New Truck--Dependability

It can’t be emphasized enough about the fuel mileage regulations leading to reliability problems. Everything is thinner, weaker, more compact, more plastic etc to save weight. Engines, transmissions, drivetrains, software have become very complex to squeeze out every last drop of fuel mileage. Regulations come so fast and so often it’s a wonder trucks run at all. Not to mention they are rolling computers so factor that in as well. And all of that accounts for the ridiculous prices too.
This cannot be overstated.

Yes, anyone can get a lemon… but I wonder how many of those horror stories are not lemon related but related to modifications? Take any midsize truck for example - there are guys that buy them and immediately lift/massive tires/offsets.

Why does that matter you ask?

Going back to what you said - these vehicles are engineered with fuel economy in mind. Everything is weaker as a result. They weren’t designed with massive tires in mind. They weren’t designed with a lift in mind. Just because the owners manual says you can tow 7000lb doesn’t mean you should do it all the time(and honestly, how many people buy a 6000lb dry camper and think “okay cool I can tow this”).

Add in the fact that oil change intervals are being stretched to the limits… and newsflash, most people aren’t as good as keeping maintenance current as they like to say they are. Okay cool so you did your oil changes on time - but what about the time you let it go an extra 500-1000 miles because you couldn’t get a spare moment? On an interval that’s already too long it’s like icing on the cake. How many people do their oil changes on time but nothing else? What about that tranny service? Differentials? Transfer case?

Oh, let me hit you with another one - a lot of people operate under “severe duty” which has an entirely different maintenance schedule with most manufacturers.

Just some food for thought from someone who wrenches for a living.

This cannot be overstated.

Yes, anyone can get a lemon… but I wonder how many of those horror stories are not lemon related but related to modifications? Take any midsize truck for example - there are guys that buy them and immediately lift/massive tires/offsets.

Why does that matter you ask?

Going back to what you said - these vehicles are engineered with fuel economy in mind. Everything is weaker as a result. They weren’t designed with massive tires in mind. They weren’t designed with a lift in mind. Just because the owners manual says you can tow 7000lb doesn’t mean you should do it all the time(and honestly, how many people buy a 6000lb dry camper and think “okay cool I can tow this”).

Add in the fact that oil change intervals are being stretched to the limits… and newsflash, most people aren’t as good as keeping maintenance current as they like to say they are. Okay cool so you did your oil changes on time - but what about the time you let it go an extra 500-1000 miles because you couldn’t get a spare moment? On an interval that’s already too long it’s like icing on the cake. How many people do their oil changes on time but nothing else? What about that tranny service? Differentials? Transfer case?

Oh, let me hit you with another one - a lot of people operate under “severe duty” which has an entirely different maintenance schedule with most manufacturers.

Just some food for thought from someone who wrenches for a living.
Mods are almost always going to help find the weakest link.
I laugh when all these people talk about Toyota reliability... You have to look hard to find a Toyota that hasn't had mods to address the weaknesses and then when you look at the wheel/tire size and offsets some of these Bros are running, they're timebombs.
Modern metallurgy, lubricants and materials science has gifted us some of the longest lasting products in history.
Why not go back 40 years to a Chevy 454 with 190 HP and an engine that might last 100k if the rust didn't do it in before that?
I read old Hotrodder magazine performance tests...Dodge 440-sixpack did 0-60 in over 6 seconds and it was considered a monster.
An F150 Ecoboost would embarrass it at the strip.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I laugh when all these people talk about Toyota reliability... You have to look hard to find a Toyota that hasn't had mods to address the weaknesses and then when you look at the wheel/tire size and offsets some of these Bros are running, they're timebombs.
If you don't think Toyotas are reliable, either you have terrible luck or it's a you issue. I own and have built and daily driven multiple Toyotas for over 15 years, and they are by far less maintenance intensive than the other mid size gas trucks out there. If they do have a weak link, it's usually not catastrophic or too labor intensive to fix. There is a plethora of 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas out there with over 400k miles on them still going strong.

tony

WKR
I'd call those rotted out frames a weak link 😁

My Tacoma was by far the easiest vehicle to do maintenance or work on I've owned.

While I think Toyota makes generally reliable vehicles, I do agree with you on the bros with the time bombs. You see guys buy one of these, put a lift on it, massive tires(for its size), offsets and then slam a thousand pounds of overlanding bullshit on the back and roof that it carries around while they daily drive it.

Or you see the poor Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado squatted down carrying some obviously overweight camper somewhere. There’s zero chance I'm towing anything heavier than a pop up, modest sized boat or an ATV on a small trailer with a mid sized truck. I don’t care that they’re rated for 6000/7000lbs, they ain’t designed for it, and it sure seems like an easy number to juice to make your midsized “the most capable in class” or whatever garbage.

If you need to tow something like that, you really need a half ton. If you need to tow it often, you probably need a 3/4 ton.

WRO

WKR
Modern metallurgy, lubricants and materials science has gifted us some of the longest lasting products in history.
Why not go back 40 years to a Chevy 454 with 190 HP and an engine that might last 100k if the rust didn't do it in before that?
I read old Hotrodder magazine performance tests...Dodge 440-sixpack did 0-60 in over 6 seconds and it was considered a monster.

We get it I had a bad experience, that being said I’ve got near a million miles between 4 tacomas with my only issue that left me stranded was a starter at 260k on my 01. Most lifts you see are block lifts or AAL. In my extended family we currently have 6 Toyotas, 2 trucks, 3 ravs and an Avalon which all have been problem free. Compare that with my ford experience, they all go to shit by 100k Miles with electrical and motor problems. My 2010 f150 cost me more in repairs by 60k than all my Toyotas combined.

Harvey_NW

WKR
While I think Toyota makes generally reliable vehicles, I do agree with you on the bros with the time bombs. You see guys buy one of these, put a lift on it, massive tires(for its size), offsets and then slam a thousand pounds of overlanding bullshit on the back and roof that it carries around while they daily drive it.
If they were time bombs and actually had a high failure rate, they wouldn't be the rig of choice to outfit that way for decades, lol.

satchamo

WKR
I have a 21 f150 STX with a 5.0. It’s been bulletproof for me and can def recommend. It’s been out west on a few trips now.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a bad experience with leupold. They told me to kick rocks on a rangefinder. I’ll never buy another product they sell and I’ll never recommend them to anyone. So I get where you’re coming from. The reality it, just like mine, it was one experience. Every manufacturer has recalls, most (all) more than Toyota. Every manufacturer releases a vehicle and then makes tweaks every year. Every manufacturer has lemons. I believe if you take 100 2018 Toyota tundras vs 100 identical ford, ram and chevy, the 100 Toyotas will outperform its peers. Consumer reports and others will back that up as well.

MattB

WKR
I had a bad experience with leupold. They told me to kick rocks on a rangefinder. I’ll never buy another product they sell and I’ll never recommend them to anyone. So I get where you’re coming from. The reality it, just like mine, it was one experience. Every manufacturer has recalls, most (all) more than Toyota. Every manufacturer releases a vehicle and then makes tweaks every year. Every manufacturer has lemons. I believe if you take 100 2018 Toyota tundras vs 100 identical ford, ram and chevy, the 100 Toyotas will outperform its peers. Consumer reports and others will back that up as well.
So, sample sizes of one are bad?

If they were time bombs and actually had a high failure rate, they wouldn't be the rig of choice to outfit that way for decades, lol.
They’re bought for looks, styling…a statement.
I live in Montana and I NEVER see Toyotas doing work.
They’re the ones with bright amber fogs in traffic with traction boards on display.

manitou1

WKR
If you don't think Toyotas are reliable, either you have terrible luck or it's a you issue. I own and have built and daily driven multiple Toyotas for over 15 years, and they are by far less maintenance intensive than the other mid size gas trucks out there. If they do have a weak link, it's usually not catastrophic or too labor intensive to fix. There is a plethora of 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas out there with over 400k miles on them still going strong.
Yeah, agreed.
Between my wife and I we have owned about nine Toyotas over the past 30 years and have yet to have one in the shop.

I had a Ram 1500 that was trouble free for over 100K miles. Not even a brake job.

My last Silverado 1500 was a disappointment in comparison.

We get lucky with some and some we don't.

manitou1

WKR
Huh, every ranch I hunt on seems to have a couple. Most of the hunting guides I know run Toyotas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see loads of Toyotas here in Wyoming. Four-Runners, Tacomas and Tundras. Even have rancher friends that use them daily for their routes. And yes, a lot of guides use them here too.

Of course, the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks prevail when they are hauling stock trailers.

I have owned a lot of 4x4 trucks in my life and have never had any perform off road in the muck and snow like Tacomas and FJs.

I wasn't born a Toyota fan boy, but they sure earned my respect over the years.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So, sample sizes of one are bad?
Not necessarily. For me, if it's the first time I've tried a particular brand/product and it has issues......that's a problem, and that sticks with me. That's a sample size of one, and I may never try that brand again.....even though the next 10 may be perfect. If I start with 10 that are perfect and then have one lemon, I'm probably still going to try another. So it depends where those lemons fall in the order of things.

For me, if a vehicle makes it to 20+ years......it's reliable. If it doesn't make it to 20+......that's the reason I got rid of it.