New Ruger American Gen II

I was able to handle one at the Scheels in Fargo this past week. I can confidently say that the stock is shite. The action is much smoother than a Gen 1. I couldn't try the trigger as they have trigger locks on all of the display guns. The 3-postition safety was easy to use, nice positive clicks and did lock the bolt in the fully safe position and allow the bolt to cycle in the middle position. That stock though, ugh. Very thin, hollow and the ergos are bad. The Gen 1 stock isn't great either, but this thing is even worse in my opinion. At least for me.

If Stocky's sells a VG CF stock for the American, I may consider buying one in .22 ARC, but handling that one pretty much convinced me to move forward with my plan to build a .22 Creed rather than wait for the .22 Arc Ruger.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 684719View attachment 684720View attachment 684721

I picked up my 300blk this week. Got it home and started to put it together. Noticed the bolt looked off. Then I realized it was missing the extractor. Probably safe to assume that it wasn’t test fired before it left. So I put a light load sub through it and worked as it should have. Until it needed to pull the case which I didn’t expect it too. Took a cleaning rod and knocked it out. Took the rifle back to my lgs and they contacted ruger to see what they wanted to do. They are sending parts so hopefully I’ll get this thing out soon and get it dialed in.
this is the ultralight model. extractor ounces equal pounds

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one of these up last month in .223. Put a scope on it and have only shot about 25 rounds through it so far. Shooting out of a sled, I was getting near touching bullet holes right out of the gate at 100yds. Haven't measured groups, but I just got into reloading so I'll start measuring as I go through load development.

I'm planning to use it mostly for predators and plinking, may use it for antelope and deer, too, at some point. I'm also thinking about a stock upgrade, but waiting to see how well I shoot it away from the sled to see if it's even necessary. I doubt I'll ever shoot past 300yds but I can understand why guys shooting further might shy away from the factory stock. I don't mind the texture/feel of the factory stock and it's a light enough rifle that I really don't notice it's there carrying it through the woods. Very happy so far considering what I paid for it.

matthewmt

WKR
Anyone tried a aftermarket stock for one of these?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Stugotz

FNG
I bought one of the Ranch 300 Blk when they first came out.
Probably my most shot centerfire rifle, it's insane how quiet it is with a can. I can shoot all I want and my neighbors don't hear a thing.
What is the muzzle thread on this rifle? (My can is 1/2x28). I pick up my rifle this coming Friday, hence the question.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
Thanks! I just finished placing an order for a replacement (5/8x24) threaded cap with Rex Silentium for my Mod X Suppressor. :cool:
You’ll enjoy your setup. I’m still waiting on my extractor parts. But I shoot 300blk suppressed in my AR all the time. It’s a super fun little round.

tony

WKR
Damn! Went to order a 7mm-08 from sportsman's warehouse and its out of stock again.
Should have done it last night.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Found some in 6.5cm and .308 for under 600. Hard to beat for a first time rifle owner

grfox92

WKR
I handled a Gen2 at Scheels the other day that still had the Gen1 zipper sound and feel while cycling the bolt. The first one I handled didn't have it and had an Uber smooth bolt. QC?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Rolltide

FNG
For anyone who bought the Ranch in 5.56 and got the AICS replacement bottom metal ( plastic ) from Ruger, does it feed well from the AICS magazines?

That's the route I plan to go. All of the shops in my area have Gen 2s, but they can't keep a 5.56 in stock.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I handled a Gen2 at Scheels the other day that still had the Gen1 zipper sound and feel while cycling the bolt. The first one I handled didn't have it and had an Uber smooth bolt. QC?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Same here. I handled one at Cabelas, and it felt just like the gen 1.