Newbie rifle for North America

Hulions

FNG
Tikka t3x with a leupold vx3i is hard to beat For the price. $1100-1200 for glass and gun. 308 or 6.5 creedmor is cheaper and nicer to shoot. 3006 is a bit more crack to it for moose, elk or brown bear but adds recoil and ammo costs.

I agree with the above statement. I just got a Tikka T3x Lite in 308 with a Leupold VX3i 3-9x40 and it has quickly become my favorite rifle to take to the woods. This is saying a lot since I have gun hunted most of my life and have quite a few rifles to choose from.

If you go the Tikka route, I would suggest changing the bottom metal and adding a Limbsaver pad.

Clarence

WKR
Gonna go with a 308 Winchester model 70. I’m not just going for deer. Mostly elk, deer, bear, pronghorn, and maybe a caribou. Had a gentleman pm me actual ballistic data on the 3006 vs 308. There isn’t much difference at the ranges I’ll be at. Went 308 mainly being most familiar with it based on my military days. You can’t go wrong with either round it looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. I think you will be content with your choice.

I agree with the above statement. I just got a Tikka T3x Lite in 308 with a Leupold VX3i 3-9x40 and it has quickly become my favorite rifle to take to the woods. This is saying a lot since I have gun hunted most of my life and have quite a few rifles to choose from.

If you go the Tikka route, I would suggest changing the bottom metal and adding a Limbsaver pad.

+1 on the linpmbsaver.

What bottom metal do you like?

Rich M

WKR
“I got mine but took 2 shots from 243 to drop him - first was a high shoulder shot that hit 1 inch below the spine made it limp, second was a boiler room shot that brought him down. Why'd I use 243? Cause I had it and shoot it easier & better than my 3006. If I had my 3006 and same first shot, he'd have been DRT due to increased energy and penetration.”

Ummmm......no.

The first shot was a miss, and still would have been a miss with the 30-06.
You are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't match my experience with over 100 deer shot w 3006. No way that deer was still standing w that shot and a 3006.