NF ATACR 4-16 vs Leupold VX6-HD

FtMillVol

FNG
Looking for thoughts and experience with these two. It would be going on a semi-custom Tikka T3x 7mm PRC primarily used for hunting, but I also do a good bit of range shooting out to 600 yds(I live in the southeast so ranges aren’t the longest). I tend to whitetail hunt fields with shots out to 400 yds, but also hunt in timber so I don’t want to go over 4x for the minimum power. I will be taking this setup to NZ next year for Red Stag and Wipea as well as some future trips out west. Any advice is appreciated

OP
F

FtMillVol

FNG
Sorry, first post. I didn’t see any threads directly comparing these two. On the NF side I’m also torn on FFP vs SFP. I have a Vortex Razor Gen III 1-10 that is basically a red dot at lowest power and I’m wondering if the NF FFP would be easily useable on the lower powers. Magnified I have no doubt it’s awesome.

I’ve been looking at the forums recently as well as a newbe. From what everyone has said it looks like the atacr is highly regarded and the chief downside is the weight. I have no personal experience just regurgitating what I’ve read on here.

OP
F

FtMillVol

FNG
That's what I'm gathering. The weight is significant. I'll just have to add up all the other parts I'm planning to see where it ends up. I'd like to keep the rifle under 10lbs.

Weight is the only downside, if that’s a deal breaker a nx8 would work as well. Optically the atacr will be better but reliability will be equal.

I don't think there's a universe where the V6 wins that.

9d2

VX6 comes with lame reticle configurations and all MOA. The elevation turret on the 4-16x42 ATACR is awesome, glass will be about on par, and it has mil options. The only thing I didn’t like about them (I’ve had 4-5 of them) is the rotating ocular and the caps you have to use because of it. The tenebrax they come with are the only option that work well so you can rotate them out of the way easily and those stupid little plastic rings crack frequently and then fall off.

I’d look at the new MK4HD 4.5-18. It’s more comparable to the ATACR and a little lighter.

LightFoot

WKR
VX6 comes with lame reticle configurations and all MOA. The elevation turret on the 4-16x42 ATACR is awesome, glass will be about on par, and it has mil options. The only thing I didn’t like about them (I’ve had 4-5 of them) is the rotating ocular and the caps you have to use because of it. The tenebrax they come with are the only option that work well so you can rotate them out of the way easily and those stupid little plastic rings crack frequently and then fall off.

I’d look at the new MK4HD 4.5-18. It’s more comparable to the ATACR and a little lighter.

I think the Leupold Mark 4HD would check a lot of boxes and looks like a great scope… on paper. For me, the biggest difference in the NF and Leupold (across all models) is the durability (ability to hold and return to zero).

For a rifle that hunts from a stand or blind all its life and is not at any real risk of being banged up, the Leupold is an awesome scope.

I agree with you about the ATACR ocular.

>>>——JAKE——>

Personally I'd go NX8 over ATACR. Glass isn't much better on my ATACR and I hate the rear zoom/eyepiece design. For hunting it effectively prevents you from running the lens cap.

I had a VX-6HD and loved the glass/fit/finish over my 3 Nightforce. But I sold it based on potential reliability issues. I never had issues but I didn't want to miss my BOAL because of an unknown zero shift....

I'll be selling my lightly used 5-25 ATACR to go NX8 soon.

I think the Leupold Mark 4HD would check a lot of boxes and looks like a great scope… on paper. For me, the biggest difference in the NF and Leupold (across all models) is the durability (ability to hold and return to zero).

For a rifle that hunts from a stand or blind all its life and is not at any real risk of being banged up, the Leupold is an awesome scope.

I agree with you about the ATACR ocular.

>>>——JAKE——>

If they’re as reliable as the MK5 then they’ll be just as reliable as the NF. You can believe whatever you wish about NF and Leupold reliability though.

OP
F

FtMillVol

FNG
Personally I'd go NX8 over ATACR. Glass isn't much better on my ATACR and I hate the rear zoom/eyepiece design. For hunting it effectively prevents you from running the lens cap.

I had a VX-6HD and loved the glass/fit/finish over my 3 Nightforce. But I sold it based on potential reliability issues. I never had issues but I didn't want to miss my BOAL because of an unknown zero shift....

I'll be selling my lightly used 5-25 ATACR to go NX8 soon.
I saw that. It may not be a huge downside since I'm a lefty and it seems like it would rotate the cap away from the bolt.

OP
F

FtMillVol

FNG
Assuming I go the NF route is there any downside to the ATACR 4-20 over the 4-16 outside of weight and cost?

Amazing how on Rokslide FFP reticle scopes are almost always recommended to hunters. FFP reticles are virtually useless in low light against a dark background when at low power. Low power has the largest exit pupil and widest FOV which is optimal for hunting. You can have a ZCO but when its 5 minutes till legal ends and you are trying to shoot a deer at 4x and you have to use the battery to illuminate your reticle so you can see to shoot? Hard pass.

OP I am going to recommend the Leupold VX6HD. Most importantly it is a 2nd focal plane reticle that is what you will want hanging out at 3-4x. I hunt in TN with a blend of woods and large ag fields. I've killed a lot of deer a couple minutes after legal light begins and right at dark. A good duplex or TMOA Leupold reticle is all you need instead of this MIL horseshit.

Also, the VX6HD is going to be much lighter than the ATACR, which will benefit you on your NZL hunt if you're hiking. Leupold HD glass has best in class coatings so you will be able to shoot on a clear night if you want. Its sharp edge to edge and image pops in low light.

I went down this road before and bought a 3.8-18 Leupold Mark5HD with illuminated FFP MOA reticle. Amazing scope but sold it in less than a month. Sold it in August never even saw one hunt. When I couldn't see the reticle in low light out behind the house at 4x, down the road it went.

Flame away folks.

LightFoot

WKR
Amazing how on Rokslide FFP reticle scopes are almost always recommended to hunters. FFP reticles are virtually useless in low light against a dark background when at low power. Low power has the largest exit pupil and widest FOV which is optimal for hunting. You can have a ZCO but when its 5 minutes till legal ends and you are trying to shoot a deer at 4x and you have to use the battery to illuminate your reticle so you can see to shoot? Hard pass.

OP I am going to recommend the Leupold VX6HD. Most importantly it is a 2nd focal plane reticle that is what you will want hanging out at 3-4x. I hunt in TN with a blend of woods and large ag fields. I've killed a lot of deer a couple minutes after legal light begins and right at dark. A good duplex or TMOA Leupold reticle is all you need instead of this MIL horseshit.

Also, the VX6HD is going to be much lighter than the ATACR, which will benefit you on your NZL hunt if you're hiking. Leupold HD glass has best in class coatings so you will be able to shoot on a clear night if you want. Its sharp edge to edge and image pops in low light.

I went down this road before and bought a 3.8-18 Leupold Mark5HD with illuminated FFP MOA reticle. Amazing scope but sold it in less than a month. Sold it in August never even saw one hunt. When I couldn't see the reticle in low light out behind the house at 4x, down the road it went.

Flame away folks.

This is an excellent recommendation. Too often we think more like shooters and less like hunters. I’m guilty of this. That said, I have a VX6HD, but would hesitate to let it ride in a horse scabbard on a western big game hunt and then trust it to make a shot over 400 yards. This does not apply to 90% or more of hunters. I would however trust it for just about any whitetail hunt.

>>>——JAKE——>

WKR

WKR
Assuming I go the NF route is there any downside to the ATACR 4-20 over the 4-16 outside of weight and cost?
Elevation turret on the 4-16 has zero lock and is very low profile
Elevation on the 4-20 has a regular zero stop and is taller.

The zero lock and weight is what swayed me to the 4-16x42

Last edited: