Newbie help

Hey guys, newbie with some questions. A couple buddy’s and I are headed to western Nebraska for the rifle season chasing mulies. This will be all of our first time out west. What kind of terrain should we be looking for to find likely spots? And what should we be looking for when escouting? Thanks for any replys!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
It depends a lot on where you're going. Northwest in the Pine Ridge by Chadron deep canyons heavily treed South of that Crescent Lake East of Alliance, rolling Sandhills lack of trees. Nebraska terrain changes a lot and don't judge it from I-80 because it's a lot different 50 miles north of that. If it's rifle season you should be looking for the lack of orange because Nebraska public land gets hit hard during the 9 day rifle season. Rifle is in the middle of the rut a dumb way to manage deer IMO but it's the way it's done deer are on the move looking for hot does.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
Can you narrow your search down a little bit more than west? Rifle here in NE can be a bit of a zoo.. but there are deer to be had.

OP
M
Can you narrow your search down a little bit more than west? Rifle here in NE can be a bit of a zoo.. but there are deer to be had.
I have it pretty narrowed down I believe. I just didn’t want to come on the forum saying refuge names and all in public. We will be staying around Chadron.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate that. You will be in a pretty decent area. There are big obvious spots That the masses will flock to in that area, those deer get pushed on to private quick. Best bet is to get out early and get off the road. Don't overlook small spots in that part of the state either.

This will be a challenging hunt. Pressure will be your biggest adversary. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you like, I have hunted the area a fair amount for antelope.

OP
M
I appreciate that. You will be in a pretty decent area. There are big obvious spots That the masses will flock to in that area, those deer get pushed on to private quick. Best bet is to get out early and get off the road. Don't overlook small spots in that part of the state either.

This will be a challenging hunt. Pressure will be your biggest adversary. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you like, I have hunted the area a fair amount for antelope.
I can’t pm yet. Would you mind pm’ing me your email or something?