New to coyote hunting

JohnnyD

FNG
Hi My name is Johnny I am 18 and I just got my hunting license We farm 2000 acres of almonds and we have a lot of coyotes on that land I would like to start hunting them but im not sure what to do first I have a coyote gun already.

You will either need to buy an electronic caller or get some hand calls. Coyotes can be called in with vocals (howls/whines/chirps), prey distress (mice, rabbits, birds) or pup distress (coyote fights). Vocals and pup distress can be made on the same calls. Prey distress will usually require another call. If you buy an electronic caller get one that you can purchase/download extra sounds (everyone has the standard sounds already).

You need to learn the “door way” principle so your stands are set up correctly. This will ensure you play the wind correctly and when they respond you have a good shot.

My advice is don’t wing it. Have a solid plan before trying to call. You won’t get a lot of second chances if you get busted.

You may be better served on a predator dedicated forum. Never seen a whole lotta coyote talk on the slide.

You can also search specific websites using Google. I find that’s better than the forum/website search engines. Follow the formula below:

site:website.com keyword(s)

Such as

site: predatortalk.com best spotlight

EDIT: looks like that turns into an emoji....corrected...but there shouldn't be a space between the colon and url.

Last edited:
Coyote hunting has gotten pretty popular. I'd start asking around and try to find someone in your area who regularly calls in and kills coyotes. See if you can go with them and see how they are successful or at least if they'll provide some insight on what works in your area.

You will struggle trying to spotlight coyotes. It can be done but there are many "how to's" you need to know first. Go to youtube and search "night crew coyote hunting" to learn from the one of the best. Don't just watch one or two episodes, watch a ton of them before you ever hit the field.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Since you mentioned almonds, I’ll assume you’re in California. Check the regulations for the state on night hunting. I can’t remember for sure, but it used to be illegal. Get an electronic call and use squirrel and rabbit distress calls. Worked well in our orchard when I lived there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Also ya gotta think about the wind and their view when you're walking in to where you think you're going to setup to try at first.

Quietly close your car doors. Sometimes purposefully park your vehicle in a place where, from where you remember them yipping from, when they busted you that last time you went into that area. This time... you'll think about where you heard them from when they busted ya that last time. So then, on subsequent trips in there, you plan it in such a way so that they don't hear you creeping in.

With eCallers... for example in a spot with a lot of desert Juniper bushes around, I'll stuff the eCaller into a tree about chest height and pointing INTO the wind. Then... you take up a crosswind position (25-30yds away) where you are backed up out of being in what would be their wind while entering the scene. And you're in the shadows as much as possible and backed up into a bush behind you. In front of you, you wan't as unimpeded a view of the bush and place in the bush you stuffed the eCaller into, as possible.

Gotta not press play until you're absolutely ready to begin! Get out all the fidgeties... get comfortable.. put thought into how you have your weapon at low ready. Maybe put the muzzle of your gun on top of your pack laid out in front of you to further obscure your legs/feet movement. So you don't have as far to lift it up to bring to bear. Sometimes one will surprise you and come in from VERY nearby! So be fully ready BEFORE you press play!

Also a lot of time a yote will swing in from behind the tree/bush your eCaller is stuffed into... so ya gotta be ready for that too.

And, out here in CA, you gotta remember that take of Bobcat is banned ATM. Sometimes they'll sneak in first. Usually you'll just see the tips of their ears just above the low "rabbit brush" on the desert/prairie floor.

Try without a motion decoy first. I've had them spook when they came in and saw the motion decoy. So now I don't really use that any more. And they come in just fine. I now happily have a FoxPro X24.

I have found a cross wind is actually best in many scenarios. Keep your E call out in front of you 80-200 yards (depending on cover, the lay of the land and your shooting capabilities) and just a little up wind. They will come in and circle down wind pretty much every time. If the wind is in your face they come from behind you and smell you before you even know they are there especially with pressured coyotes. If you are using a mouth call the most important thing is to hold as still as possible and if you have to move do it very slowly. Their ears are amazing so they pin point the sound and will be watching right where it is coming from.

TheGDog

WKR
I have found a cross wind is actually best in many scenarios. Keep your E call out in front of you 80-200 yards (depending on cover, the lay of the land and your shooting capabilities) and just a little up wind. They will come in and circle down wind pretty much every time. If the wind is in your face they come from behind you and smell you before you even know they are there especially with pressured coyotes. If you are using a mouth call the most important thing is to hold as still as possible and if you have to move do it very slowly. Their ears are amazing so they pin point the sound and will be watching right where it is coming from.
And when he says their ears are amazing, he is NOT freaking lying! It is UNCANNY how their heads will just whip around to pointing dead-on where that sound (you) emanated from!

Yeah.. crosswind... slightly downwind of the eCaller. And ALSO be prepared to NOT see them coming in, but instead... all of a sudden see them come in from around the backside the bush (around its base) you've got the eCaller stuffed into.

And I cannot stress this enough, be 100% ready to go with weapon, and all the wiggles and fidgets out, BEFORE you press play! Just because sometimes, occasionally, they'll surprise ya!

This one time, one happened to be nearby and came in super fast! Came in, in like 8 seconds before!!!

What type of calls is everyone using right about now? I've been out hunting ponderosa pine hills in NE OR and been getting skunked the last month and a half. Been using sequences of rabbit distress, mating calls, pup distress, and fawn distress in the Icotec. I know there are coyotes in the areas I'm hunting from when there was snow on the ground.

Research and Scout: Before heading out, gather information about coyote behavior, habitat, and hunting regulations in your area. Scout the hunting grounds in advance to identify potential locations where coyotes frequent, such as areas with dense cover, near water sources, or in open fields.

Choose the Right Gear: Opt for a high-powered rifle or a shotgun for coyote hunting. Since you mentioned using black powder, make sure you're confident with your firearm and its capabilities for this type of hunting.

Use Coyote Calls: Coyotes are highly responsive to calls, so investing in electronic or manual predator calls is essential. Common calls include rabbit distress, coyote howls, and distressed rodents. Practice using the calls to make realistic sounds.

Concealment and Camouflage: Coyotes have keen senses, so you need to remain hidden. Wear appropriate camouflage clothing and use natural cover to break up your silhouette. Stay downwind to avoid your scent being detected.

Decoy Setup: Pair your calls with a visual decoy to make it more convincing. A motion decoy or a lifelike decoy can attract curious coyotes within shooting range.

Hunt During Peak Activity Times: Coyotes are most active during early morning and late evening. Plan your hunting trips around these times for better chances of success.

Practice Patience and Stillness: Coyotes are cautious animals, and it may take some time for them to respond to your calls. Be patient and avoid making sudden movements or noises.

Learn from Experienced Hunters: You mentioned wanting to find a local mentor, and that's a fantastic idea. Experienced hunters can offer valuable insights and teach you practical tips specific to your area.