New to archery

Mattyq17

FNG
Good afternoon all,

I am thinking about getting into archery for blacktail here in Ca. I have shot a compound bow before but don't know much about it. I have the opportunity to get the below for free to start learning. I am also going to go check out the local archery shop and ask questions there as well.

Anyways here is what I can get from my buddy. Please let me know if any of it is not worth messing with and if I would be better off buying better equipment to start off. I know free is always nice but also doesn't mean its not work spending some money on better equipment.

Bow : Mission Ballistic (2014) 70lb limbs

Truglo 5 pin sight

Stinger stabilizer

Spot hogg wise guy release

Arrows: Easton Axis 5mm 340 spine.

Is this bow and set up worth working with or would I be better off spending some money on a different used bow set up?

Thanks
Matt

OR Archer

WKR
If you can get that bow for free then do that. It’s a nice bow for you to start with. Spend a little money on new strings/cables and getting it fitted and tuned and it’ll do the job nicely.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with OR Archer! A free newish bow...YES!! I would agree with taking it to a shop if you’re new to archery. Have new a new string and cable put on as well as have them check the limbs for any damage (small cracks and overall condition). And of course have them properly tune the bow and make sure everything is all lined up and in sync. Goodluck!!!

Rob5589

WKR
Heck yeah! Don't pass up free. Get some new threads (if needed), tune it, and get to shooting.

OP
Mattyq17

Mattyq17

FNG
Thanks guys, if I can find some time this week I will take it the local archery shop and see what needs to be replaced and get it set up for my draw length and anything else it might need. Thanks!