Newfoundland Moose hunters 2023 success

boneshed

FNG
Hello everyone, heading to Newfoundland moose hunting this fall [2024] just wondering how the success was for the guys that went last year [2023]. I have been reading a lot of material saying numbers of animals are way down and success rates are plummeting. This is a fly in not a road hunt maybe that will make the difference? Just looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance..

I was there the week that the hurricane hit for a fly-in hunt. Lost 2 days of hunting time and hung out in a hotel due to the weather. Shot a great bull in short order though. Other guy in camp missed a good bull on the 2nd day and then killed one after 4 days of hunting. The two guys we flew in with both killed great bulls as well out of a camp about 4/5 miles away. Had a great time and just paid our deposits for 2025.

OP
B

boneshed

FNG
That's awesome. Who did you hunt with? Seems some units are holding steady and some are being over hunted. I've been trying to locate a population by unit update but only 1 I can find is 4 years old.

Ogemaone

FNG
I hunted with Big River the week of September 17. Killed the bull in avatar first day. F you have any questions I would be glad to answer. Great experience! What camp are you going too? I’m going back this year with my son.

OP
B

boneshed

FNG
Bull in avatar? We are going to the big lake camp in 39 39A if it's completed. I guess it hasn't been hunted in a few years. No atv or helicopter to haul animal out all on our backs. I didn't get that info until after I booked. That has me a bit nervous. Only 1 guide for me and my son I over looked that question as well prior to booking. Better lose some weight start hiking I guess.lol.

Ogemaone

FNG
Bull in avatar? We are going to the big lake camp in 39 39A if it's completed. I guess it hasn't been hunted in a few years. No atv or helicopter to haul animal out all on our backs. I didn't get that info until after I booked. That has me a bit nervous. Only 1 guide for me and my son I over looked that question as well prior to booking. Better lose some weight start hiking I guess.lol.
I am going the first week to this camp this year. Should be great hunting. I was at the middle lake camp last year.

OP
B

boneshed

FNG
Did u fly last year? Have tons of questions. I'll figure out private messenger function and send you stuff there.

Hunted in NF in early October. We heard from the guides and locals that moose numbers were way down, they blamed the Fish & Wildlife for putting out too many tags in the area. I've not moose hunted before, but we did not see all that many moose. Had some days we didn't see one, others were we saw a few and others we saw 6-8. We did not hunt in a wilderness area, but did get farther off the beaten path via ATV and then on foot. From what I saw, the majority of the locals are just looking for any legal moose and are usually road hunting.

On the 4th day of a 6 day hunt, we had three bulls and some cows together, I had a rangefinder malfunction and held for a 30 yard shot on a 55 yard moose...shot under it. That was a good size bull. Actually called him back in, but he never presented a broadside shot. On the last day, I borrowed a rifle and ended up shooting a 4 point moose.

Everyone in our camp was successful with 3 guys taking very good moose, 1 guy shooting a mediocre bull and two of us shooting dinks ( the locals actually prefer a 4 point bull over anything else due to eating quality ). My guide was excellent and worked his ass off.

Word of warning....buy some fitted lacrosse rubber boots made for hiking. That whole island is like a sponge, even the rocks are soggy. My Kennetrek mountain extremes performed admirably but did take on water 1 of the days.

OP
B

boneshed

FNG
I bought 2 different pair of Lacrosse hoping that will work. How did you get your moose home?

There was a meat market/processing facility in New Foundland that packaged and shipped it to a USDA facility in Tulsa, where it was Fedexed to our area.