Newbie thinking of building a pack

c.brown

FNG
Hoping to use all the knowledge on here to help me build a pack for an elk hunt next year. I'm on a pretty tight budget ($200) for packs and thinking I can make this work if I build it myself.

We're planning a 7-10 day back country elk hunt (will be our first). I'm thinking I could pick up a used frame and possibly a day pack and use a dry bag I already have to haul in camping gear. Figured I could leave the dry bag at camp and use the frame and day pack for hunting out from there a few miles.

Looking for any and all suggestions on how best to go about doing this and if you guys think it's a feasible way to get it done. I've never done a western hunt of any type, much less backpack hunting. We're planning hike several miles in to try and avoid as much hunting pressure as possible so I'd like something reasonably comfortable for long treks.

Thanks.

OP
C

c.brown

FNG
I'm considering the Horn Hunter Full Curl "Combo" which has the frame and a day pack. I like the idea of the wing pockets on the frame for extra gear and rifle carry but haven't been able to put my hands on one. Any thoughts on these or other options? Hoping something good shows up on the classifieds once the season ends. We'll see.

Dollar for dollar the Horn Hunter Full Curl system is outstanding. It was my first "real" pack system and worked great for the short time I used it. Lots of training (light and heavy) and just a couple of hunting trips. Luckily it fit me well and it carried 100# as well as it could. It's a super stiff frame, almost like strapping a 2x12 to your back, that supports heavy weight well. Construction seemed solid and it had some nice features built it.

The biggest downfall I found was weight (it's relatively heavy for a backcountry hunting frame pack) and the buckles didn't work with anything else on the planet.

After moving into a Kifaru duplex frame (which I wish I'd done a long time earlier in my pack searching) I understand the difference in a pack that works and a pack that works for me. After spending more time and money than I care to disclose....Saving weight (especially in the mtns), having a frame that's comfortable and moves with you (during light and heavy loads), and interoperability means more to me than saving a few dollars. (It will be worth the wait to save a few extra dollars for a Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or EXO mtn gear frame).

Your plan to grab a frame and run a day pack or dry bag on it is solid and lots of guys do that. Great way to get started and learn what you really want/need for the type of hunting you're gonna do. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Dollar for dollar the Horn Hunter Full Curl system is outstanding. It was my first "real" pack system and worked great for the short time I used it. Lots of training (light and heavy) and just a couple of hunting trips. Luckily it fit me well and it carried 100# as well as it could. It's a super stiff frame, almost like strapping a 2x12 to your back, that supports heavy weight well. Construction seemed solid and it had some nice features built it.

The biggest downfall I found was weight (it's relatively heavy for a backcountry hunting frame pack) and the buckles didn't work with anything else on the planet.

After moving into a Kifaru duplex frame (which I wish I'd done a long time earlier in my pack searching) I understand the difference in a pack that works and a pack that works for me. After spending more time and money than I care to disclose....Saving weight (especially in the mtns), having a frame that's comfortable and moves with you (during light and heavy loads), and interoperability means more to me than saving a few dollars. (It will be worth the wait to save a few extra dollars for a Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or EXO mtn gear frame).

Your plan to grab a frame and run a day pack or dry bag on it is solid and lots of guys do that. Great way to get started and learn what you really want/need for the type of hunting you're gonna do. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this 100%. Save the extra couple hundred bucks and buy a Kifaru frame or something similar. Once you have the frame, you will not regret it. Also, with a company like Kifaru, the versatility is basically unlimited when you mix/match bag combos. I use my frame for everything from workouts, day hunts, & elk hunts & I just swap bags/accessories as necessary. The initial cost is fairly high, but if you don't have to buy an entire new bag every time you want to change your setup, you'll be money ahead in the long term. Also, the resale of Kifaru stuff is pretty darn good, which is always nice.

OP
C

c.brown

FNG
Gents,
Thanks for the input. I have looked at Kifaru, SG, and EXO and read all the great comments about them from everyone on here. I would love to have one but I can't justify spending that amount for the use it will get for now. If/when I'm able to move out west and do this on a more regular basis I plan to upgrade to something higher-end. For now that extra couple hundred bucks is being saved to pay for gas to get out there and non-res license fees. Now if one of those pops up on the classifieds that approaches my price point... well, a boy can dream.
Thanks again.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is an Alaskan guide frame from cabelas. I keep one around as a loaner because it has a good shelf and harness built in that makes it easy to strap a daypack, dry bag or just about anything else to. You should be able to get one easily in your budget and it has a decent waist belt with power pulls and good load lifters.

A good backpacking pack can be had for less than $200 new. I've put loads up to 60 pounds in a Deuter and it rides fine.

aion2come

WKR
You can always look at the REI xt85 or a used ilbe pack. However, what I would do is grab a used Exo or Kifaru frame (you can find them for a good deal) and then you can sew your own pack or just get a couple waterproof stuff sacks and you are set.. The truth is, by the time you get all the material, quality buckles and straps, a quality sewing machine, etc to sew your own... I don't know how much you would save on your first pack.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
A good backpacking pack can be had for less than $200 new. I've put loads up to 60 pounds in a Deuter and it rides fine.

^^^This, look on some backpacking forums and browse their classifieds. There are some super bomber backpacking packs that will do the same as some of these hunting packs. Look for a Arc'teryx Bora 65 or 80 liter. I carry the 65 and have had it for 6 years and it just keeps getting better. Use it from weekend trips to 10+ day trips, and once for 21 days in Alaska.

mwolters

FNG
I was in a similar situation last year. I live in Michigan, and went on my first "out West" hunt. DIY elk, public land CO. I used my old Lowe Alpine pack (around 4000ci with minimal padding and frame structure), spray painted camo colors to break up the pattern. I spent my money on more important things, like a good rangefinder, appropriate clothes for active hunting in that geography, etc. I just cinched everything down and wore the pack all day, every day. When I packed out an elk, I boned out the meat and probably never carried more than 80lbs, which was uncomfortable but doable, and I didn't regret the decision for my first trip, to learn more about what I wanted. I bought a Kifaru ultralight duplex frame on Father's Day. I ran a 65liter usmc dry bag on the frame during the summer, while watching eBay and forums for a bag. Due to high resale, I never found a deal that justices buying used, so last night I jumped on the Black Friday sale, and close out section and bought an Argali bag and Guide lid for less than anything I have seen used. I think your best bet is to buy a quality "backpacker's" pack off eBay or Craigslist, for less than $100, and after your first hunt you will have a better idea of what's a priority for your next purchase.

mwolters

FNG
If your dry bag isn't big enough, you can search eBay with terms like "usmc dry bag" "ilbe bag" etc, you can usually pick up good condition 65L surplus bags for around $30 shipped. They're heavy duty for their weight, and work well.

IdahoElk

WKR
Another option is an Alaskan guide frame from cabelas. I keep one around as a loaner because it has a good shelf and harness built in that makes it easy to strap a daypack, dry bag or just about anything else to. You should be able to get one easily in your budget and it has a decent waist belt with power pulls and good load lifters.

Happily packed out many Elk with this Cabela's frame before I ever heard of Kifaru and the rest,still use it!

OP
C

c.brown

FNG
Thanks for all the responses. Think I'm going to give the Alaskan Outfitter from Cabela's a shot. It's on sale for $90 right now. Hard to pass up.

If I wanted to stay in your budget I would hit up eBay for a marine FILBE and some good shoulder straps or a used Dana design terralpane. Both could handle 7-10 days and will last forever. I would give a comfort edge to the terraplane and durability to the filbe.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Threads like this remind me how great you guys are to help newbies. I can think of some sites where this post would attract a bunch a "shouldn't be in the mountains unless you use brand x which is what I use you whipper snapper. I pack 'em out whole and until you can do the same, stay out of MY woods and work on your golf game". Ha ha. Seriously. Thanks all.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
First year I bought a used kifaru frame and built a pack bag for it and used it for 2 years. I've upgraded to a new frame and emr2 but the old bag still has some life in it and you're welcome to it if you want it. You can pick up the older model duplex for pretty reasonable and IMO they are actually superior in some ways to the newer ones. Don't worry too much about getting the best, just get out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They have the slumber jack bounty 4500 on Amazon in mandrake for around 130.00. It's no kifRu but I have one and for the price I think it's a decent starter pack. I haven't lugged a ton of weight with it but it's pretty comfy for me. Granted my experience with other packs is limited. I was wanting an Exo but I couldn't justify 600 bucks for the amount I would use it and 99% of the time I'll be packing white tails out of the blue ridge mountains, not elk out of the Rockies.