New Truck--Dependability

Biggest thing I am surprised by is how little many of you guys drive your trucks! 5-10yr old trucks with less than 100K? I'm around 25-20k a year and don't feel I even drive that much.
I bought my low miles used Tundra exactly one year ago for just over $31k, and have put on almost exactly 5k miles. But I bought it expecting it to last me at least 20 years. I needed some insurance on my "old"er 35 year old Toyota 4x4 and 24 year old Ford F-350 7.3L diesel. I really don't expect those two to last me another 20 years......but who knows. I drive all three, but they have vastly different purposes. Even if I were to average 10k miles/year on the Tundra, I'd still expect it to last at least 20 years. Heck, 25k miles in a year is 68.5 miles per day. That's a lot of miles.

I was in your same boat exactly a year ago and ended up finding and purchasing a 2021 Tundra with 7k miles on it. I paid up for it - but justified it in my brain for the low mileage. I wanted to avoid the new TT V6 and didn’t care for the looks of the new ‘22+ body style. A year later and I don’t regret my decision at all and love the truck. Only thing I didn’t like about the 19-21 Tundras is the lack of transmission cooler. I’m fairly mechanically inclined so I put an aftermarket trans cooler on it myself and now I can tow with a little more peace of mind.

But Toyota took care of you prior to the problems prior most likely. Ford just told me to fuk off when my rear seat belt’s quit working at 55k miles, my heater blender cores both failed at 800 a pop, and my engine took a shit at 120k. Not to mention twice that it just died due to mechanical gremlins for no good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually sort of.
I had to split the cost on the clutch/bearing issue
Rear springs was a “squeak” the fix was to replace the spacers. Closest Toyota dealer to me is roughly 40 miles. Drove up and back they had the parts but couldn’t do it for like a week if I remember right. Anyway they gave the parts and I did it my self.
Jacked the rear and spread the springs with 2 pry bars. Old spacers out, new in. Around a 1/2 hour.
Gas pedal the fix was was to cut the thing in half. This back when people were getting floor mats stuck on on the pedal and calling 911 for help. Being too stupid to reach down and pull the mat out of the way.
Some guys have good luck with Toyotas, others Chevy. Me, so far ford has been pretty good.
Service and repairs boil down to the dealer. Not corporate I believe.
None of the above give a shit about you or me.
The blind loyalty some have to a certain brand is comical.

Depending on your needs, Honda Ridgeline. I don't have one but have looked at one a friend has. I commute 54 miles one way so I have a Civic. One can make fun all they want and say it's not a truck. Given my experiences with Honda and all the stuff I hear of the big 3 and now Toyota if the Ridgeline fit my needs I'd have one in a heartbeat if I was after dependability.
Does your wife drive you around in it?

I own a 2011 F150 5.0 145k on it basically trouble free it’s been a good truck MPG kinda sucks usually below 15

I have a 2011 F250 4 door FX4 6.2 gasser I bought brand new and paid $34k out the door, and I figure that’ll be my last “new” truck. I just can’t see myself paying what they’re asking on new ones today. Mine has just shy of 225k on it, and I wouldn’t be afraid to leave right now on a cross country road trip. Mileage isn’t great, but I’m willing to sacrifice mileage for dependability.

Recall on the clutch/throw out bearing
Recall on the gas pedal getting stuck
Recall on the rear springs
Recall on the seat belts
And… the never ending frame rust Toyota was famous for and still somehow sold the shit out of Tacoma.
I got rid of it before the rust got bad.
The gas mileage was worse than my two 5.0 f 150s. My Tacoma was the 4.0, 6 speed, 2009 model.
The truck was a snap to work on. And it’s been well over a decade. It’s just the “bad things” nobody forgets
I am very interested in these new models though.
Very similar to my experience.
I've posted many times how Toyota responded to my leaf spring complaints with complete arrogance and dismissed me as crazy before they issued the recall, then told me to pound sand when I submitted a reimbursement with all receipts because I didn't have a dealer diagnosis of the problem.
Toyota is a joke if you really want a truck.
I will say the resale of my rusted-frame Tacoma was way higher than it should have been.
I feel sorry for the sucker that bought it because his buddies told him they never have problems.

Biggest thing I am surprised by is how little many of you guys drive your trucks! 5-10yr old trucks with less than 100K? I'm around 25-20k a year and don't feel I even drive that much.
Honestly I've been thinking the same thing. I drive about 35-40k miles per year on average. I buy a truck with a six year loan, knowing it'll be time for a new one when it gets paid off. I'm reimbursed for my payments through work so not issue with carrying the loan fortunately. But I do get a bit of a chuckle when I read about how reliable someones vehicle is after ten years of ownership and 60-70k miles.

+1 @IW17 & @WCB - You other guys ought to drive your trucks - No garage queens here...
2013 F150 gen-1 EB.
300K miles (including the Cov19 home-office phase).
I'm pretty sure the sales guy was trained to say "Only 300?"
It's still cheaper to repair than to replace but I've only got one vehicle and I'm tired of only driving it 5 weeks out of 6.
The depreciation curve on trucks is pretty much a straight line, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy used.

If you're wanting a Tundra, I would look at the 17 - 18 models. All my buddies own Tundras and they do not recommend the newer models.

+1 @IW17 & @WCB - You other guys ought to drive your trucks - No garage queens here...
2013 F150 gen-1 EB.
300K miles (including the Cov19 home-office phase).
I'm pretty sure the sales guy was trained to say "Only 300?"
It's still cheaper to repair than to replace but I've only got one vehicle and I'm tired of only driving it 5 weeks out of 6.
The depreciation curve on trucks is pretty much a straight line, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy used.
Definitely cheaper to repair than replace normally. Unfortunately I live in ohio, and our road crews SOP is to salt or brine the roads if there's even snow in the forecast. Our vehicles rot before the motor or tranny dies.

Back