Newbie from upstate SC

Moultrie

FNG
Good afternoon. I'm new to the forum and new-ish to deer hunting. I hunted a half dozen times or so back during, and just after, college when my dad was in a club, but never saw a deer and got bored with it pretty quick. That was in 2011 or so when I quit. Last year I decided I wanted to give it another go now that I'm older. The idea of providing venison for my family and learning the necessary skills to hunt and bag a deer got me fired up to give it another go. My dad also wants to start again. He's had me on the prowl for a good lease or good club to join.

I knew a few guys at work were avid deer hunters, so mentioned it to them earlier this year. They both offered to take me this season. As the season approached, I scheduled a time to go with one of them during the third week of rifle season. I met him early on the morning of Oct. 27th and followed him to the land he hunts. He got me set up in one of the stands before daybreak and told me the few spots to keep my eyes on before going to another stand on the property.

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

Just after day break, I saw a doe about 150 yds away down in the bottom of the field I was overlooking. There's acorns down there that he told me attracts a lot of deer. I watched her for a bit through my scope (I quickly realized I need some binoculars). She wandered off into the woods away from me. About thirty minutes later I saw some movement in that same spot and watched what I thought was the same doe begin meandering through the field toward me. As it got closer I realized it was a button buck and decided to let it walk. However, I noticed it kept looking back towards the woods, so assumed there was something else there.

Sure enough, a group of four does started coming out of the woods. The five deer kept meandering through the field and grazing on clover. They slowly made their way to a spot directly in front of me on the far side of the field about 50 yds away. I had been waffling on whether or not to shoot one of the does. My primary goal was to get some venison, but I didn't want to end the hunt super early, as I was enjoying just being there and watching the deer. I'd be lying if I said a small part of me also wanted to wait on a buck.

IMG_5960.jpg

By this point the button buck had wandered up the hill and into the trees on my right, but the does stayed in front of me. I finally made up my mind to stop being greedy and take one of the does. As I was bringing my rifle up, I caught movement out of my left peripheral. I assumed it was the button buck coming back, but spared a glance and saw a deer with antlers! After taking a better look, I immediately decided he was my new target. He approached the does, who scattered into the edge of the woods and began eating where they had been. I took aim behind the shoulder and slightly higher, since I was elevated, and pulled the trigger. He immediately dropped like a rock. He kicked twice, and that was it.

72010383095__F0FFF3B0-7CB4-4316-87F7-AD60FF70ADA1.jpg

72010399859__41025BAC-872D-4ABD-80C0-1AFBFD190F85.jpg
I texted my coworker and told him I had a buck down. He told me to hang tight and wait for him. When he came out of the woods to my right, I got down, and we approached the deer. It turns out I had actually hit him high in the shoulder and got his spine. I was happy he dropped and died almost instantly, but was disappointed my shot didn't go where I intended it to.

IMG_2141.jpgIMG_5963.jpg

I think my coworker was more excited than I was. He was all grins. After taking a few photos, he walked me around to show me signs to look for and explain buck behavior a bit. We then loaded the buck up and took it to the processor. I've been enjoying the meat for the past couple of weeks and hope to get another before the end of the season. He and I are scheduled to go back out the day after Thanksgiving.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new SC member.

Eddie

P.S. You get the FNG ⭐ today for your intro story and pix.

P.P.S. Your coworker(s) gets a 🌟 for their kind and generous act to reintroduce you to hunting. A tip of the 🎩 to them from out west.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Congratulations! Great deer! Born and raised in upstate SC myself. Good luck on all your hunting adventures.

OP
Moultrie

Moultrie

FNG
Thank you all. It was definitely a day I'll never forget. It's safe to say I'm hooked.

fwafwow

WKR
Congrats and welcome to RS! Is Moultrie your real name? Obviously famous in the entire state going back a long ways!