New rifle? What caliber?

BrentC

FNG
They're probably a hundred different ways to answer this question but I could use a little help.
First I live in SE AK so game wise blacktail, blackbear, islands nearby have goats, elk, and moose.
For rifles: Sako finnlight and a Kimber. I like that Kimbers come with a threaded barrel as I will be running a suppressor. Could the Sako barrel be threaded?
Calibers: .270 win because jack oconner nuff said. 7-08 availability of ammo and like the .270 will take the game around me without a problem. 6.5 creed moor just to jump on the train. Last but not least .3006 because you have so many options for reloading and can handle a moose.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
It is hard to beat the 06 for its all around ability. There really isn't any big game in North America that can't be taken with the 06. .270 are also a solid caliber that I would not question against most game in North America. 708 and 6.5 perform very similar and you couldn't go wrong with either of them.

If you are going for a light weight gun then the 708 or 6.5 would be my suggestion for the light recoil that both produce. 30-06 in a light weight gun would be like getting kicked in the shoulder by a mule every time you touch the trigger.

If you want an all around gun and don't care about the recoil then I would get the 06.

16Bore

WKR
Fan of the '06, but what you need is a 7RM and I just happen to have a bad ass one in the classifieds.

May as well throw a .280AI into the mix. I recently picked up a .270 Mountain Ascent and I've had a real hard time putting it down. It's sooo light, kicks like my Red Rider BB gun, makes clover leaves on paper at 100 yards, and last but not least, it's super sexy! Oh, everyone seems to have .270 ammo in stock as well, so I have no excuse not to shoot it. I bought the gun second hand but new in box and although a .270 wouldn't have been my first choice, I'm not regretting the purchase.

Any of them will handle everything on your list. If I was fighting a lot of brush I'd opt for a lighter/handier rifle in 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a case of pick your poison and go kill something.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know why but out of all the different calibers I own I am always reaching for my 6.5 Creedmoor. It is light, accurate, anyone in my family can shoot it, and kills everything I need it too. Just a pleasant caliber gun to own.

kaboku68

WKR
SE Alaska has a lot of areas where there is close timber and large aggressive Brown Bears. 6.5 Creedmoor would work in a pinch but a 338 Win Mag with 250 grain partitions would work better. 30/06 with 200 grain partitions is groovy.

OP
B

BrentC

FNG
May as well throw a .280AI into the mix. I recently picked up a .270 Mountain Ascent and I've had a real hard time putting it down. It's sooo light, kicks like my Red Rider BB gun, makes clover leaves on paper at 100 yards, and last but not least, it's super sexy! Oh, everyone seems to have .270 ammo in stock as well, so I have no excuse not to shoot it. I bought the gun second hand but new in box and although a .270 wouldn't have been my first choice, I'm not regretting the purchase.

If you start regretting the purchase let me know you can make my decision a lot easier. Haha
Have you had any experience with the Sako finnlights to compare the 2? Thanks

Have you had any experience with the Sako finnlights to compare the 2? Thanks

No, not really. One of my hunting buddy's has one and I have shot it before, but that was a few years ago and I don't really remember. I also have a Tikka T3 lite in 7-08 (I know, not the same as the Finnlight, but not too far off), and two more Montana's in 300wsm and .280AI, and while the T3 is a great little rifle and super accurate, I just prefer Kimber's and that Mountain Ascent is just really enjoyable to shoot.

JP100

WKR
Sako in 30-06 problem solved. Easy to get threaded. We can get Tikkas and Sakos threaded off the shelf here.
I wouldn't go less than .30 cal if your in big bear and moose country.

I have seen two Kimbers of clients have feeding issues in the field in hunting situations and have seen/heard of this being not un common.
A Sako or Tikka will not fail you.

Wouldnt bother with a 6.5.

Boreal

WKR
I got my Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker as my AK do-everything rifle. Great, but 8+ pounds. Next was a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor. 6 pounds with the scope, and puts .5" in groups at 100 and the load isn't fully developed. If you've already got the 7mm, that's your bear and moose round, pick up the Creedmoor and start climbing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk