New Truck--Dependability

Weldor

WKR
That sucks, especially with chinese parts being so reliable. My 2013 Jeep unlimited is around $90-120 for the door and install. Seems like it lasts about 2 years.

Bama67

FNG
Despite what most people think, the Gladiators have been proving to be pretty reliable (the gas ones anyway) The 8 speed ZF trans they have is pretty bulletproof and they work well.
The 3.6 is fairly ironed out at this point if a bit underpowered, but the mpg isnt bad (around 20 mpg) and there are millions of them around, and a ton with high miles.
Believe it or not, my Gladiator has a higher payload than my last two full size Tundras did.

The last few months they had pretty good sales going on, you could get a nice equipped gladiator, starting around $30k, which in this day and age is cheap for a new 4x4 truck.

It's definitely a compromise, but it's a fantastic vehicle for buzzing around in the mountains, very nimble, with the bed giving me a ton more room to haul crap than my old Wrangler or 4Runner, and it's so capable, if the Gladiator won't make it somewhere, I don't need to be driving a truck in there in the first place.
I've tossed around selling it but when I get up in the mountains with the doors and roof off, it's just so damn fun, that I live with it's shortcomings. If I need a real truck I just use my old gas Super Duty.
That said, the new Ranger with that 2.7 Ecoboost would be a fun little hot rod.

WCB

WKR
Biggest thing I am surprised by is how little many of you guys drive your trucks! 5-10yr old trucks with less than 100K? I'm around 25-20k a year and don't feel I even drive that much.

Weldor

WKR
I use my truck as a truck, not a grocery getter. I use my jeep for that LOL. My diesel is for pulling and hauling loads and hunting trips towing SxS or Jeep otherwise it is in the garage. Can't beat'em for pulling grade with a load on them when it's 110 degrees.

CorbLand

WKR
Biggest thing I am surprised by is how little many of you guys drive your trucks! 5-10yr old trucks with less than 100K? I'm around 25-20k a year and don't feel I even drive that much.
I only put about 3-4K a year on my old Tundra. It was a 5 mile round trip commute to work and it took me up the canyon when I went hunting. Other than that, we took my wife's car.

WRO

WKR
Recall on the clutch/throw out bearing
Recall on the gas pedal getting stuck
Recall on the rear springs
Recall on the seat belts
And… the never ending frame rust Toyota was famous for and still somehow sold the shit out of Tacoma.
I got rid of it before the rust got bad.
The gas mileage was worse than my two 5.0 f 150s. My Tacoma was the 4.0, 6 speed, 2009 model.
The truck was a snap to work on. And it’s been well over a decade. It’s just the “bad things” nobody forgets
I am very interested in these new models though.

But Toyota took care of you prior to the problems prior most likely. Ford just told me to fuk off when my rear seat belt’s quit working at 55k miles, my heater blender cores both failed at 800 a pop, and my engine took a shit at 120k. Not to mention twice that it just died due to mechanical gremlins for no good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
Have a ‘24 Tundra and have had no issues so far. If you visit the tundra forum they’ve been keeping track of engine failures on the new ‘22+ model and the failure rate is very low, contrary to what most have posted here. I was also able to get a 10 year extended warranty for ~$1.5k for piece of mind as well which helps. Great truck, lots of power and really enjoy it. View attachment 710375
Is the ten year warranty through Toyota or a third party?

I've posted multiple times, my 2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost has now over 164k and the only part failure has been the exhaust manifolds(broken bolts).
Compared to my Toyota with the same mileage which had been through two water pumps, multiple body/trim issues, required new leaf springs at 60k and the rust holes in the frame weren't quite reaching 10mm which Toyota said isn't bad enough to replace under the frame rust recall, I'll take my chances with another F150.
I'm seriously tempted by the GMC 1500 3.0 Duramax, crap interior but that engine.....30mpg?

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
Toyota - sold through a dealership contact that does a lot of business through the Tundra forum.
Is that available at all dealerships or just your specific one? Would definitely feel more comfortable with 10 year warranty on the new Tundra.

Billinsd

WKR
My truck is not my daily driver, it sits most of the time.

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
I've posted multiple times, my 2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost has now over 164k and the only part failure has been the exhaust manifolds(broken bolts).
Compared to my Toyota with the same mileage which had been through two water pumps, multiple body/trim issues, required new leaf springs at 60k and the rust holes in the frame weren't quite reaching 10mm which Toyota said isn't bad enough to replace under the frame rust recall, I'll take my chances with another F150.
I'm seriously tempted by the GMC 1500 3.0 Duramax, crap interior but that engine.....30mpg?
I've been looking at the GMC too, but I read bad things about their transmissions. Have you heard anything?

Is that available at all dealerships or just your specific one? Would definitely feel more comfortable with 10 year warranty on the new Tundra.
It’s available to anyone. The warranty is owned by Toyota and can be used at any dealership.

180ls1

WKR
I've been looking at the GMC too, but I read bad things about their transmissions. Have you heard anything?

It's a funny thing to think about but make sure you guys are OK with the seats also. They felt absolutely terrible to me.

1715623855606.jpeg

Another +1 for the 2024 Tundra. Love mine. It’s the pro with the hybrid and is very roomy for a family vehicle but still crushes it on moderate NF trails out here in CO. Also unbelievably fast.

Only things I’d change would be to make it a 6ft bed instead of 5.5’ and somehow improve the turn radius. Damn thing turns like a 747.

Depending on your needs, Honda Ridgeline. I don't have one but have looked at one a friend has. I commute 54 miles one way so I have a Civic. One can make fun all they want and say it's not a truck. Given my experiences with Honda and all the stuff I hear of the big 3 and now Toyota if the Ridgeline fit my needs I'd have one in a heartbeat if I was after dependability.