Nightforce atacr 4-16x42 vs NX8 4-32 for long range hunting

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Price difference aside which scope are you choosing and why for a long range hunting rifle? Magnification is obviously quite different, but these two scopes are within an ounce of each other. The atacr supposedly has a much better eye box and better glass/light transmission. Zero lock turret is also a nice feature. Shots will range from 30 yards to 1100 yards.

I love my 4-32. They also have zero locks. One minor thing that really bugged me about the ATACR is how the zoom moves the entire eyepiece. On the NX8 the zoom is independent from the diopter adjustment.

Glass is great on the NX8 but I'm not glassing on a hillside so the slightly better glass on the ATACR wasn't worth the extra money. Eyebox seems ok for me. Can't see any reason I'll ever buy an ATACR...

DaleW

WKR
I love my 4-32. They also have zero locks. One minor thing that really bugged me about the ATACR is how the zoom moves the entire eyepiece. On the NX8 the zoom is independent from the diopter adjustment.

Glass is great on the NX8 but I'm not glassing on a hillside so the slightly better glass on the ATACR wasn't worth the extra money. Eyebox seems ok for me. Can't see any reason I'll ever buy an ATACR...
The Nx8 doesn’t have the zero lock turret.

I'd also go with the Nx8.

Are we talking something proprietary here? Because I definitely set the zero stop on my elevation turret.

Edit - it has a zero stop. Not sure if we are talking something else.

The locking turret is nice on the ATACR but not necessary. All my ATACRs at work lock but my personal scopes do not. Those turrets will not easily move on you with either sight. The ATACR will have a more forgiving reticle viewing area and the 4-16x42mm is one of the best scopes made. The 1-8x and 7-35x are too. Everything else they make is good but those three are awesome.

The NX8 is a bit of a compromise optic, as there are no free lunches. The reticle viewing area is a little more critical but if your gun is well fitted to you and you mount your scope properly then it's a non-starter for me. The image will not be quite as good at higher mag compared to the ATACR but it's a sight, not a viewing device. The advantage goes to the NX8 though if you need to shoot inside of 45yds with magnification (I use it for rimfire). The only NF I've ever sent in for repair was a NX8 4-32x and it's dude-focus/parallax was out of spec. It was a very early production model and they had it back to me in a week.

Aesthetically, the ATACR looks better on a smaller gun and the NX8 looks better on a longer gun.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider

That’s great insight, especially about the eyepiece. I don’t like when they move together either. I’ve owned a few nxs in the past and always wished the diopter was separate.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
The locking turret is nice on the ATACR but not necessary. All my ATACRs at work lock but my personal scopes do not. Those turrets will not easily move on you with either sight. The ATACR will have a more forgiving reticle viewing area and the 4-16x42mm is one of the best scopes made. The 1-8x and 7-35x are too. Everything else they make is good but those three are awesome.

The NX8 is a bit of a compromise optic, as there are no free lunches. The reticle viewing area is a little more critical but if your gun is well fitted to you and you mount your scope properly then it's a non-starter for me. The image will not be quite as good at higher mag compared to the ATACR but it's a sight, not a viewing device. The advantage goes to the NX8 though if you need to shoot inside of 45yds with magnification (I use it for rimfire). The only NF I've ever sent in for repair was a NX8 4-32x and it's dude-focus/parallax was out of spec. It was a very early production model and they had it back to me in a week.

Aesthetically, the ATACR looks better on a smaller gun and the NX8 looks better on a longer gun.
Great insight, thank you.

Conrad

FNG
ATACR all day and the 4-16 is a little tank. I love that scope. I have 3 and never question them and they are in stout company given the rest of my scopes are ZCOs.

atmat

WKR
ATACR all the way, if you’re okay with the bulk and cost. It’s way more proven.

It’s also a much more reasonable mag range for hunting. And because it’s 4x vs 8x, the whole range is far more usable.

The 4-32 isn’t great on low or high end mag. The eye box isn’t as terrible as some people say, but it’s not great.

Edit: by bulk I mean the 34mm rings really.

ATL

FNG
I have owned both. Prefer the ATACR, it is the one I still have on the rifle. I am not an optics expert, just know what I like when I see it.

Nothing wrong with the NX8, just found the ATACR easier to use/better viewing for me. Parallax adjustment is more forgiving on the ATACR.

I did not care for shooting with the NX8 over 18-20x, 12-18x was about where it looked the best in most hunting conditions. So, the ATACR better fit my magnification needs, and looks excellent at 16x if needed.

I like the eye piece rotates when changing magnification. I can grab the entire eye piece, not just the adjustment ring to make a change.

I like the ATACR is a bit more compact (low elevation turret, shorter OAL, 42mm objective).

Any concerns using NX8's given the issues you've had so far?
As mentioned, I also had to return one for a side focus/parallax issue but it was fixed quickly and free of charge. I use it all the time to shoot to 400yds with my .22LR and it works great: it dialed accurately, returns to zero, and the parallax adjustment is GTG. I've used it in endurance sniper matches like Mammoth and regular PRS matches to field test it thoroughly. If I needed to use it for anything right now I would have total confidence.

I can only speak to the ATACR out of these two as it’s been on my primary hunting rifle for the last 4 years. I really love almost about everything about it. It’s been 100% reliable, durable, has tracked consistently since I mounted it. Mine is the Mil-R reticle. You can’t go wrong with it.

4th_point

WKR
Not the OP, but curious which reticle is preferred for mixed terrain? From dark timber to open clear cuts and breaks?

NF reticle selection has kept me from buying several times. Don't need anything fancy just visible for occasional timber use.

atmat

WKR
Not the OP, but curious which reticle is preferred for mixed terrain? From dark timber to open clear cuts and breaks?

NF reticle selection has kept me from buying several times. Don't need anything fancy just visible for occasional timber use.
There is not a great reticle from Nightforce for hunting. Several are serviceable, but they’re not great. Illumination helps. Mil-C and Mil-R are both fine.

4th_point

WKR
There is not a great reticle from Nightforce for hunting. Several are serviceable, but they’re not great. Illumination helps. Mil-C and Mil-R are both fine.
Thanks. That's what I figured but was wondering if I was missing something.