lurking on this forum!
Alex