(New Member) Elk hunt caliber

Banks815

FNG
I’ll lead off by saying, I can’t believe I haven’t landed in this community before. New member and what a wealth of knowledge here, I’m from the North East, and have planned my first elk hunt. Most of the big game hunting in my region doesn’t require a precision rig. (Remington 760 and a 3x9 is plenty) , Although, i weekend warrior competitive shooting, I have not dabbled in the dark art of competitive long distance shooting. I’m trying to put together a light weight bolt gun and paralysis by analysis has kept me from jumping into a caliber. I was leaning toward .300 WSM, and then I went to YouTube. (Que brain melt). All opinions and experience wanted. Thank you in advance from the newb,

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum. Elk hunting is a terrible addiction. But I hope to never overcome it! I like a .30 caliber rifle for elk. Have several of the .30s but always seem to grab a .300 Win Mag for elk. Good luck and enjoy.

Tmac

WKR
A 300 WSM in a light rifle will recoil more than most like or can shoot well. Do you plan to use a suppressor or a brake? Or are you used to that level of recoil and shoot well with it? Nothing wrong with it at all, just things to consider.

All but a few of my elk have been shot with .257 - .284 bullets fired out of cartridges based off a 308 or 30-06. Examples are 25-06, 260 Rem, 270 Win, 7mm-08, 280 Rem. Have used a 243 Win and 30-06 on a couple as well. All worked very well. Minimum caliber for elk in OR is .243. So no experience with anything smaller.

I’d think a stainless Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 would make a nice compromise between weight and recoil. Give you 400-600, maybe more lethal range, depending on the bullet selected. We mostly shoot stainless Tikka’s in 270 Win for elk currently.

fwafwow

WKR
I’ll lead off by saying, I can’t believe I haven’t landed in this community before. New member and what a wealth of knowledge here, I’m from the North East, and have planned my first elk hunt. Most of the big game hunting in my region doesn’t require a precision rig. (Remington 760 and a 3x9 is plenty) , Although, i weekend warrior competitive shooting, I have not dabbled in the dark art of competitive long distance shooting. I’m trying to put together a light weight bolt gun and paralysis by analysis has kept me from jumping into a caliber. I was leaning toward .300 WSM, and then I went to YouTube. (Que brain melt). All opinions and experience wanted. Thank you in advance from the newb,
What’s the minimum caliber where you plan to hunt?

OP
B

Banks815

FNG
A 300 WSM in a light rifle will recoil more than most like or can shoot well. Do you plan to use a suppressor or a brake? Or are you used to that level of recoil and shoot well with it? Nothing wrong with it at all, just things to consider.

All but a few of my elk have been shot with .257 - .284 bullets fired out of cartridges based off a 308 or 30-06. Examples are 25-06, 260 Rem, 270 Win, 7mm-08, 280 Rem. Have used a 243 Win and 30-06 on a couple as well. All worked very well. Minimum caliber for elk in OR is .243. So no experience with anything smaller.

I’d think a stainless Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 would make a nice compromise between weight and recoil. Give you 400-600, maybe more lethal range, depending on the bullet selected. We mostly shoot stainless Tikka’s in 270 Win for elk currently.
Awesome response and info thank you. Although, I’m accustom to some of the bigger 30cal rounds, I didn’t consider the magnitude of it through a lightweight bolt. I’m not yet into reloading and was trying to factor in the best round with off the rack accuracy. I’m sure they all will shoot ‘good enough’ but there are a lot of opinions floating around. I’m glad to hear 7mm-08 and 270 win do sound like a good compromise.

fwafwow

WKR
A 6 creed shooting 108 eldms should work just fine and is legal in all the western states (at least I think it is) I permanently switched over to a 223 (where legal) after seeing what the 77 TMK did to two elk last year at 400 and 500 yards.
^^^^this.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
6mm and 6.5mm variant chamberings have been effective elk killing guns for me and those I hunt with personally. I’ll likely be expanding this to .223 as well this season depending on shot distance, terrain, and wind during hunts. To me, bullet choice is just as important, if not more important, for killing elk versus picking a “caliber”.

If I had to choose one caliber and bullet for elk hunting for the rest of my life, knowing what I’ve experienced so far, it would be a 6mm variant shooting 103 ELDX or 108 ELDM.

Hoping that becomes the .223 shooting 77 TMKs after this season (hope to kill 3 elk, 1 moose, 1 Tahr, and minimum 6 deer with these bullets in 2024).

06 SB

FNG
I have shot elk with anything from a 7mm08 to a 338Win Mag. Use the right bullet and they all will work. I have not seen an appreciable difference in impacts and quickness is kills. Hit them in the right spot with a good bullet and the elk will die. Make sure you can do that 100% of the time out to 300-400 yards otherwise limit your range. A poorly hit elk will go long, long distances. My son has been asking the exact same question as you. I recommended the 30-06 or the 270 to him. My favorite round is a 338Fed but that is a tough round to find a gun or ammo!

6.5 PRC or 6mm Creedmoor if you plan to run a short barrel/surpressor combo. 6.5 Creedmoor would also be good option if you were ok sticking to a longer barrel (24 - 26”). Stick with Hornady’s ELDM and you’ll have an easy to shot, turnkey gun. There is a lot of other great calibers, I just like the simplicity of the above. It’s the easy button per say.

I wouldn’t go bigger than 6.5 PRC. I’m in Utah and typically a part of 2-3 elk harvest per year. Just my thoughts.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member even if it's not an official intro post. :LOL:(y)

Eddie

OP
B

Banks815

FNG
A 6 creed shooting 108 eldms should work just fine and is legal in all the western states (at least I think it is) I permanently switched over to a 223 (where legal) after seeing what the 77 TMK did to two elk last year at 4

As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member even if it's not an official intro post. :LOL:(y)

Eddie
Thank you sir😂

Roadrunner1

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. If not hit right and with good bullet elk are very hard to kill. Find a rifle, caliber and recoil you can shoot comfortably and confidently. Good bullet is also very important, I like using Nosler partitions or Barnes TTSX, calibers I used 270, 30-06, 7mm RM and 300WM. Good luck.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m a traditionalist when it comes to rifles and cartridges for western hunting - a bonded or controlled expansion bullet from a 7 mag has been my all around rifle for a long time. Recently I’ve changed to a 6.5 PRC for most things. At distance it holds up even better than a 7 mag in trajectory and energy/velocity and does it with less powder and recoil. I predict 10 years from now the 6.5 PRC will be the most popular western cartridge.

If recoil doesn’t bother you, by all means get a 7 mag or 300 mag, but try a light weight one one before going all in.

Haven’t dabbled in long range at all? Get a 6.5 prc in a decent factory rifle, buy a metric a$$ton of very readily available hornady ammo and go shoot the dog piss out of it, get comfortable with it, then go shoot it more, get more comfortable with it, then go elk hunt. Don’t get caught up finding “the round”. Everyone has different opinions, get something you can comfortably shoot, accurately. I prefer something in the 7 family or .30 but I am very comfortable with those calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
First, welcome to Rokslide.

Second, caliber isn't as important as much as has been emphasize in the past. There are so many bullet choices that work well out of a given cartridge that it muddies up the waters.

Most important is to shoot well. Most shoot a mild recoiling cartridge better than one with significant recoil.

Picking a bullet that matches your cartridge, and performs well out to to distance you are proficient at is crucial.

I've yet to use a .223 on elk, though I regularly use a .25-06. In the past I've used all different rifles. With the right bullet choice, and puting the bullet where it should be, it didn't seem to really matter a lot.

What do you have the most experience shooting? How far out are you competent? Is this an excuse to buy a new set-up or are you genuinely concerned?

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed more game with my Win Mod 70 300 WSM than any other rifle in my quiver. A couple of years ago I got the muzzle threaded so I could put a brake on it. Using an area 419 Hellfire brake, it kicks somewhere in between a .223 and a .243. Yes, I can spot my shots with this setup. I’ve shot it enough, it’s about time to rebarrel.

KenLee

WKR
Plain Jane x-bolt 300wsm is a pussycat to shoot. Recoil feels less to me than a T3x Tikka 30-06, around what their 270 kicks.
X-bolt will have shorter receiver and shorter barrel, and as accurate or better with the same speed in a shorter barrel.
7mm-08 is a fine cartridge, but you are losing some effective distance.