New Mexico first season archery rut elk hunt. Let’s chat

landondenton

FNG
Classified Approved
Starting chat to talk about New Mexico first season archery elk hunt at the beginning of the rut. Let’s chat.

Following. I’ll be there for the first season as well. First time in New Mexico. 3rd year elk hunting. Very excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a lot 2nd season tag should be lights out

I've hunted NM a number of times but only once during early season. That year I was able to find elk almost daily but never heard a bugle until the 12th. I'm sure weather was a big factor. I'll also say that was quite awhile ago and I wasn't very confident calling so I'm sure I didn't help myself much. Did end up killing a course on the last morning.

I’ve got a lot 2nd season tag should be lights out

Should be very good. Second archery is usually pretty good. My opinion and opinion only is it’s easier to kill bigger bulls on the first hunt cause they aren’t all with cows yet.

I’ve got an early archery tag for unit 51... I’ve already made one scouting trip and hope to make a couple more before the hunt.
Unit 51 in northern New Mexico. I’ve heard of some guys killing som pretty good bulls there in the past years. Should be a good tag to have this year

I've hunted NM a number of times but only once during early season. That year I was able to find elk almost daily but never heard a bugle until the 12th. I'm sure weather was a big factor. I'll also say that was quite awhile ago and I wasn't very confident calling so I'm sure I didn't help myself much. Did end up killing a course on the last morning.
I’m a early season kinda guy. I put it as my first choice every year. I find that the bigger bulls don’t have cows yet. And you can make them mad with bugles and maybe with some cow calling and get them in. If not it’s still hot and water hole hunting can be very effective.

16E DIY. How about yourself?

I’m going out in August to scout hopefully. Will be towing my four wheeler out there for the season from South Carolina.

I have the exact same tag as a non res diy. Do you have people coming with you to help?

Should be very good. Second archery is usually pretty good. My opinion and opinion only is it’s easier to kill bigger bulls on the first hunt cause they aren’t all with cows yet.

I agree I just don’t enjoy the quiet

:mad::mad::mad: Now I know who drew my tags.

I'm not saying nothing!!!

I've actually never hunted the early season but keep trying to draw. Hope you do well!

Heads up;

I Hunting a mediocre unit in northern New Mexico last year and we ran into two seprrate groups of guys that had their camps completely stolen, one guy lost thousands of dollars worth of nice gear.

Granted the unit we hunted is a very depressed area where poaching is just a way to put food on the table.... which doesnt help the hunting either.

I don’t know what a guy can do to protect his camp while he’s away but just be advised.

—-

Back