New guy with some general gear questions

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been lurking and seldom posting but I think I’ve decided to take the plunge and attempt a western hunt in the near future. I already do a yearly backpacking/ trout fishing trip out west with high school buddies so I have decent amount of somewhat dated backpacking gear. I also periodically hunt whitetail in South Georgia on my wife’s family farm. I have two pieces of gear in hand that I would be grateful if some of y’all provided some opinions on:

1. First, my primary deer rifle is a lever action Browning BLR in 308 with a Very lightweight Leupold 4.5-14 scope on it. The rifle is pretty old (early to mid 70’s Japanese made model). Is this sufficient for a western hunt? I don’t see a lot of folks talk about backpack hunting with a lever action and I’m wondering if there’s something I’m missing. I’d guess the weight with scope is probably right under 8 lbs but I cannot find the exact specs of my old model on browning’s website? Do I need a fancy new Tikka in 30-06 or 270? I’d love an excuse to get one....

2. My second question concerns backpacks. I own a late 90’s model Dana Designs terraplane. It’s a big heavy pack but so far, it seems to work for me. Frankly I haven’t tried any newer packs so I don’t even know what I’m missing out on, but the terraplane design is fairly legendary. Should I splurge on a new pack or could I get by on a hunt or two with it? Would it help to add something like a Kifaru grab-it? Does anyone else hunt with an internal frame and if so, any tips on packing meat out?

thanks in advance.

Michael54

WKR
This is rokslide 50 people in the next 3 days will tell you to go buy a tikka. Its this forums spirit totem 🤣. So yes, yes you do absolutely need a new gun. The difference between success and failure will depend on it 🤣 Id suggest 7mm rem mag over 30-06 mainly because i love mine but also because its flatter shooting over 300 yds. If you can comfortably carry a significant amount of weight with your current pack you will be fine. Buy yourself a set of decent binoculars with what you had put back for a pack. Lastly go hunt. I swear my first trip out west was sponsored by walmart and dollar general 🤣. You learn real quick by doing what you need/don't need and what gear you would like to perform better.

C.payne

WKR
Fancy gear is great for the mountains but not vital to having success. It can make life a little more comfortable or keep your pack weight down but I don’t think much of it is necessary. I would say make sure you have a really good pair of boots first. A good layering system can keep you comfortable with the mountains ever changing weather systems as well. Then If you have money to burn, sure buy a new pack or bolt action rifle but if you trust your gear and it works use it, and upgrade if needed later. Many of my friends still use a Arcteryx Bora pack. When packing meat they just put it inside the bag.

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
This is rokslide 50 people in the next 3 days will tell you to go buy a tikka. Its this forums spirit totem 🤣. So yes, yes you do absolutely need a new gun. The difference between success and failure will depend on it 🤣 Id suggest 7mm rem mag over 30-06 mainly because i love mine but also because its flatter shooting over 300 yds. If you can comfortably carry a significant amount of weight with your current pack you will be fine. Buy yourself a set of decent binoculars with what you had put back for a pack. Lastly go hunt. I swear my first trip out west was sponsored by walmart and dollar general 🤣. You learn real quick by doing what you need/don't need and what gear you would like to perform better.
Thanks for the info. I have a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks 8X Binos that I hunt with here. Those would probably work, right?

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Fancy gear is great for the mountains but not vital to having success. It can make life a little more comfortable or keep your pack weight down but I don’t think much of it is necessary. I would say make sure you have a really good pair of boots first. A good layering system can keep you comfortable with the mountains ever changing weather systems as well. Then If you have money to burn, sure buy a new pack or bolt action rifle but if you trust your gear and it works use it, and upgrade if needed later. Many of my friends still use a Arcteryx Bora pack. When packing meat they just put it inside the bag.
Boots are definitely on my list. I’m probably gonna get some Saloman GTX’s. They weight approximately half the weight of my current Vasque Alpines from 1998 that I have been using.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
You're good to go bud 308 is solid and proven right load, right range, good placement.
The ony reason I've upgraded allot of stuff like my packs and tents and bags is quite frankly the stuff I had when I moved from Co. To Tn. Was confidently and forcefully removed from My storage unit when I moved here and nothing was recovered if it isn't broke don't fix it. Spend that money on a good set of glass, boots, range time and a couple of spare tires.

def90

WKR
Lever action will never work..

G0619-ELK-1.jpg

7_Elk-Cartridges-LEAD.jpg

dsc_0313_400.jpg

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Your binos will work, as will the pack etc.

I would suggest getting a solid pair of boots though, and focus on what will make you comfortable and able to stay in the field longer.

I think if you have the gear, which it sounds like you do, then plan a hunt and get some time under your belt out west before you go nuts buying a bunch of stuff. In the meantime, while you’re building out your list of what to take, also research “upgrade” options. Once you’ve got a hunt or two done, I think you’ll know pretty quick what things on that list to upgrade, and your purchases will be better informed on what to actually get.

Welcome.

I am a bit of a gear head, so do as I say and not what I do and hunt what you have. assuming your fund are not unlimited, I would slowly evolve my gear.

That rifle is fine. I drank the tikka cool aid and my primary rifle For deer is a tikka 6.5 creedmore Scoped and with a sling it is not all that much lighter than your gun.

I am a longtime dana designs fan and often recommend those old terraplanes as a bargain hunting pack. I still have a pack from 1996 in My stable that will be going strong when my knees and back have given up. As far as carrying meat, you could add a shove it and that would work but the weight is going to be further away from your center line If your pack is full. Most people that don’t have a shelf just pack inside the pack bag. the pack should be empty after the first run anyway. A contractor bag as a pack liner can help keep the blood from soaking the pack interior but they aren’t great for long term meat storage. FWIW the latest terraplane with a shelf , the TerrafrAme, is a hell of a hunting pack option.

As others have mentioned, I would focus on boots if you are going to put in miles. Clothing, sleep gear and optics would be my next category from upgrades.

Northpark

WKR
Just go hunt. I like my gear but I’ve accumulated nice gear over the better part of the last decade. Get to know your rifle and how it shoots out to at least 300 yards if not 400 yards. Good boots otherwise it sounds like you’ll be good for a first trip.

22lr

WKR
Its all about the budget and how often your gonna be using it. You can make cheaper gear last a long time if your only using it for a week or 2 a year. For the pack, if it works for you, it works. I have the Stone Glacier Sky Archer pack and absolutely love it, but had my wife not given it to me as a gift (ya I know, #SheIsAKeeper) id still be using my Osprey Atmos pack.

For the rifle, my recommendation, use it and look down upon us lowly bolt action heathens. The BLRs are seriously classy guns! Ya, you may not be able to shoot the wings off a fly from 300yards, but, im willing to bet your quarry will never notice a difference. That said, never let me talk anyone out of a new gun...

Your rifle and caliber is fine. Your pack is fine. Your binos are fine. Spend some money on good boots and warm clothes and go hunt. Like others have noted, you can add or replace items over the years as you find out what you like and dislike from actual field use.

OP
C

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Your rifle and caliber is fine. Your pack is fine. Your binos are fine. Spend some money on good boots and warm clothes and go hunt. Like others have noted, you can add or replace items over the years as you find out what you like and dislike from actual field use.
Thanks for the info fellas. I’m pretty pumped to know I can spend some money in another direction. Looking to snag one of those Seek Cimarron tents.