New Hunter, jacket sizing problems?!

jdh0610

FNG
Hey gang, been lurking for a bit and you all seem to be a wealth of knowledge. As mentioned, I'm new to hunting (located in NC) and am trying to piece together some decent gear. I ordered (at a steep discount) 3 pieces from badlands, a hoodie in XL, pants, and a jacket. The XL hoodie fits well, the jacket on the other hand (it's the badlands Calor) in XL feels like a straight jacket. I've never purchased a coat/shirt/hoodie over an XL, so now I'm confused and wonder if I'll need a 2XL in all brands. I'm 6'2 235, and am now looking at Kryptek and possibly KUIU and FL. If anyone has any experience with a specific coat from those brands and the sizing, that would be awesome. Id love to have something I can throw a hoodie under for really cold days, but also something that could be worn alone and not be huge. FWIW I intend to bow hunt a majority of the time. TIA!!!!

Justin

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Welcome. I know that KUIU runs tighter than most. I normally wear an XL and my KUIU Kenai jacket in XL is very tight. I picked up one in XXL and that fits like most other's XL's.

OP
jdh0610

jdh0610

FNG
Welcome. I know that KUIU runs tighter than most. I normally wear an XL and my KUIU Kenai jacket in XL is very tight. I picked up one in XXL and that fits like most other's XL's.
So you would wear an Xl tshirt day to day, and find that most hunting brands, except Kuiu you'd wear an XL? Maybe badlands just missed the mark on the Calor jacket.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So you would wear an Xl tshirt day to day, and find that most hunting brands, except Kuiu you'd wear an XL? Maybe badlands just missed the mark on the Calor jacket.
The KUIU jackets are the only "hunting" jackets I have. But ya......XL in shirts and other jackets.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some clothing is a little misleading. A “jacket” doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s cut to fit over several layers, it really just means that it has a full zip and/or outerwear type fabric.
More popular in mountaineering but there’s a few hunting jackets that I would put into that category. Reading the Calor description I think it’s meant to be worn over a base layer or two, otherwise that body heat activated ceramic feature wouldn’t work.

From my personal experience Skre, Sitka and Kuiu fit very similar and use an athletic cut. A large in their shirts is pretty tight and a little short. Large in their jackets is just right except rain gear over insulation is a bit tight. 6’2 200lbs I wear xl shirts and large jackets in those brands. Most casual clothes I’m a large shirt large jacket.