New SG bino harness is on the way ...

rrbailey

FNG
I
I’m a big SG fan - but the lack of padding in the top enclosure resulted in my eye cups getting banged up pretty good when I packed out with the setup in my pack. And the harness always made my neck hurt.

I went marsupial and so much happier with padding in top enclosure and how the neck harness sits. Can’t even tell they are in and even hunted with large revolver attached to bottom.

But… I will def give the new SG bino harness a good look and maybe even a try if they did some upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am with you 100% … I’ll give the SG Gen 2 a strong demo run before buying (helps living in Bozeman and knowing a few of the SG guys). After looking it over, it will give the Marsupial a run for its money. Will come down to personal preference.

sr80

WKR
I

I am with you 100% … I’ll give the SG Gen 2 a strong demo run before buying (helps living in Bozeman and knowing a few of the SG guys). After looking it over, it will give the Marsupial a run for its money. Will come down to personal preference.
Does this new one have some more padding then? Hard to tell in the teaser pics, but it doesn't look like it has much structure compared to a marsupial.

Does this new one have some more padding then? Hard to tell in the teaser pics, but it doesn't look like it has much structure compared to a marsupial.
It’s more design than padding for comfort. My current harness, and the other one I have and like, have zero padding but cause no discomfort or fatigue.

I assume some of it comes to body type, but there are certainly harnesses that are comfortable on almost anyone

I don’t think the new SG will be ideal for me, but I will probably buy one to see if I can modify it to work for me. There is a lot to like about their harnesses, but there are parts of the design that I don’t like or understand

Maybe they’ll surprise me and I’ll understand once it’s released and we can see all of the details, but from what I’ve seen, i don’t love it

It looks like the new design they made the straps wider and padded, which I think is a bandaid, but maybe I’m wrong

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It’s more design than padding for comfort. My current harness, and the other one I have and like, have zero padding but cause no discomfort or fatigue.

I assume some of it comes to body type, but there are certainly harnesses that are comfortable on almost anyone

I don’t think the new SG will be ideal for me, but I will probably buy one to see if I can modify it to work for me. There is a lot to like about their harnesses, but there are parts of the design that I don’t like or understand

What are the parts you don’t like or understand?

It looks like the new design they made the straps wider and padded, which I think is a bandaid, but maybe I’m wrong

They aren’t padded. It’s a completely new harness design.

What are the parts you don’t like or understand?

They aren’t padded. It’s a completely new harness design.
I don’t like the little clips on the front, for a couple reasons, and I didn’t like the way the weight rode on my neck, and I think there is a relation between the two… with the gen 1, I felt if I could get the whole harness higher, the weight would have been distributed better, but the hardware kept it from adjusting as high as I wanted

2 occasions during the short time I wore the harness, I had one of the clips come loose jumping off of big 2nd growth blowdown

I want to get a gen 2 in hand to see if I can rig it differently and suit my needs, because there was a lot I liked about the gen 1, but it was uncomfortable, couldn’t get my binos as high as I liked, and don’t like the clips

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don’t like the little clips on the front, for a couple reasons, and I didn’t like the way the weight rode on my neck, and I think there is a relation between the two… with the gen 1, I felt if I could get the whole harness higher, the weight would have been distributed better, but the hardware kept it from adjusting as high as I wanted

2 occasions during the short time I wore the harness, I had one of the clips come loose jumping off of big 2nd growth blowdown

I want to get a gen 2 in hand to see if I can rig it differently and suit my needs, because there was a lot I liked about the gen 1, but it was uncomfortable, couldn’t get my binos as high as I liked, and don’t like the clips

The harness was specifically made to make the pouch ride higher and not ride up the back of the neck. The clips don’t bother me anymore as you can get the harness high enough, though you do need to tape the tag ends once adjusted. But I need to tape all clips, ends, etc on all harnesses.

The harness was specifically made to make the pouch ride higher and not ride up the back of the neck. The clips don’t bother me anymore as you can get the harness high enough, though you do need to tape the tag ends once adjusted. But I need to tape all clips, ends, etc on all harnesses.
I’m hoping I can get the gen 2 to my liking somehow, I did like the bucket design a lot, and the rangefinder pocket. Good call on taping the clips, that would solve that

I gave mine to a buddy who is a big dude, and he said it was comfortable enough for him, and he’s still using the harness, but I went back to my OV, and I have had 4 or 5 others since then, like what I’m using now, but if I can get the gen 2 SG comfortable, it will be ideal for what I want in a harness

My current harness has a little squeak getting binos out and back in, nothing like my marsupial, but enough I wouldn’t try anything inside 70yds if it was calm… the SG material is very quiet in that regard, and waterproof, which is a big benefit for me where I hunt, and quick drying

I’m hoping I can find a way (maybe it just will be) comfortable, the gen 1 wasn’t on me. Assume some of it is body type, I’m 6’ even and have a really hard time staying above 160# in the fall, usually under 150# by November, got all the way down to 134# a couple years ago by the end of the fall seasons

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m hoping I can find a way (maybe it just will be) comfortable, the gen 1 wasn’t on me. Assume some of it is body type, I’m 6’ even and have a really hard time staying above 160# in the fall, usually under 150# by November, got all the way down to 134# a couple years ago by the end of the fall seasons

Eat a sandwich homie.

I disliked the original harness. I’m interested in what you think of this one.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’m hoping I can get the gen 2 to my liking somehow, I did like the bucket design a lot, and the rangefinder pocket. Good call on taping the clips, that would solve that

I gave mine to a buddy who is a big dude, and he said it was comfortable enough for him, and he’s still using the harness, but I went back to my OV, and I have had 4 or 5 others since then, like what I’m using now, but if I can get the gen 2 SG comfortable, it will be ideal for what I want in a harness

My current harness has a little squeak getting binos out and back in, nothing like my marsupial, but enough I wouldn’t try anything inside 70yds if it was calm… the SG material is very quiet in that regard, and waterproof, which is a big benefit for me where I hunt, and quick drying

I also have trouble staying above 160…..

I used this bino harness all fall. Most harnesses pull on my shoulders, the marsupial being the worst. I found this harness very comfortable. I love the quick access to the mag and Kestrel. But my favorite feature is the long side pocket.

58d57993ac05442e55e7101391022850.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also have trouble staying above 160…..

I used this bino harness all fall. Most harnesses pull on my shoulders, the marsupial being the worst. I found this harness very comfortable. I love the quick access to the mag and Kestrel. But my favorite feature is the long side pocket.

58d57993ac05442e55e7101391022850.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
😂

That’s encouraging, I hope it’s the same for me. I want it to work. When the gen 1 came out, I thought I was done trying harnesses, hoping this one fits me, because I liked a lot about it

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but he’s talking pounds not kilos…
(jk please don’t block my IP address… again)

I’m built between you and @roosiebull though, and I struggled with it riding low as well. It wasn’t a huge discomfort for me, but it was a mild annoyance. So it seems to be independent of body types.
I haven t had this issue I’m 6-2 185. The black buckles are just above nipple line. Any higher and it would interfere with backpack sternum strap.

Pretty interested in this harness. I currently use an Alaska guide creations hybrid max. Has enough room to hold binos (obviously), rf in front, misc headlamp, ear plugs, lighter in bottom pouch, bear spray shock corded below that, empty water bag and tabs in back, wind checker off one side, and archery release or 3 rd mag on other side. Only reason I see to change is get rf off to the side, rather than out front, and 500d is a bit loud for archery.

Thinking this harness may check all the boxes.

Do we know when this sg gen 2 will hit the market?