Newberg says a $40 elk tag (or whatever it cost) is a $25,000 elk tag for residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojave

WKR

He's right. We all take a huge pay cut, and have mountain ski town expenses in places that are not. Quit complaining about the cost of your elk tags, we are paying $20-40,000 more a year to live here than you are in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida or damn near anywhere outside of big cities.

It's a valid point. A buddy I graduated with (same degree, essentially identical careers) paid 185k for a decent house on about an acre in Iowa. Awesome whitetail hunting literally from his back deck.
I'd pay about 500k or more for the same here in Colorado, and our salaries are within 5k of each other.
That's not the reason for the price difference, but the lifestyle here is expensive.
We could give the NRs cheap tags but keep them in the limited quota. Draw odds will change their minds about cost in a hurry.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

satchamo

WKR

He's right. We all take a huge pay cut, and have mountain ski town expenses in places that are not. Quit complaining about the cost of your elk tags, we are paying $20-40,000 more a year to live here than you are in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida or damn near anywhere outside of big cities.

Well, move? Isn’t that what you’d tell us non res guys

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you’re trolling me.
I’m supposed to feel bad for you because you’re living on vacation?
Move to a place where your services are needed like everybody else.

Ok, but put the shoe on the other foot....

Are we supposed to feel bad for non residents because they don't want to deal with living somewhere that the hunting is actually good?

Broomd

WKR
Moved here 18 years ago this year, 21 miles of gravel--still unpaved--still don't have cell service.
Still drive 60 minutes round trip for a gallon of milk or gallon of gas.
Complaining? Hell no, it's just the price of peace and quiet and being in a target-rich environment.
The 'x' factor is just how bad urban America has morally, criminally and socially decayed. Hard to even quantify that.

jayhawk

WKR
It’s a good point. Every place has a cost to live there. Some more than others.
Great weather? Demand/cost goes up. Easy access to outdoor recreation? Demand/cost goes up. Great hunting and fishing? Demand/cost goes up.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a good point. Every place has a cost to live there. Some more than others.
Great weather? Demand/cost goes up. Easy access to outdoor recreation? Demand/cost goes up. Great hunting and fishing? Demand/cost goes up.
I took a $25,000 pay cut to buy this Escalade bro.
I could’ve just bought a Jetta, but I deserve to live in luxury.

Traveler

WKR

Quit complaining about the cost of your elk tags, we are paying $20-40,000 more a year to live here than you are in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida or damn near anywhere outside of big cities.
Can you show where you're getting data that justifies a broad brush stroke to say that residents on average are paying $20-40k a year more than neighboring flat states? Thats where the majority of NR's are coming from. Or is that just your financial situation?

Ucsdryder

WKR
This is called your personal choice.
This might surprise you, but the wind blows in Illinois too

Dang, the butt hurt is hard with this one….

I refuse to give Newberg a listen and boost his hits, but I believe the argument is in response to NR that complain their tag is 700 and a resident tag is 40. It’s really expensive to live in Colorado vs most other states, so you’re way better off paying an extra 660 dollars in tag vs buying a house, paying taxes, etc in Colorado.

Rarely is the debate about whether residents should get preference, but how much. I'm generally fine with the R/NR allocation in all the western states that I'm a NR. That doesn't mean I don't think CO has historically been a little over generous with NR tags, a lot of WY residents are on the verge of "greedy", or that any MT resident who complains about NR but also cant stomach the idea of paying more than the price of a mcdonalds meal for a big game tag is worthy of ridicule.

Last edited:

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, the butt hurt is hard with this one….

I refuse to give Newberg a listen and boost his hits, but I believe the argument is in response to NR that complain their tag is 700 and a resident tag is 40. It’s really expensive to live in Colorado vs most other states, so you’re way better off paying an extra 660 dollars in tag vs buying a house, paying taxes, etc in Colorado.
I’m not 100% up to speed on residency requirements in co, but what if someone worked seasonally as a ski lift operator and a raft guide and lived in employee housing?
After a certain amount of time are they considered a resident?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m not 100% up to speed on residency requirements in co, but what if someone worked seasonally as a ski lift operator and a raft guide and lived in employee housing?
I know they’re all over residency requirements. I’ve found it before but they have a list of requirements.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Found this…

Status
Not open for further replies.