Newfoundland Moose hunters 2023 success

boneshed

FNG
Hello everyone, heading to Newfoundland moose hunting this fall [2024] just wondering how the success was for the guys that went last year [2023]. I have been reading a lot of material saying numbers of animals are way down and success rates are plummeting. This is a fly in not a road hunt maybe that will make the difference? Just looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance..

Hello everyone, heading to Newfoundland moose hunting this fall [2024] just wondering how the success was for the guys that went last year [2023]. I have been reading a lot of material saying numbers of animals are way down and success rates are plummeting. This is a fly in not a road hunt maybe that will make the difference? Just looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance..
Who are you hunting with and dates. I'll be up there Oct 4-11. Outfitter said all 9 of his hunters at his trophy camps shot nice moose this past season. Looking forward to getting there

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
B

boneshed

FNG
Hunt dates September 30th thru October 5th. Hope it's not too early.. Hunting with Big River Camps.

Boston1

FNG
Had my first moose hunt last fall. I chose the fly-in because many forums indicate higher success rates when you're not competing with all the road hunters from town. We saw moose everyday and this was right after the hurricane with a lot of wind, fog and rain. It wasn't easy. We had to work for it but we got er done. The fly-in hunt will cost a little more but you'll be thankful for the investment and you'll have a great trip. Have fun!

Had my first moose hunt last fall. I chose the fly-in because many forums indicate higher success rates when you're not competing with all the road hunters from town. We saw moose everyday and this was right after the hurricane with a lot of wind, fog and rain. It wasn't easy. We had to work for it but we got er done. The fly-in hunt will cost a little more but you'll be thankful for the investment and you'll have a great trip. Have fun!
I was up there in 2022 and again in 2023 first year got a smaller bull 4 pt that was at a drive in lodge this past year I went on a fly in with dadg seen lots of moose and got a 10 pt going again in 2024 with dadg this past year I saw 28 moose and couldn't hunt for 2 days because of the hurricane

I was up there in 2022 and again in 2023 first year got a smaller bull 4 pt that was at a drive in lodge this past year I went on a fly in with dadg seen lots of moose and got a 10 pt going again in 2024 with dadg this past year I saw 28 moose and couldn't hunt for 2 days because of the hurricane
Sent you a PM

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Went with Ironwood Sept 28 2023. Both my friend and I got bulls. Nothing huge, but we had a lot of fun. Beautiful country, people were nice. We saw one really nice bull across a river. My guide wouldn't entertain crossing it to get to the bull. 90-95% of the guys got bulls when I was there. Not sure how they did after we left. We didn't get overrun with moose during the hunt, but saw some most every day. Hunted hard. Remote country. Fly in. Didn't see any other hunters during the hunt.

I was only going to do this hunt once but think I'm going to have to go back in 5 years or so. Next time I go I'm going to do a trophy hunt.

Attachments

• moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 30
  • moose 2.jpg
    moose 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 30

Boston1

FNG
We had nasty weather all week too but we hunted every day anyway. The wind and rain was bearable but the fog limited our visibility to 100 yards. We saw 1-2 moose daily. One afternoon the fog cleared long enough to see some big bulls at 2600 yards and we called one to within 600 yards before the fog rolled back in. The next morning we had a perfect day and called a 9 point to within 200 yards. I was ecstatic to take him. We had a great trip despite the weather and I've already signed up to go back again this fall. I plan to make it a yearly trip as long as I can.

I'm going with Douglas Lake Outfitters the beginning of October this year with a friend of mine whom has been before. My father did the lodge hunt with them this past October, and killed on day 2 after having a close encounter the first day. The warm weather made things slow, but I think everyone in camp killed except for 2 maybe that missed/had opportunities. I know of a few people that were hunting elsewhere there and everyone killed moose. It doesn't sound like the numbers are hurting.

I'm going with Douglas Lake Outfitters the beginning of October this year with a friend of mine whom has been before. My father did the lodge hunt with them this past October, and killed on day 2 after having a close encounter the first day. The warm weather made things slow, but I think everyone in camp killed except for 2 maybe that missed/had opportunities. I know of a few people that were hunting elsewhere there and everyone killed moose. It doesn't sound like the numbers are hurting.
What week in October did your dad hunt. How was the rut activity when he was there. My hunt starts the 4th of Oct. Hoping to hit a good rut week and good activity with the new moon on the 2nd

What week in October did your dad hunt. How was the rut activity when he was there. My hunt starts the 4th of Oct. Hoping to hit a good rut week and good activity with the new moon on the 2nd

They were there the last week of September this past year. They called both bulls in that they encountered. It was slow up to that point, but the guide was expecting things to pick up the following week. It sounds like you should be in good shape starting the 4th. Hopefully it isn't warm. I'm debating whether to take my bow along and see if we get a close opportunity. Both of the bulls Dad encountered were in bow range, but a friend of a friend shot his at 800+ yards at the same time, but they were with another outfitter.

They were there the last week of September this past year. They called both bulls in that they encountered. It was slow up to that point, but the guide was expecting things to pick up the following week. It sounds like you should be in good shape starting the 4th. Hopefully it isn't warm. I'm debating whether to take my bow along and see if we get a close opportunity. Both of the bulls Dad encountered were in bow range, but a friend of a friend shot his at 800+ yards at the same time, but they were with another outfitter.
Very good. I was suppose to be up end of Sept into early October but the outfitter wanted to switch fly days to Friday due to backlog of hunters on the typical Sunday change day. That we he has the plane to himself which makes sense and I was more than ok with. Looks like there will be alot of roksliders up there this year so hope to hear some rmgood reports

TeeKay13

FNG
I live in Newfoundland. Hunted 3 days this year and seen 13 moose. Numbers aren’t down. A good guide will put you on the animal you are looking for. Best of luck and enjoy your time in our beautiful province.

kiyooga

FNG
Very good. I was suppose to be up end of Sept into early October but the outfitter wanted to switch fly days to Friday due to backlog of hunters on the typical Sunday change day. That we he has the plane to himself which makes sense and I was more than ok with. Looks like there will be alot of roksliders up there this year so hope to hear some rmgood reports

I'm looking to book a 2025 hunt and have been reading a lot of the posts. There are so many outfitters it makes your head spin. Jumping from websites for hours on end. Noticed your from WI. I live just south of Appleton. Good luck on your hunt and maybe we can touch bases.

I'm looking to book a 2025 hunt and have been reading a lot of the posts. There are so many outfitters it makes your head spin. Jumping from websites for hours on end. Noticed your from WI. I live just south of Appleton. Good luck on your hunt and maybe we can touch bases.
Thanks! Ya it's always tricky picking the right one. Just go with your gut feeling and it will work out. I'm right in Sherwood so we can't be too far apart

I’ll throw a recommendation out there.
I went this past season with Effords on one of their fly in hunts. Great hunt. He runs a good operation with knowledgeable guides on good ground. Rebooked for 2025. Even two years out there weren’t a lot of dates available. Don’t procrastinate on getting something tied down. When I booked for this past seasons hunt it was a two year wait then as well.

IMO, the extra money for a fly in hunt is well worth it if you aren’t just going for the meat.

kiyooga

FNG
Small world. I started at KFD in 1979. Went to AFD in 1983. Some good memories in Kaukauna.