New Peax sleeping bag

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t hate gritty or any of the crew, or people in general. But I DO hate their business approach. Brian’s pretty clear who he works with and is open about using what he likes. Generally good comparisons between things. I don’t like his content’s format as of late.

Another example of this today, which pains me because I like Brady M - browning released a new xbolt 2, and there he is on the gram showing it. That in itself is pretty natural as he’s been using browning for a good while, no biggie. But whoever the clown in browning marketing that just HAD to have him wear a browning camo jacket, as a placement: fake. So fake. He’s in Sitka like 24/7. It’s like another form of ambush marketing. And I do hate that.

huntnful

WKR
I don’t hate gritty or any of the crew, or people in general. But I DO hate their business approach. Brian’s pretty clear who he works with and is open about using what he likes. Generally good comparisons between things. I don’t like his content’s format as of late.

Another example of this today, which pains me because I like Brady M - browning released a new xbolt 2, and there he is on the gram showing it. That in itself is pretty natural as he’s been using browning for a good while, no biggie. But whoever the clown in browning marketing that just HAD to have him wear a browning camo jacket, as a placement: fake. So fake. He’s in Sitka like 24/7. It’s like another form of ambush marketing. And I do hate that.
I honestly like almost all of them too. Remi Warren is probably one of the most awesome humans and hunters on the planet. Salt of the Earth guy.

But exactly as you said. It’s not reviews anymore. It’s commercials for products they’re paid to use, or given for free. They even posted his blooper about getting all the browning key words right lol.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
And taking checks to push those “good enough” products is what’s allowing them to be out hunting for a job instead of working a 9-5. The time in the hills is what is driving the success and why some of them come across as such great hunters and not based on skill or knowledge

This is it right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFrank

WKR
I cannot stand when a company releases a new product on social media, and the first handful of comments are from the social media influencers that have been paid to use or maybe even paid to just vouch for the product. One of the most use comments seems to be "this is straight fire"
If sales folk say “straight fire”, “legit”, “tac driver” or “game changer” in a sentence my ass hat flag goes up.

woods89

WKR
Ted K from ARC said in a podcast a few years ago that the reason he doesn't donate to PRS prize tables is that "when you see someone using my stuff I want you to know that they thought it was so good they spent their hard earned money on it." I've thought about that a lot over the last few years, and I really respect his approach.

The reason influencer and content marketing are so prevalent is because they work. The lack of authenticity sure becomes nauseating, though.

I don't think I'll be buying any Peax.

Ted K from ARC said in a podcast a few years ago that the reason he doesn't donate to PRS prize tables is that "when you see someone using my stuff I want you to know that they thought it was so good they spent their hard earned money on it." I've thought about that a lot over the last few years, and I really respect his approach.

The reason influencer and content marketing are so prevalent is because they work. The lack of authenticity sure becomes nauseating, though.

I don't think I'll be buying any Peax.

Ted's a good guy and it's a interesting stance but I don't think it's working

rcb2000

WKR
That's the discouraging part. I'd like to believe someone would be rewarded for just focusing on making exceptional products, but the reality is that the general consumer is drawn to influencer and content marketing like moths to a flame.
That’s why resources like Rokslide, and lately Mindful Hunter reviews are great. Honest feedback on gear with no incentive to push brands.

huntnful

WKR
That’s why resources like Rokslide, and lately Mindful Hunter reviews are great. Honest feedback on gear with no incentive to push brands.
Couldn’t agree more. love the work that mindful reviews has been doing for sure. I signed up for a life membership myself, because I think his platform is very important for getting unbiased info out there.

I think this thread is highlighting a lot of stuff that came out in some other threads and I'll post how I'm viewing this.

When I look at a product, I don't necessarily ask "where is this made?". I ask "does this product perform in a way that justifies the price & does another company produce a product that performs the same and made in the USA?"

I'm sure we all would prefer "sourced and made in the USA". But that label doesn't mean its a good product. I wear Origin jeans and boots because they flat out fit right and are tough. But I also keep not buying a certain optic thats made in the USA because they haven't had a good track record for a number of years now. At the end of the day the personal value you put on the product and value of your dollars spent is what drives our decisions.

That question usually drives my purchase decision. Sometimes i'll throw in the "is the owner a douchebag?" question.

I look at the Peax sleeping bag and I'm not seeing a filled niche or some "great innovation". Unless you consider that they have arm holes?? I already sleep with a hoody and warm hat.. I'll buy a nemo sleeping bag before I buy a Peax bag

rcb2000

WKR
Couldn’t agree more. love the work that mindful reviews has been doing for sure. I signed up for a life membership myself, because I think his platform is very important for getting unbiased info out there.
Funny enough he did the review on the Peax headlamp that people were claiming was just a rebranded $20 one from China.

He found that it in fact was similar, but definitely performed better than the cheaper one.

In that case you can say “yes you get more for your money”

Funny enough he did the review on the Peax headlamp that people were claiming was just a rebranded $20 one from China.

He found that it in fact was similar, but definitely performed better than the cheaper one.

The headlamp is the only Peaks item I own. And Yes, it's a good headlamp and I have had no issues with it. The main advantage I see is the rechargeable battery last longer than most, but is heavier. The red light is the brightest I have seen and actually is bright enough to hike in the dark. Thats where the advantages stop.

Funny enough I had already given up on Peaks based on this purchase experience, the sleeping bag was just icing on the cake. My first order the light would not charge. I actually posted on rockslide about their terrible Customer service. There were no phone numbers to call, and my emails would go days with no response. I finally got short with them and said this is not a way to run a business for repeat customers and good word of mouth. Finally, after a month, I got a new one sent to me that worked.

This headlamp is $95 which is highly overpriced. Besides the bright red light my black diamond for $60 does everything this light does and is lighter.

huntnful

WKR

Absolutely. I’d definitely trust his unbiased reviews, more than the ten most popular influencers with discount codes saying the same thing though lol

This headlamp is $95 which is highly overpriced. Besides the bright red light my black diamond for $60 does everything this light does and is lighter.

Black diamond makes a great headlamp. I'm a fan of the them. I lost my last one. My current headlamp is a Fenix that has a small lithium battery than can be charged in the headlamp or removed to charge. This is my second Fenix product and I'm good with it.

The fenix and the BD are at least $20 cheaper than the PEAX

sneaky

"DADDY"
They will still sell product, but its funny to me how much Peaks gets bashed on Rokslide, which is a vast majority of the of their target consumer base. You would think they would want to keep us in good graces and want to have healthy dialogue whether they agree or not. Again, just another sign that Peaks is a fraud.
I'm waiting for their Muley Freak collab to drop. Wouldn't that be an epic thread.... for about 3 minutes lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I get all the marketing and business strategy things posted.
I still don’t see another bag out there that has the features and specs of this bag.
The SD on the first page doesn’t have enough down at 18 something ounces, the shell material isn’t going to cut wind like the peax claims, and I’m not sure about the foot box shape but I can tell you from experience, my SG foot box is a huge difference maker and peax went that same direction with this bag.
Peax features that I see as unique compared to most or not used in this combination.
-22 plus oz of 850 down fill
-shell material being inherently wind resistant to wind proof (SG does this with yarn shape and it ABSOLUTELY works on their bags)
-foot box shape
Then add center zip and arm holes that aren’t available on most other bags with the 3 above on top of a reasonable weight and I’m seeing a product that fills a need/use that just isn’t on the market.

I certainly disagree with how companies operate but if a product does what I want and is what I’m looking for I’m going to buy it because it’s the best for me.

A friend bought the PEAX bag for tge features and specs after shivering in the morning getting up, eating and ready while watching me in the sitka bag all season last year cozy and warm, so hopefully i will get to see it in use.

Rokslide is about real use and experience.