NF SHV 3-10x40mm Q&A

Grundy53

WKR
Thanks for the eval. I have a couple of theses. I feel better about knowing it passed the drop test.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Ram94

WKR
Have you seen the tracking error with these in the past? I haven’t noticed that with mine, granted I’ve not tested for it specifically and only shoot 600 yards and in, but it’s been spot on.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you seen the tracking error with these in the past? I haven’t noticed that with mine, granted I’ve not tested for it specifically and only shoot 600 yards and in, but it’s been spot on.

No. However, must of my use has been in the 400-500 yard range where it would be hard to tell. I will redo the adjustment part as 6% is more than I have seen.

It actually matches up almost perfectly with .25” per click at 100 yards.

Would there be any concerns with leaving the elevation turret cover off “permanently”?

Also, could you take a picture of the lens caps covers? I know that’s silly, but I’ve wanted some of this scope covers for a while and never have seen them in the wild.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Any thoughts on how this would compare to the NXS 2.5-10? My research shows its the same glass as the SHV. But I can't say anything about the internals. Different elevation dial too.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to buy another scope, preferably one that functions and acts like a scope should. My experience has always been with second focal plane scopes that are a clean duplex or target dot reticle. Think 2-7, 3-9, 2-10, or straight 10x leupold type of scopes. I’m somewhat nervous about stepping outside my comfort zone. The next scope is not going to be a leupold though. The scope is going to go on a 280 Remington and will be zeroed at 200 meters with the ability to dial out to 400 meters, or a reticle that makes 400 meters easy.

Our local range has paper boards to 400 meters and steel at 500meters. If I want to shoot at something out to 400meters it will be dead, beyond that I’m probably not shooting at game. The vast majority of our hunting is less than 100 yard stuff. However we hunt farm country sometimes and head west occasionally. Mountain laurel patches and hemlock groves mostly mixed with the chance for a “long” 300 yard shot when we hunt at the farm. Everyone knows what the west looks like.

I live near Euro Optic and have looked one of these scopes over. It is in the running for my next optic purchase. The 2 power setting and illumination appeals to the close range stuff while the 10 power end appeals for plinking and smelling powder at the range. For those with experience how will it be for the use mentioned above?

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to buy another scope, preferably one that functions and acts like a scope should. My experience has always been with second focal plane scopes that are a clean duplex or target dot reticle. Think 2-7, 3-9, 2-10, or straight 10x leupold type of scopes. I’m somewhat nervous about stepping outside my comfort zone. The next scope is not going to be a leupold though. The scope is going to go on a 280 Remington and will be zeroed at 200 meters with the ability to dial out to 400 meters, or a reticle that makes 400 meters easy.

Our local range has paper boards to 400 meters and steel at 500meters. If I want to shoot at something out to 400meters it will be dead, beyond that I’m probably not shooting at game. The vast majority of our hunting is less than 100 yard stuff. However we hunt farm country sometimes and head west occasionally. Mountain laurel patches and hemlock groves mostly mixed with the chance for a “long” 300 yard shot when we hunt at the farm. Everyone knows what the west looks like.

I live near Euro Optic and have looked one of these scopes over. It is in the running for my next optic purchase. The 2 power setting and illumination appeals to the close range stuff while the 10 power end appeals for plinking and smelling powder at the range. For those with experience how will it be for the use mentioned above?
I actually bought the SHV 3-10 a couple weeks before Form posted the eval. I was deciding between the Credo 2.5-15, the NXS 2-10 and this. I was a long time leupold guy for how cheap I could get them, but a recent failure on one of my scopes left a sour taste in my mouth.

Reticle and zero stop are probably the worst parts of the scope. I have the MOAR reticle and wish the center was a little more defined for darker timber. The reticle does illuminate, but even then it seems its set up to be just bright enough to see in the woods. Its nothing like the defined firedot from Leupold (which is awesome).

Dials are super crisp. Just wish it had a zero stop. Just have to be careful at the range when you are dialing a lot to make sure you remember where your zero index line/rotation is. One rotation is 10 MOA, which IMO is plenty for 99% of hunting scenarios.

You can buy the forceplex scope if you dont really plan to hold wind or want to dial it.

I would say if you want to spend extra, buy the NXS (little lighter, zero stop). Otherwise, the SHV has been great so far. I haven't put it through a season yet but at the range its been super consistent. I think 10x is great for big game at 500 yards/meters.

Last edited:

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Form, would you consider this scope to be a top candidate for 300 yard and in hunting? Or are there any better options? I'm looking for the most rugged scope I can get around the $1000 mark.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, would you consider this scope to be a top candidate for 300 yard and in hunting? Or are there any better options? I'm looking for the most rugged scope I can get around the $1000 mark.

All things considered, yes.